The Chivas USA Farewell Tour Thread (2014 MLS Thread)

GoGo Yubari

Yeah, hrtk, I know what a publicity stunt is. we do have them in our England.

But my reaction to it was "Oh how silly and embarassing."

I'm sure many other people thought that.

But on the other hand I now know a team called Orlando City exists, so maybe it worked on me.

But I don't give a toss, and I think they are idiots now. So it didn't work.

• Like 4

At least Orlando SC actually followed MLS expansion guidelines to get their team. <_<

• Like 1

My opinion on that feud is basically like "well okay then." I think on Miami's end it's more ridiculous because Orlando has a chip on their shoulder for what I think is a fair reason (Orlando getting an MLS team was a lengthy thing with a bunch of hoops to jump through), but making a big deal of "rivals" who don't exist yet is a bad look. Just ignore them. They don't matter yet.

It's not awesome, it's not a horrific embarrassment, but it does make me glad that whoever NYCFC's supporter group is (if they have one yet) hasn't been making a lot of grandstanding at NYRB's general direction even though their club will exist sooner than Miami's and they have a much clearer infrastructure in place. But I guess if they're having fun sniping at each other, whatever. Have fun with that since there won't be an actual game played between the two teams for another two or three years.

I think on the Miami end, it's really more "Well they'll be closest to us so we can road trip over."

But yeah, compared to other rivalries (not just in this sport, I mean, Dolphins/Jets is serious fucking business) it's kind of silly.

Yeah, hrtk, I know what a publicity stunt is. we do have them in our England.

But my reaction to it was "Oh how silly and embarassing."

I'm sure many other people thought that.

But on the other hand I now know a team called Orlando City exists, so maybe it worked on me.

But I don't give a toss, and I think they are idiots now. So it didn't work.

And your reaction and shots were fired was based on little or no knowledge of who/what was involved, the setting it all takes place in, and being about as far removed from the intended audience as possible. Yes, there are plenty of people that have rolled their eyes at it ... and there's plenty of other people (again, in the targeted audience) that have had a good chuckle at the banter.

The stunt got the club name out ... even if some that now know the name think they're stupid. Still though, you know who they are.

At least Orlando SC actually followed MLS expansion guidelines to get their team. <_<

Well, it was quite common knowledge that Beckham's contract included an expansion franchise option. The matter of location was the only thing we didn't know.

However, it isn't like Orlando isn't without its own issues. Their tagline for the publicity stunt doesn't quite work either. "Built not bought" is selective memory/thinking at its finest. The club was bought out (originally the Austin Aztecs), then Clure bought into them, and then they bought the expansion slot ....