The Chivas USA Farewell Tour Thread (2014 MLS Thread)

GoGo Yubari

So with Beckham all set to announce his new Miami franchise in the next hour or so, which cities are likely to get a team next? I'm guessing maybe somewhere like Atlanta or Minnesota?

How many do they eventually want in the league, anyway?

I think 24 is the target number.

As far as cities, IDK. Maybe a mostly untapped market sports-wise. Like, for example, Albuquerque.

And Miami Beckhams FC is officially an official thing.

And if further rumors are true, possibly an Other Florida Derby. So there's that.

San Antonio Hotspur and Miami Victoria needs to happen.

Nowhere in any universe does anything Hotspur need to happen, ever.

Ashley Cole to Miami?

Don't know. They're targeting 2017 for the start ... I don't think that'd be a good bet in 2017 (and it's marginal risk today).

Luke Moore to CHVUSA rumors.

MLS clubs inquiring about Stefano Mauri (that'd be wonderful).

Yay ! We got TWO for the fantasy league. COME ON PEOPLE !

How is bringing Ashley Cole to the MLS a marginal risk today?

33 yrs old, 20 total appearances this season, horrid potential to cost ratio especially at his position, perception of him as player and person isn't exactly doing favors,

20 appearances for Chelsea. Halfway through the season. I still think he'd do a decent job for the Tuscaloosa Smashers or the Poughkeepsie Rustabouts.

• Like 4

In all seriousness, you are crazy if you think Cole wouldn't be a good signing for a MLS club.

"Marginal risk"

How does that imply there'd not be any positives ? I'm looking at things with quite a broad view as a fan of the league.

How is bringing Ashley Cole to the MLS a marginal risk today?

33 yrs old, 20 total appearances this season, horrid potential to cost ratio especially at his position, perception of him as player and person isn't exactly doing favors,

20 appearances for Chelsea. Halfway through the season. I still think he'd do a decent job for the Tuscaloosa Smashers or the Poughkeepsie Rustabouts.

Yeah, just over half of their matches this season. Add to that he wouldn't be here until the season is three months old, will need a bit of resting, then he goes to the World Cup .... the league has been down this road before, and the trend isn't positive.

I'm sure he could do a decent job for them ... and USL Pro would be happy to have him.

Agree to disagree.

I absolutely see risk in any player 33yrs old, amid a season with injury issues, who will arrive at minimum 1/3 of the way through the season, will miss significant time due to the World Cup, won't be available for an indeterminate time after the World Cup, and will demand a high salary.

I guess we just define risk differently.

I saw the talk about Wright-Phillips before and thought that Shawn probably wasn't even good enough for the MLS these days.

But someone is seriously considering buying his brother who somehow has less talent than him?

Why not just get a few journeymen from Scotland, Portugal or Germany?