The Thread That's on Indefinite Loan to Manchester City (The 2015 Major League Soccer Thread)

HailtotheYo

*coughNFLcough*

>_>

The only thing you said that I really have an issue with is that Carson very definitely is considered 'LA'. No, it's not downtown, right next to the Coliseum, but neither was the Great Western Forum, and the Lakers were still more of the 'LA' team than the Clippers, who played in the Sports Arena which IS right next door to the Coliseum.

I can't speak for other places, as I haven't lived in any other major metro center, but most people would consider almost the entire county as being 'LA'. Having a stadium downtown wouldn't really make that team any more 'LA' than playing in Carson.

LOL yes the NFL ... which has had two teams in LA (including during the years that built the following it enjoys now) and WILL get one back ...

I get that ... we here in SA have to deal with people from the outside doing a Google Map search of our stadium and then acting like the location is horrid and so far outside SA proper ... when the entirety of the 2m metro population is spread all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy WTF last night in the USOC:

- SJ goes down 2-0 to SAC REP but wins in the PK shootout.

- PHI is held 0-0 by Rochester but wins in the PK shootout.

- Louisville took CHI to extra time before falling 1-0

- and in the holy balls match of the night, POR beats SEA 3-1 as SEA finishes with 7 players and Dempsey was shown a red for ripping up the ref's card book.

aaaaaand we still have Houston going to Austin, The Cosmos visiting NYC, and Charleston going to Orlando that could end up adding to this.

and we have the Cosmos beating NYCFC in PKs to advance, Charlotte beating NE, and Orlando scraping Charleston on PKs 8-7 ....

They round of 16 draw will be geographic in nature so the pots are:

DC

Cosmos

Red Bull

Philly

Charlotte

Chicago

Columbus

Orlando

Colorado

Dallas

Houston

KC

LA

Portland

RSL

San Jose

And here we are:

Round of 16 (June 30-July 1)
New York Red Bulls vs. New York Cosmos (East)
Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United (East)
Chicago Fire vs. Charlotte Independence (South)
Orlando City vs. Columbus Crew SC (South)
Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas (Central)
Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids (Central)
Real Salt Lake vs. Portland Timbers (West)
San Jose Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy (West)

Quarterfinals (July 21-22)
East final (Red Bulls/Cosmos winner to host)
South final (Chicago/Charlotte winner to host)
Central final (Sporting KC/FC Dallas winner to host)
West final (RSL/Portland winner to host)

Some tasty match ups there ..... NY clearly, SJ/LA, SKC/FCD

just for the record: the only US Open Cup match of the round between two professional teams, and Seattle and Portland no less, was given to a referee who had only been the center ref between to MLS teams once and it ended with Gonzalo Segares chasing him around the pitch after getting a red card. PRO Referees is a joke.

just for the record: the only US Open Cup match of the round between two professional teams, and Seattle and Portland no less, was given to a referee who had only been the center ref between to MLS teams once and it ended with Gonzalo Segares chasing him around the pitch after getting a red card. PRO Referees is a joke.

Yeah, there was a whole shit ton of fallout ... and Sigi scaling back some stuff he said about Porter last year after Porter's rant on the ref. It really blows because shit like this is a huge black eye and negates much of the progress we've had.

So. Fucking. Boring. Especially after a ton of indications that they weren't going to follow the Generic English Soccer Team Name trend. Worse yet is that they're not even the only expansion team coming in with that naming format due to Minnesota.

With that sign of "stupid )(&*)(& MLS" I can at least point to some very encouraging signs for the league:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/25/fc-dallas-ink-youngsters-tesho-akindele-mauro-diaz-moises-hernandez .... FC Dallas inking those guys to long term deals is pretty freaking huge.

7 matches moved to ESPN:

Seven MLS Matches Moved to ESPN
Beginning this week with MLS Rivalry Weekend, seven Major League Soccer matches initially scheduled for ESPN2 will now air on ESPN. In addition to the network change, two of the seven match windows – both during MLS Heineken Rivalry Weeks – have been expanded to include 30-minute pre-game shows (June 28 and August 30). The start times for two matches (July 12 and August 23) have been moved to 3 p.m. MLS matches now scheduled for ESPN:

Date Time (ET) Match Platform(s)

Sun, Jun 28 4:30 p.m.

MLS Sunday Pre-game Show - #RivalryWeek ESPN 5 p.m.

New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Deportes Radio***

Sun, Jul 12 3 p.m.

New York City FC vs. Toronto FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 23 3 p.m.

Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York City FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 30 4:30 p.m.

MLS Sunday Pre-game Show - #RivalryWeek ESPN 5 p.m.

Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Sep 20 5 p.m.

Portland Timbers vs. New York red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Sep 27 5 p.m.

Sporting Kansas City vs. Seattle Sounders ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Oct 18 5 p.m.

TBD – MLS Flex Schedule ESPN, ESPN Deportes

This better happen. Friberg would be a great addition to the midfield and he's absolutely beloved by hardcore fans. Really I want all of my 2011 Sounder faves back in some form, and this would be a good follow-up to hiring Roger Leveque to a community outreach position.

But the real reason why I came into this thread was because holy SHIT Real Salt Lake what a goal.

Great atmospheres for both matches yesterday.  Wish SEA would have been full strength though ...

Rob Heimann name dropped Marko Marin yesterday in the pre-game ... I'd love to see that.  Holy hell.

Also, Taylor Twellman with the holy shit of the day:

Frieburg is official now.

On the heels of Twellman reporting it, we have fresh talk on Gio: http://Giovani dos Santos no jugará la próxima temporada en el Villarreal. El club ha intensificado en estos últimos días las negociaciones para encontrar una salida al futbolista después de su bajo rendimiento la pasada temporada y todo apunta a que Los Ángeles Galaxy de la Major League Soccer será su destino.

As always, when the Galaxy really want a new thing the rules are adjusted to give it to them. For all intents and purposes, it looks like a fourth DP spot is opening up.

I honestly think this is more than just LA pandering.

It would allow RSL to bring back Yura, prevent the scenario we had with TFC before the season with Gilberto, allow Kries to sing the DP he wanted instead of being told by Man City to take Pirlo, give Portland and Dallas the ability get another Valeri or Castillo, allow Orlando to entice a Chicarito, Seattle to spend more of the money the are clearly willing too etc etc etc ....

This was also talked about (at least some form of it, and the fact that there will still roster mechanisms in the works) right after the CBA was agreed .. so it isn't like this is coming from nowhere just because LA wants to sign another superstar.

Oh, plenty of teams are going to take advantage of this, including mine for sure, and I was shocked it wasn't announced before the start of the season. I just wanted to bag on LA.

• Like 2

Oh, plenty of teams are going to take advantage of this, including mine for sure, and I was shocked it wasn't announced before the start of the next season. I just wanted to bag on LA.

... and bagging on LA is always the right answer. Yeah, I'm sure this was one of those "divided" instances that they agreed upon implementing but gave themselves the extra months to hash out the minutia. It seems like it was planned a bit to capitalize on the Gold Cup and heavy International play in the first half of the season.