Champions League 2014/15

DFF

Still think that's utter shit. One of our players (ramsey i think?) fouled theirs outside our box and got away with it and ever since, that prick Vander boore blatantly singled out Sanchez for revenge.

Shocking lack of ambition from Rodgers tonight. I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Liverpool fan travelling to Madrid for the team's biggest Champions League game in five years and the manager had already decided he'd be proud of a narrow loss with just one shot on target from 25 yards out by the left back.

Such an overreaction from some people on here. What's so wrong with him changing the team?? I mean if somehow we did pull off a result then people wouldn't be moaning. Didn't know changing the squad now automatically means "thrown in the towel". The reaction on here is like he's fielded most of the U18s, suppose if a team now makes several changes in a game they've given in considering the reaction from some on here.

Yes he could have played a lot of the marquee players but they haven't exactly been great this season and the team selected was based on being able to constantly pressure Madrid. Considering how shit we've been over the past few games a 1-0 loss to Madrid with a decent solid defensive performance is a good result. Went from expecting to be on the end of another tonking like last time to restricting Madrid to 1 goal and the fact that the defence was actually pretty solid for a change with Toure having a good game at the back. I've seen much worse line ups put out by us in the Champions League compared to that one and the line up which started today compared to the one the other week against Madrid did so much better.

The game plan with that team would have been to try and nick one on the counter but that didn't happen and didn't really look like happening. Sterling for Markovic would have been a better answer. Gerrard and Balotelli getting rested doesn't really bother me cause Balotelli would have more than likely been a passenger for the match.

Edited by DavidMarrio
  • Like 2

Did it really do better though? Genuine question. Yes it was only a narrow defeat tonight but Madrid had 29 shots to your 4.

Losing 1-0 parking the bus isn't necessarily any better than losing 3-0 having a go. Madrid didn't need to get out of first gear tonight and they still strolled it.

Did it really do better though? Genuine question. Yes it was only a narrow defeat tonight but Madrid had 29 shots to your 4.

Losing 1-0 parking the bus isn't necessarily any better than losing 3-0 having a go. Madrid didn't need to get out of first gear tonight and they still strolled it.

Yes they had a stupid amount of shots, but a lot of them were blocked by the defenders. I think considering where the team is atm in which it feels like Rodgers first season at Anfield and the lack of performances this season bar beating Tottenham and the Swansea cup game we've not been very good yet due to the inconsistency of the league find ourselves hovering a few points shy of the top 4. I just think it's a bit disrespectful to the players to say he's thrown in the towel when Markovic has played in Europe with Benfica, Toure and Lucas have played in the Champions league before. Borini in the Europa league. He had a game plan lookin to soak the pressure up and go on the counter it worked to some extent that being the team defended well, attacking we lacked anything really. But I don't think it would have mattered much cause the only changes to the line up I would have made is Sterling and Coutinho starting.

We have Basel at home and Ludogorets away two wins and we are through. But we have to beat Basel that's the big game due to head to head.

To be honest the some of those that were dropped were the players people keep raising doubts over (Gerrard, Johnson and Balotelli).

Feels like a damned if you do/damned if you don't kind of thing.

Shocking lack of ambition from Rodgers tonight. I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Liverpool fan travelling to Madrid for the team's biggest Champions League game in five years and the manager had already decided he'd be proud of a narrow loss with just one shot on target from 25 yards out by the left back.

That's the one for me. It's all well and good to understand his decision if you're tucked up at home watching ITV, but those travelling fans have spent a fortune to watch a League Cup side in a glorified exhibition game.

I'll take a team of second stringers playing like that at the Bernabeu over a bottomless pit of world-class players parking the bus against beatable opposition.

Name the 'beatable' opposition we've parked the bus against in the Champions League. Go on.

Hint: If it involves Barcelona circa 2008 - 2012 then your answer is invalid.

You're all acting as if the team of guaranteed starters did any better against Madrid. They were worse.

Kolo Toure put in the best performance of any of our defenders this season, and the rest of the defense were first choice. Lucas may not be what he once was, but he's far from "League Cup" caliber, while Allen, Lallana and Can are notching enough minutes in the league to be considered first team. Markovic needs minutes, and Borini had impressed against Swansea. The players that were dropped (Gerrard, Johnson, Sterling, Lovren, Balotelli) are the ones that people have been calling for to be dropped for weeks.

And we didn't park the bus. What game were you watching?

It's true, Liverpool didn't park the bus. They were just too rubbish to get many attacks near the Madrid goal.

And Kolo did have a very good night, it has to be said.

This is it, basically. Good pressing, possession and passing, but not enough quality in the final third. Markovic was really our only threat but it wasn't coming off for him; Borini was too isolated and Lallana was busy trying to help out in midfield. Sterling did nothing when he came on, Coutinho tried but Madrid cut him out, and Gerrard tried his ridiculous Hollywood punts that went to absolutely no one.