Champions League 2014/15

DFF

Joe Hart: now played 41 times in Europe. Sagna's played in a European competition for every season in the last 10 years. Kompany for 10 of the last 11, winning one (ok it was the Intertoto Cup, but still). Zabaleta has played in Continental competitions for 8 of the last 10. Kolarov is 6 in 8. Mangala 6 in 7. Clichy has been at European level for the last 11 years (including a final). Demichelis 8 in the last 10, also including a final. Fernando is 6 years a CL player. Milner first played in Europe 10 years ago. Nasri is 8 in 9 years. Jesus Navas is a two time UEFA Cup winner. Lampard is a Europa League and CL winner. David Silva has been in European competition for the last 9 seasons.

Fernandinho is a UEFA Cup winner and 9 years a European level player. Yaya has a CL, Super Cup and World Club Cup to his name, among numerous others. Dzeko first played in Europe 10 years ago. Aguero is a Europa League and Super Cup winner and Steven Jovetic has played in European competition for the last 8 years.

That's not a squad that should be struggling to get past the group stage, no matter who the opposition are.

• Like 1

Why were Man City always going to struggle to make it far? You have a ridiculously good squad and have spent a fortune on it. I don't understand why anyone sees them as underdogs. I get the impression there's a feeling around the club that they are lucky to be where they are whereas Chelsea, when they became a loadsa money club, went all-out to win everything.

By "we were always going to struggle to get very far", I mean that we were drawn into a tough group with Bayern Munich, Moscow & Roma. It's nothing to do with conspiracy theories or ref bias or anything like that. We have a great squad, we should be playing better than we are doing. At no point was I making excuses for my team or calling them "underdogs". And as I said, teams go through rough patches from time to time. As much as I hate to admit it (and trust me, I do), Chelsea have a much better attitude than us this season for whatever reason, and as such are probably going to find more success because of it

I was less worried about Roma & Moscow than Bayern, but I guess we underestimated them, which is never a good idea in football. Incredibly I think it's still possible for us to qualify for the next round, but with no Yaya Toure for the next game/couple of games, it's going to be an uphill struggle. I guess all I can do is keep the faith

Don't know if Lineker or anyone else pointed it out yet, but the ref from the City-CSKA match noted in his match report that the booking he handed out was for dissent, and not mistaken identity towards a player that had already been shown a yellow.

That's one way of clearing yourself, I suppose...

I don't think you were handed a tough group, though. Sure, Bayern are awesome but Roma are nothing special and neither are CSKA Moscow. I guess I want to see Man City do well.

Roma are an excellent side.

They aren't as brilliant as Man City. Or are we just going on the old "foreign, must be good" thing.

Don't know if Lineker or anyone else pointed it out yet, but the ref from the City-CSKA match noted in his match report that the booking he handed out was for dissent, and not mistaken identity towards a player that had already been shown a yellow.

That's one way of clearing yourself, I suppose...

I'd say that's more ridiculous because he absolutely should've showed the other player a booking as well.

• 3 weeks later...

One of those tricky fixtures tonight, wherein a draw would perfectly suit our requirements...but a loss might screw us over massively.

Hopefully we just go all out for the win, instead of tricking ourselves into complacency. Can't underestimate Robbie Di Matteo, either.

• Admin
Manchester City make five changes from the side which beat Swansea at the weekend. Yaya Toure and Fernandinho are suspended. Bayern Munich name a strong side, with just Thomas Muller and Mario Gotze missing out from the team which played at the weekend.
Man City XI: Hart, Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Clichy, Fernando, Navas, Lampard, Milner, Nasri, Aguero.
Bayern Munich XI: Neuer, Xabi Alonso, Benatia, Ribery, Lewandowski, Robben, Rafinha, Boateng, Bernat, Rode, Hojbjerg.

• Admin
Jose Mourinho, as he promised, names a strong Chelsea side as the Blues look to book their spot in the last-16 with a win. The self-proclaimed 'Special One' fields an unchanged XI from Saturday's 2-0 win against West Brom.
Schalke XI: Fahrmann, Uchida, Howedes, Felipe Santana, Aogo, Kirchhoff, Neustadter, Boateng, Hoger, Choupo-Moting, Huntelaar.
Chelsea XI: Courtois, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Fabregas, Matic, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Costa.