The Chivas USA Farewell Tour Thread (2014 MLS Thread)

GoGo Yubari

FIRST KICK TOMORROW !!!!!

All right, some things to follow this season:

- Donovan becoming the all time leading goal scorer .... he needs 1

- Edson Buddle becoming the 8th player in MLS history with 100 goals. He needs 2.

- Nick Rimando catching Kevin Hartman for the career shut out record. He needs 4/5 to tie/pass.

- Sigi Schmid chasing 200 wins and becoming the first manager in MLS history to do hit the mark. He'll need 13.

- MLS in the CCL. The "fear" is gone, and has been for a few years. The clubs are at the point that they expect to get points against Mexican clubs and they are even gearing their approaches to "bigger and better" so to speak. LA and SKC particularly have focused on the roster in order to compete but I think Portland will surprise some people with their make up and style of play suiting CCL (although that'll come later in the year when the 14-15 CCL kicks off). Houston is as deep an MLS team as you can have and will certainly make things difficult.

- NYCFC and OCSC making their first real moves. Orlando has already signed a few guys for their inaugural MLS season but there's plenty left to do. DP's ? Valeri type guys or "superstar" ? It'll be fun to see what happens.

- Berhalter in charge at CLB. He's a "working man" type of coach as he was a player. It fits the city and their approach perfectly, and the new ownership appears to be committed to him unlike his Hammberby "backing" (despite drastically improving the performance of the squad there, 11th to 4th and just missing promotion).

- The new TV deal. Very preliminary reports have surfaced but nothing concrete is floating around. It very well could be a "game changer" quite literally.

They could be pretty bad. The guys refereeing the Sounders and Timbers matches this week are extremely card-happy, apparently.

The funny thing about today's game was that once it hit the 75th minute and it was still scoreless, I just felt this calm come over me, because I knew that we were going to beat SKC in stoppage time yet again, and I was right. Great way to open the season.

Of course, I might be confusing the early stages of pneumonia for calm.

Great opening weekend !

Mauro Diaz is freaking awesome.

Chad f'ng Barrett ? WOW .... although, holy shit did Feilhaber do a masterful job in the midfield (as was shown by the run to that last goal after Feilhaber was subbed out)

Uh, so Vancouver eh ? Although NYRB with Henry and Olave is a bit different monster.

... and Philly's new midfield looked pretty damn good.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO let's not fuck it up eh San Jose ? Maybe try tonight to open up the CCL knock out stage ? That'd be great.

I really hope people aren't watching this one. Just watch Defoe's goals on YouTube because otherwise it's mostly shitty fouls and playacting.

Wow .... way to take a step back guys ... holy shit. SJ was the only club that showed up and honestly, they got screwed .... Gordon was onside. Great effort considering the stitched together lineup they had out there (Harden hadn't played in 11 months, for example).

Great, now we have to wait until this summer when Portland, NYRB, DCU (eesh, unless some major shit happens in the next 6-8 months), and SKC get to go at it (plush whomever out of MTL, VAN, TOR gets in through Canada).

GOOD NEWS THOUGH ! The refs are back for this weekend !

If I liked any of the teams who made it to the knockout stages this year I'd probably have strong feelings one way or the other. SJ pulling out the win would've been a great story but otherwise whatever.