(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

So, I've been reading through HF boards because It's snowing and I'm avoiding as much work as possible, but one of the threads there involved the Rangers and Leafs. Okay, I was interested to see the proposal which involved Girardi and Callahan going to the leafs, pending contract negotiations. I actually think the leafs could use both of these players. Callahan hasn't been too impressive this years, especially with this injuries, but he does play a style that the leafs could really use against the tougher teams that control the puck in their end. Girardi has been playing much better after having a bad first 10 games - that could be contributed to the coaching change and the new system. Anyway, of course the conversation got out of control. The Rangers are looking for a top LW, and a replacement on D - so naturally somebody said we'd want JVR as nobody else can fill that role. (Now don't get me wrong, 2 UFA's don't hold that value, but any GM trading pieces away is looking to fill current holes). This lead to pages about starting with McDonagh if you want JVR, and the other side arguing that McDonagh holds more value than JVR.

So, for the leaf fans, would you trade JVR for Ryan McDonagh? Or is McDonagh overrated?

I admit I don't know much about McDonagh, as I've never watched him play much/at all. But from what HF boards says, he is basically a defensive phenom, just below the levels of Chara/Suter/Weber/etc...

But, saying that....I REALLY like JVR (how did we get him for Schenn?). He makes Kessel better, and when Kessel is better, our whole team is better.

I really like McDonagh, but JVR is incredibly valuable to the Leafs. A true top two defender is needed to pair with Dion, though. Gunnarson is a bit out of place against top lines.

If the Rangers need a trade partner, they will probably need to look out west.

I think McDonagh is really overrated.

Also, the StanlEWB Cup round 2 is about to begin! Avs/Leafs!

Reasons why you think that?

Well, because Colorado and Toronto have the most fans on EWB. So whoever wins the games gets the bragging rights, kind of like whoever wins the cup gets the rights. Probably shouldn't say that from 2-0 down though.

I know :P

I just don't have any simpler explanation than Rangers fans think he's amazing, and I think he's just utterly average. I've not seen much of him, so it could just be that i'm unlucky in what I have seen of him, but he's done nothing to show that he's anything better than "not a liability". I've seen him called "MacTruck" and I rolled my eyes so hard it hurt. I haven't done that for anyone other than Pierre McGuire, or losing 4-0 to the Leafs.

:(

Nashville sent Klein to the Rangers for Del Zotto.

Klein's signed long-term, so that's good for the Rangers, who were looking for a right-handed defenseman anyways.

Nashville seems confident in their ability to re-sign players though, because this is the second pickup (after Dubnyk) that they've made for a player who is coming up to the end of his deal. It's a good pickup though. It will help in the push for the post-season, and if they can get him signed, Del Zotto's ceiling is much higher than Klein's. He also makes them more dangerous offensively.

Klein is a pretty good player to send out unless you have a lot of confidence in Del Zotto rebounding with a move. He's been pretty unimpressive in the bit I've seen this year but has undeniable skill. Hopefully he'll turn it around and get some confidence going because he's looked a bit lost. Nashville's blueline, at least on paper, is going to be a force in the years to come.

Leafs are getting the stellar bailout goaltending that gave them wins before. They've been better about giving up shots and some icetime/assignment adjustments haven't hurt either.

Leafs acquired Brandon Kozun from LA. 10 goals and 19 assists this year, I believe, with the Manchester Monarchs. He's the second leading scorer on that team as of the trade.

I really like Kozun, and I'm not familiar with the guy headed back to LA... Crescenzi?

Big center with size. If he makes the nhl it will be a bottom 6 role.

Isn't he 5'8? 5'9 max, being generous? And 155-160'ish lbs? He's already 23, so I don't see a height increase coming his way. Unless you meant the other guy.

Yeah, I was a little confused because typically Ruki is commenting on leafs. I don't think either makes the NHL. Teams usually try everything they can to do possible to develop big centers, though.

Rangers have a 6'7 D-man they're hoping learns how to skate.