The Thread That's on Indefinite Loan to Manchester City (The 2015 Major League Soccer Thread)

HailtotheYo

It's official here in SA ... Hartman has moved over, the city has approved everything with the Stadium deal, and Spurs Sports and Entertainment is fielding a USL team starting in 2016 ... and the very clear intent is on securing an MLS franchise.

LA has transferred Omar Gonzalez to Pachuca ... yup.

And Juninho is the next Galaxy to leave. He's been sold to Tijuana. Galaxy want to bring in Ashley Cole though.

So soon, the Galaxy are going to have no spine to their team except an old and past it Steve Gerrard. Really perplexed by these moves. It seems they've forgotten that stockpiling names isn't how to win in the MLS.

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

And Juninho is the next Galaxy to leave. He's been sold to Tijuana. Galaxy want to bring in Ashley Cole though.

So soon, the Galaxy are going to have no spine to their team except an old and past it Steve Gerrard. Really perplexed by these moves. It seems they've forgotten that stockpiling names isn't how to win in the MLS.

Except that stockpiling names is pretty much how they've gotten it done so far, and it's worked pretty damn well.

• Like 1

Not really. The Galaxy have had their recent success with the triad of Beckham, Donovan, and Keane, but it's been their role players who really made a huge impact. Going back to through their run from the past 4-5 years, they've always had that spine that was integral to their success. The solid keeper (Ricketts, then Saunders, then Penedo), and a reliable back line (Gonzo, Delagarza, Leonardo when actually fit, and of course the departed Sean Franklin and Todd Dunivant). The midfield was carried by having guys like Juninho and Sarvas be the engine, and having Donovan track back defensively, something he was so excellent at. Plus, the constant help from your other solid role players like Magee, Barrett, Buddle, and Gordon.

LA had names, sure, but it was Bruce Arena's incredible ability to know the MLS and who to put where that made the Galaxy great. That's why LA first was awful when it was Donovan and Beckham. A lot of those key role players are either boo longer there or getting too old to produce.

I'm excited for TFC next season. They've broken the playoff drought, and now return for Year Two of the Atomic Ant Era. Adding Will Johnson will definitely help - too often the team was without Bradley due to national team commitments. I am curious if they play Johnson over Cheyrou or not.

Toronto still needs a keeper though. 

Me yesterday: "Wellp, that's it. I thought I couldn't hate the Galaxy more and then reputable sources start saying they're gonna sign Ashley Cole. That's it. That's peak Galaxy hate. It's over."

But nope, they're also reportedly briging in Jeff fucking Larentowicz.