General Podcast Thread

Hobo

10 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I was on a podcast! I was a panelist on a Big Brother recap show for Rob Has A Podcast.

https://robhasawebsite.com/big-brother-bb22-all-stars-wednesday-episode-recap/

I've been all in on this season of Big Brother. I'll definitely give it a listen!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am starting a podcast! 

Hold Up! is a podcast where we look back at LGBTQ+ media and see how it, well, holds up. Our first episode drops this Sunday and will be available on most major podcast apps.

https://anchor.fm/holdup

@holdupodcast on Twitter

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 21/09/2020 at 13:42, GAnta with Muscles said:

Starting to work my way through the Beef and Dairy Network podcast. "It's well known that Richard Curtis slaughters a cow every morning before filming to placate the god, Thor."  :lol:

I have a new favourite Podcast, and it has strong Beef and Dairy energy so I thought you might like it.

It's called the St Elwicks Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast

I don't know why it has so few followers on Twitter, because it's amazing.

The conceit of the show is that a small town in Exeter has had funding for their newsletter cut, so they've changed it to a podcast. It is similar to the Beef and Dairy Network in that it is a sort of absurdist take on a very dry format. 

The host is Mike Wozniak, who you might recognise from Greg Davies' Man Down, and who is frequently on Beef and Dairy.

rhlstp_252.jpg

It has loads of guests from British Comedy. Greg Davies and Rosin Connaghty had small parts early on, Romesh Ranganathan had a whole episode. It's really good. Really funny. Highly recommend.

• 4 months later...
On 15/12/2020 at 18:33, K said:

I have a new favourite Podcast, and it has strong Beef and Dairy energy so I thought you might like it.

It's called the St Elwicks Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast

I've recently listened through all of this, and I absolutely adore it. Brilliant stuff.

I've just listened to the first episode of Three Bean Salad, the new podcast by Mike Wozniak, Ben Partridge of Beef & Dairy Network, and Henry Paker. 

It's nothing groundbreaking in concept - they're given a topic and asked to talk about it with zero preparation. The first episode is "Posters", and it's the first thing I've listened to in a long time that had me genuinely laughing out loud while out walking this afternoon. Discussion of Henry's teenage fantasies, speculation about what posters a teenage Mike Wozniak had on his bedroom wall, and an anecdote about a Santana gig, all brilliant stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah man I was straight on that, it slaps. Filling a My Brother My Brother and Me/wikishuffle sized hole for me. Three people with great chemistry just having a chat. Love it 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RPS changed the title to General Podcast Thread 2021
  • Lineker changed the title to General Podcast Thread
  • 5 months later...

I've been doing a lot of podcasts for a network called Post Show Recaps. I've been doing monthly movie coverage as well as covering the new season of Succession.

Our Dune coverage just dropped
https://postshowrecaps.com/tv-show/dune-movie-review/

Our latest Succession pod
https://postshowrecaps.com/tv-show/succession-season-3-episode-2-mass-in-time-of-war/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I wouldn’t describe myself as a huge Always Sunny fan, I like it well enough, but their podcast is delightful.  All three guys are really funny, and since they’re such good friends it gives the conversations such a natural flow.  Plus you get to hear them discuss the process behind episodes of the show, which is always interesting as well.

Still 100% in love with Three Bean Salad, cannot recommend it enough.

I'm listening to a lot more podcasts than I used to, now that I have a commute that allows for it. 

I'm not generally one for True Crime podcasts and whatnot, but I have a couple on the go at the moment:

Wild Things: Siegfried & Roy is a weekly Apple podcast about Siegfried & Roy, and the incident when the tiger attacked Roy on stage. Sometimes feels like they're padding it out, but it goes into their backstory, the USDA and police investigations, and so on. There's the sense at times that they're looking for a big twist, rather than the story naturally providing one, but it's interesting all the same.

Fake Psychic is, thematically, right up my street. It's a BBC Sounds thing by the people who did Fake Heiress, and it's about a "medium" called M. Lamar Keene who wrote a tell-all book in the '70s about how he conned people, but also about a "Psychic Mafia" that ran the industry and allegedly had a hit out on him. I love stories about con men and magicians and so on, so the subject matter is great, but they do the really irritating Radio 4 thing of dramatising sections of the story, which I don't like at all. Short episodes, though, so easy to keep on top of.

Also, I've been listening to:

Ringheads - a Lord of the Rings retrospective with Bill Corbett from Rifftrax/MST3K, and Sean Thomason, one of the Rifftrax writers. Good mix of insight and not taking it all too seriously, talking through the movies scene-by-scene but with regular comparisons to the books.

Unclear and Present Danger - Podcast looking at political thrillers of the post-cold war, but pre-9/11 era; think Tom Clancy stuff, and anything in that vein. Mostly it's about discussing what those movies say about America's place in the world, and how it viewed itself once it's core ideological rival was effectively finished. Really interesting stuff.

I Don't Like Mondays - I may have mentioned this before. It's by Guy and Catherine Kelly; Guy is a voice actor/comedian, Cat is a philosophy graduate and his wife. It's a Garfield retrospective, where they look at every Garfield comic strip from the beginning, despite neither of them particularly caring for Garfield, and they refuse to do any preparation or any editing. I love it.

I've been working through Kill James Bond! for a couple of months. I'm really enjoying it. It's a retrospective on the entire James Bond franchise that mainly just mocks each film and the actions of Bond in them. The hosts have great chemistry too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think ive mentioned Musicalsplaining here yet.

Initially Lindsay Ellis hosted it with her friend Kaveh Taherian. The premise being she loves musicals and he knows nothing about them so they go to see musicals together and talk about them. Then the pandemic happened and they switched to talking about musical movies.

Then Lindsay Ellis took a break/retired from making internet content and her former editor Angelina Meehan took over the role.

I honestly think Angelina makes the show even better. Because she has the same level of love for musicals as Lindsay Ellis but with a lot more energy. 

The latest ep is about All That Jazz. A movie ive not seen but it made me really want to see it.

• 4 months later...

I'm down to just one podcast that I devour as soon as it drops, which is a shame because at my peak I was on like fifteen. I've got a regular commute again now so would like some more pod.

My favourite podcasts are all embarrassingly similar:

Three Bean Salad
Wikishuffle
(early) My Brother, My Brother, and Me.

Three white men using a user-generated prompt as an excuse for some luke-warm banter.

Now I'm willing to move on the three white men part, but the luke-warm banter is a must. 

It probably stems from my first podcast experience being the Ricky Gervais Show, in which three white men engaged in luke-warm banter.

Other favourite podcasts include The Bugle (luke-warm news banter) and Horne Section (luke-warm banter accompanied by music).

I seem to prefer British podcasts, but I'm not set in stone on that.

Any recommendations?

• Like 1

I listen to four on a regular basis.

True Crime All the Time- the best true crime podcast I've listened to, covering a wide range of lesser known criminals.

TimeSuck with Dan Cummins- funny. Informative, I don't listen to every episode, just the ones that sound interesting.

Old Man and the Three- a basketball podcast hosted by JJ Redick, usually interviewing a NBA player.

Five's a Crowd- my wife's cousin and four of his friends, usually talking about a different topic every week.

My current regular listening (many of which I've probably mentioned in here before):

Three Bean Salad - still the best comedy chat podcast going for my money, consistently laugh out loud funny, and appointment listening; even if I'm in the middle of an episode of something else, I'll always make sure to listen to the Beans as soon as possible after the episode is released.

I Don't Like Mondays - an unedited, unresearched husband & wife Garfield review podcast, hosted by comedian Guy Kelly and his wife Cat Kelly, neither of whom particularly care for Garfield. Starting with the very first strip, they review a Garfield comic panel-by-panel every week. Dave Bulmer, of the Sonic The Comic podcast, once called it a "Garfield Avoidance Podcast", as they tend to put off the actual review part for as long as possible. It's much funnier and more interesting than the concept suggests; two very funny people talking about just about anything but the topic at hand, covering domestic life, the nature of language and creativity, and living with autism and ADHD, all while Cat consistently undermines Guy's efforts to record a professional sounding podcast. It helps that they're both extremely funny. Can't recommend this one enough.

Behind The Bastards - I used to dip in and out of this one depending on the topic, but it's become one I listen to every episode of now. Hosted by Robert Evans, who was an editor at Cracked.com when they were good, looking at the lives of some of the worst people in history. It can vary depending on the guest, and sometimes leans just a little close to edgy humour, but Evans is a great host and can usually be relied on to navigate more sensitive subjects well.

Unclear and Present Danger - probably the most po-faced podcast I listen to, though has its funny moments. A freelance writer and a New York Times journalist review '90s political thrillers and discuss what they tell us about post-Cold War and pre-9/11 America, and its need to find or invent new political enemies. 

Circus Stories - infrequently updated podcast about circus history; usually funny, always interesting, though sometimes irritating when their research can be a bit clunky, and they have a habit of mispronouncing European place names a lot. 

Deserter Pubcast - only recently picked this one up after wandering into a live recording, as they co-own a pub opposite my work. Two middle-aged blokes committed to avoiding work as much as possible, recording in pubs across South London, so it's exactly what that sounds like it would be, really. 

Beyond that, I dip into the odd limited series - I did the BBC's Fake Psychic, the Apple Wild Things about Siegfried & Roy, and am currently working through Deliver Us From Ervil, about Mormon cult murders in the '70s and '80s, but I tend to find they drag things out longer than necessary, and have certain tropes that irritate me, so it just depends how strong the story is whether I see them through. I tend to find true crime quite tedious, so there needs to be a weird edge to it to interest me.

One that's finished now, but that I enjoyed last year, was Ringheads - Bill Corbett of MST3K and Rifftrax, with another Rifftrax writer, rewatching and reviewing the Lord of the Rings movies after both having got really heavily into Tolkien during lockdown.

There was a time I had a podcast for nearly every day of the week. Now I'm down to The Anfield Wrap (and all it's many, many, episodes), No Such Thing as a Fish and The Group Chat (a news podcast hosted by 3 Irish journalists).

Threedom has finished for the moment. Stay F Homekins - the podcast Paul F Tompkins and his wife Janie Haddad Tompkins started druing lockdown is now just once a month.  Musicalsplaining is only released every 2 weeks.

So, I was very happy  to see that The James Bonding Podcast is being released from behind a paywall and they'll be re-releasing the old episodes again on a weekly basis. I hadn't heard the first episode Dr No (w/ Paul F Tompkins) in years at this point and it was such a fun listen. Plus it now gives me a "new" podcast to listen on Wednesdays.

I just haven't found any new podcasts in a while that have managed to grab and hold my attention.

Comedy Bang! Bang! is the only podcast that's almost caused me to crash my car. It's hilarious, insane, and features some of the best improvisers around. 

With Gourley And Rust is a podcast about horror movies, but it's the coziest horror movie podcast around. Unlike most review shows, they seem to always find the positives in the movies they watch - even when they don't like the movie. They started their show by reviewing all the Friday The 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare On Elm Street movies, and right now are watching "Yuppie Nightmare" movies like Fatal Attraction.