MLB 2014 Thread

The Buscher

I watched up until pick 4 to see who the Cubbies got. Had no idea who it was and it was God awfully boring

You had to wait until 4....I waited until 27....The price of having a good team, I suppose. :shifty:

Too high a price to pay. Watching that draft was awful :P

• Like 1

How two minor leaguers earned their medal of honor.

Pretty interesting D-Day article on Deadspin right now.

"Almost immediately on hitting the waist-deep water he was hit by shrapnel," said Second Lieutenant Leeward Stockwell in a 1945 Army press release. "He was hit several times and the worst wound was the left side of his face. Holding the flesh with one hand he carried the set to shore."

Here is the turning point that comes in most Medal of Honor stories. The soldier has done what was asked of him, and done it well. He is hurt, but alive. He is entitled now to take shelter, to scream for a medic. But instead, whether because of discipline or patriotism or madness, he steps back into the line of fire.

As his fellow soldiers tried desperately to reach the safety of the seawall, Pinder turned back to the water. His strength failing, he hefted a second radio onto his shoulder, and made the long, deadly trip again. He had done the impossible twice, and he was not finished. He returned a third time to the half-sunk boat, to collect an armful of code books and spare parts. A burst of machine gun fire raked his legs, but Pinder kept moving.

"He knew the equipment was sorely needed," said his captain. "He knew he was critically wounded. The left side of his face was shot completely away."

So, did anyone see the A's/O's game where the benches cleared because, I don't know, John Donaldson tagged Manny Machado too hard or something? Honestly, looking at the play.. it's nothing out of the ordinary. Looks like a total ordinary tag out, but Machado falls on his ass, throws his helmet and gets up in Donaldson's face. It's.. something.

And then in his next AB, Donaldson gets hit by a guy who hasn't hit a batter all season long. Gee, I bet that's totally not retaliation, huh?

• Like 1

So, did anyone see the A's/O's game where the benches cleared because, I don't know, John Donaldson tagged Manny Machado too hard or something? Honestly, looking at the play.. it's nothing out of the ordinary. Looks like a total ordinary tag out, but Machado falls on his ass, throws his helmet and gets up in Donaldson's face. It's.. something.

And then in his next AB, Donaldson gets hit by a guy who hasn't hit a batter all season long. Gee, I bet that's totally not retaliation, huh?

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33486795/oakbal-benches-clear-after-donaldson-tags-machado/?c_id=mlb

Don't think the hit batter is included in that but had to go find the clip.

Pretty weak, I agree. Machado almost goes back on mostly his own momentum it looks like... Whatever. Funny that the bullpen started running out and didn't even make it past center field all together as two teams lmao.

Pretty pointless bench clear. Machado clearly has a temper we hadn't quite seen before, he's a great young 3B though.

Well after winning 4 of 5 in Philly the Mets predictably got swept by the Cubs, dropped 2 heartbreakers in San Francisco, and very much look like a team in contention for worst in baseball.

Ultimately they need new owners, but the Wilpons have insisted they will never sell controlling ownership. They nearly brought in that David Einhorn guy a few years ago who would have brought in a ton of cash flow, but once they read the fine print stating Einhorn had the right to buy the majority share in 5 years the Wilpons got cold feet. At this point I'm expecting Alderson to leave after the year, as surely he's realized by now he'll never have the payroll flexibility he was promised. Collins will be fired too, but of course they'll need to keep paying him for 2 years since they gave him a pointless extension (the whole "we don't want a lame duck manager" shit is ridiculous, the players tune him out regardless).

Oh and Travis d'Arnaud just got demoted to Triple A. Still cannot figure out big league pitching at the age of 25.

Manny Machado is a dick.

look at that mannny machado is kind of a dick throwing bats everywhere what a twunt

also ,fuk, the cubs lost? our five game winning streak snapped? :( :( :(