General Podcast Thread

Hobo

9 minutes ago, K said:

The Behind the Bastard's podcast has done a pretty good takedown of Tommy Robinson for it's latest episode. Definitely recommend it if you wanna know the guys history

I'm not familiar with that podcast, but it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I'll try to give it a listen later.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm not familiar with that podcast, but it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I'll try to give it a listen later.

that was my first time listening to it. It was good. I've gone back to listen to two others as well, also really enjoyed them.

Been getting into podcasts more recently. Only ever really listened to How Did This Get Made and Pip's podcast occasioanlly. 

The Pip ep with Joseph Gilgun is brilliant. Then back-tracked to his ones with Steven Knight and Mark Millar and got a lot out of them.

Does anyone listen to any good fiction ones? Was interested in giving it a go. 

Also open to any recommendations for any film / literature / comic book-y stuff. Or just anything that's standout great. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Been getting into podcasts more recently. Only ever really listened to How Did This Get Made and Pip's podcast occasioanlly. 

The Pip ep with Joseph Gilgun is brilliant. Then back-tracked to his ones with Steven Knight and Mark Millar and got a lot out of them.

Also open to any recommendations for any film / literature / comic book-y stuff. Or just anything that's standout great. 

Film, you say? There's this podcast, Cinemortuary..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Bubble is good. It's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's an American show, but it definitely pays homage to the British sitcom. (not least because it's only like eight episodes long). It's really good. Give it a bash.

11 hours ago, JMarushin said:

My wife and I really enjoy Sawbones  (doctor and her comedian husband do medical history)

And "Cabinet of Curiosities" (Weird tales from history)

That's Dr Sydnee McElroy, and Justin McElroy. If you like their work, their entire family is basically podcast royalty. http://www.mcelroy.family 

MBMBaM is their longest running show, and is one of my top favorite podcasts.

In other news, the new season of The Horne Section has started, It's Alex Horne's podcast with his band, and his first guest is Greg Davies. It is incredibly funny. I listened to it on my run today and I nearly had to stop and sit on a bench I was laughing so hard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GA! said:

200w_d.gif

I really liked the Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island episode. Trip down memory lane for sure. IT'S TERROR TIME AGAIN

7 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

seriously how did i not know about this, that sounds like it was made for me, i'm gonna have to check that out later

Here's the page for it

https://www.maximumfun.org/shows/bubble

It's got a pretty beefy cast as well. Alison Becker (from Parks and Rec) Keith Powell (30 Rock) Mike Mitchell (Doughboys) with cameos from Hodgeman, Martin Starr, Paul F. Tompkin, Lisa Loeb...

About the show

Bubble takes place right now, but someplace else. Specifically, in the Portland-ish town of Fairhaven, a literal Bubble that is, for the most part, sealed off and protected from the otherworldly beasts that live in the surrounding Brush.

The show follows a small band of monster killers, led by the Brush-born Morgan (Becker), as they struggle to make ends meet and find love in a nightmarish version of the gig economy. Part allegory, part commentary, part ass-kicking, this smart, sci-fi-infused comedy ticks lots of pop-culture boxes.

Oh @Jimmy, I forgot about this other podcast you might like

logo.png

The Dead Pilots Society takes scripts for television shows that were never developed by studios, and does table reads for them.

Again, huge names doing these reads, not just your average podcast guys. Busy Phillips, Ben Schwartz, Sarah Chalke, Josh Malina, Skylar Astin, Aubrey Plaza. 

Each episode also has an interview with the creators, so you get an insight into their creative process. Here is the blurb from the latest episode

Our pilot this time is Small Town Love by Sarah Haskins and Emily Halpern (Trophy Wife, Booksmart). Small Town Love is about a sparring mother and daughter in rural Michigan who are forced to lean on each other when they become pregnant at the same time. Listen to Andrew’s interview with Sarah and Emily to hear about how the first script they wrote together, Booksmart, took eleven years to reach the screen; what Emily learned from working with David Mamet; why they made the transition from film to TV; and how you can tell when an idea will actually make a good TV show. Enjoy!

Busy Phillips as Annette

Shannon Woodward as Fanny

Asif Ali as Curtis

Rob Huebel as John

Paul Adelstein as George

Parvesh Cheena as Mr. Karr

Nicole Sullivan as Reality Woman/Ruthie

Liz Jenkins as Beth

Ali Ghandour as Pimply Teen Manager

Greg Santos as Rude Customer

Syd Steinberg as Waiter/Bartender/Store Manager

• Like 2

22 hours ago, K said:

Here's the page for it

https://www.maximumfun.org/shows/bubble

It's got a pretty beefy cast as well. Alison Becker (from Parks and Rec) Keith Powell (30 Rock) Mike Mitchell (Doughboys) with cameos from Hodgeman, Martin Starr, Paul F. Tompkin, Lisa Loeb...

Oh @Jimmy, I forgot about this other podcast you might like

logo.png

The Dead Pilots Society takes scripts for television shows that were never developed by studios, and does table reads for them.

Again, huge names doing these reads, not just your average podcast guys. Busy Phillips, Ben Schwartz, Sarah Chalke, Josh Malina, Skylar Astin, Aubrey Plaza. 

Each episode also has an interview with the creators, so you get an insight into their creative process. Here is the blurb from the latest episode

luv u

On 12/09/2019 at 10:46, Jimmy said:

For literature stuff, check out Backlisted.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed recently is that iTunes doesn't seem to have audio and video podcasts separated any more.

If anyone listens to any of the following, I'd like some recommendations for episodes to listen to:

Omnibus (the one with Ken Jennings) - I already have the English Starling, John Dee and Vending Machines episodes

The Big Loop

Sidedoor

Judge John Hodgman 

Last Podcast on the Left - Have theAdeleide (City of Evil),  Burke & Hare and Jersey Devil episodes