The PS4 thread

9 to 5

I just impulse bought one at Walmart.

You found one? I've never seen one on shelves. I just saw my first Xbox One in the wild yesterday, but PS4s and even Wii Us have vanished in the stores I frequent.

I got mine at Walmart too. I just happened to be in the store and asked. I got one out of the last two in stock.

I'm still leaning towards the One. I think it has the bigger upside and everyone who has one keeps saying something along the lines of, "you just gotta try it." To me, it seems like once they start updating it, it'll be more of a generational leap than Sony's strictly gaming machine.

But I own a Wii U, so what do I know?

I'm not sure how it could ever get updated to be more of a generational leap when it's got lesser hardware. I mean, it's not by much, but it just seems weird to me to suggest it'll be the stronger console in the end when it's parts start out weaker. You can't really patch hardware to be any better, no matter what those websites keep telling you about downloading ram are saying.

But again, I've said it before - it's splitting hairs with this stuff. They've never been so similar before, so it's really pick the brand you like better. If you're a Halo guy, Xbone is for you, if you're more into Naughty Dog productions, PS4 is probably the better choice.

Walmarts across the country got their biggest shipment of PS4s to date yesterday, so I checked the website and it said they were in stock at my store. They were hidden away in the photo department.

Only other time I've seen them out in the wild was on Black Friday, but that's to be expected. I know Best Buy is having a hell of a time keeping them in stock online and in stores.

I don't mean graphics or horsepower, I was talking more about the overall experience. The cable integration (and original programming), multitasking, in-game Skyping, and the continued potential of Kinect, that seems like where they can mine the most "next-gen-ness" out of the next-gen.

But I prefer Sony's first party games, so it's gonna be a tough decision.

I never really was blown away by those features of the One. If either of them have a gamechanger like a watch come out that would be big, but like the big tech leaps of PS3 and 360 they'll feel obsolete within a year or two anyway. That's how fast this stuff is changing. It's why I just want sheer hardware power, everything else is gonna be covered by something else I'll have to own anyway. Kinect could be really great for people into that though.

Eh, that's fair, none of that stuff appeals to me really, so it was an easy choice. I'm not sure I really see the point in in-game Skyping, either. And we don't get like 90% of the cable functionality outside of the US.

Xbone definitely has more interesting launch titles, though. But it also watches me masturbate... and I've already got a streaming service set up to do that, I don't need to be giving it away for free.

I'm not blown away by the features at the moment either, I just think there's more potential there for something big. When the 360 launched, I don't think anyone predicted the game changer Netflix would be.

Not that the PS4 is completely devoid of that kind of potential either, I just think Microsoft's vision is wider, for better or worse.