The Thread That's on Indefinite Loan to Manchester City (The 2015 Major League Soccer Thread)

HailtotheYo

Los Angeles FC have been announced as a new franchise, from 2017.

Well, TAFKA Chivas USA.

It was the stadium plan announcement ;) The franchise was announced back in October. It's actually not TAFKA CUSA ... completely different entity, slot in the league, etc. Still "deciding" on name although many feel they'll stick with LAFC.

Yeah they'll begin play in 2018 due to the stadium deal. Most likely that'll move Minnesota up to 2017. 22K stadium capacity and Wahl is saying that it is being built with expansion to 30K in mind.

CFVkGAlW8AAygOZ.jpg

USOC RESULTS:

• Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) 3, West Virginia Chaos (PDL) 0 | RECAP
  • Wilmington Hammerheads (USL) 1 (3), Chattanooga FC (NPSL) 1 (5) | RECAP
  • Richmond Kickers (USL) 2, Virginia Beach City (NPSL) 0 | RECAP
  • Rochester Rhinos (USL) 1, Greater Binghamton Thunder (NPSL) 0 | RECAP
  • Lansing United (NPSL) 0, Louisville City (USL) 1 | RECAP
  • Reading United (PDL) 0, Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) 3
  • Charleston Battery (USL) 1, Miami United (NPSL) 0 | RECAP
  • Charlotte Independence (USL) 4, Upward Stars (NPSL) 1 | RECAP
  • Long Island Rough Riders (PDL) 0, Real Monarchs (USL) 1
  • Jersey Express (PDL) 1, New York Red Bulls II (USL) 0 | RECAP
  • Seacoast United Phantoms (PDL) 0, Tulsa Roughnecks (USL) 1 | RECAP
  • Saint Louis FC (USL) 2, Des Moines Menace (PDL) 1 | RECAP
  • Midland/Odessa Sockers (PDL) 1, OKC Energy (USL) 3 | RECAP
  • Austin Aztex (USL) 2, Laredo Heat (PDL) 0 | RECAP
  • Colorado Springs Switchbacks (USL) 2, Harpo’s FC (USSSA) 1 | RECAP
  • PSA Elite (USASA) 2, Orange County Blues (USL) 1
  • Arizona United (USL) 0, Chula Vista FC (USASA) 3
  • LA Galaxy II (USL) 1, Ventura County Fusion (PDL) 2 | RECAP
  • Sacramento Republic (USL) 4, Sonoma County Sol (NPSL) 2
  • Seattle Sounders 2 (USL) 4, Kitsap Pumas (PDL) 2

Some upsets in there ... in total 3 full on amateur sides beat professional clubs and 2 of the MLS II sides lost (including Los Dos). Biggest news is that we'll get another Queso Bowl in San Antonio when we host the Austin Aztex !!!!!

SOOOOOO here is where we stand with the full Third Round schedule and home teams listed first:

• Seattle Sounders 2 (USL) vs. Portland Timbers 2 (USL), 4 pm ET
  • Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) vs. Rochester Rhinos (USL), 7 pm ET
  • Richmond Kickers (USL) vs. Jacksonville Armada (NASL), 7 pm ET
  • Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL), 7 pm ET
  • Chattanooga FC (NPSL) vs. Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Carolina RailHawks (NASL) vs. Charlotte Independence (USL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Charleston Battery (USL) vs. Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Indy Eleven (NASL) vs. Louisville City (USL), 7:30 pm ET
  • New York Cosmos (NASL) vs. Jersey Express (PDL), 8 pm ET
  • Saint Louis FC (USL) vs. Minnesota United (NASL), 8 pm ET
  • Tulsa Roughnecks (USL) vs. OKC Energy (USL), 8:05 pm ET
  • San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) vs. Austin Aztex (USL), 8:30 pm ET
  • Real Monarchs (USL) vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks (USL), 9 pm ET
  • Ventura County Fusion (PDL) vs. PSA Elite (USASA), 10 pm ET
  • Sacramento Republic (USL) vs. Chula Vista FC (USASA), 10:30 pm ET

Nemeth had a great match list night (2g, a) as an absolutely paper thin SKC beat NE 4-2.

and the match ups for the next round when the MLS clubs get in:

June 16:

• New York City FC at New York Cosmos (NASL), 7:30 pm ET OR Jersey Express (PDL) at New York City FC, 7 pm ET*
  • Rochester Rhinos (USL)/Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) at Philadelphia Union, 7:30 pm ET
  • Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)/Chattanooga FC (NPSL) at New York Red Bulls, 7:30 pm ET
  • Minnesota United FC (NASL)/Saint Louis FC (USL) at Sporting Kansas City, 8:30 pm ET
  • Louisville FC (USL)/Indy Eleven (NASL) at Chicago Fire, 8:30 pm ET
  • Oklahoma City Energy FC (USL)/Tulsa Roughnecks at FC Dallas**, 9 pm ET
  • Colorado Springs Switchbacks (USL)/Real Monarchs SLC (USL) at Colorado Rapids, 9 pm ET
  • Chula Vista FC (USASA)/Sacramento Republic FC (USL) at San Jose Earthquakes, 10:30 pm ET
  • Portland Timbers at Seattle Sounders, 10:30 pm PT

June 17

• Orlando City SC at Charleston Battery (USL), 7:30 pm ET OR Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) at Orlando City SC, 7:30 pm ET
  • Charlotte Independence (USL)/Carolina RailHawks (NASL) at New England Revolution***, 7:30 pm ET
  • Columbus Crew SC at Richmond Kickers (USL), 7 pm ET OR Columbus Crew SC at Jacksonville Armada (NASL), 7:30 pm ET
  • D.C. United at Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL), 7 pm ET OR D.C. United at Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL), 7:30 pm ET
  • Portland Timbers 2 (USL)/Seattle Sounders 2 (USL) at Real Salt Lake, 10 pm ET
  • PSA Elite (USASA)/Ventura County Fusion (PDL) at LA Galaxy, 10:30 pm ET

Date TBD

• Austin Aztex (USL)/San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) at Houston Dynamo, 9 pm ET

CCL Draw

Group A: W Connection (Trinidad & Tobago), Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica), Santos Laguna (Mexico)
Group B: Isidro Metapán (El Salvador), CS Herediano (Costa Rica), Tigres (Mexico)
Group C: Verdes FC (Belize), San Francisco FC (Panama), Queretaro FC (Mexico)
Group D: Central FC (Trinidad & Tobago), CSD Comunicaciones (Guatemala), LA Galaxy (USA)
Group E: CD Walter Ferretti (Nicaragua), CD Motagua (Honduras), Club America (Mexico)
Group F: Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Canada), CD Olimpia (Honduras), Seattle Sounders FC (USA)
Group G: Santa Tecla FC (El Salvador), CSD Municipal (Guatemala), Real Salt Lake (USA)
Group H: Montego Bay United (Jamaica), Arabe Unido (Panama), D.C. United (USA)

I see no reason why we can't have everyone advance .... save for whichever of SEA/VAN loses out.

Am I the only one that doesn't see a need for a second LA team?

I mean, maybe if you put them in Anaheim, but every 'second' team in this area is far behind the original in terms of fanbase, despite runs of success. LA2 would just be the Clippers/Angels/Ducks top the Galaxy's Lakers/Dodgers/Kings.

Give it to do region it would be better supported in.

I mean, maybe if you put them in Anaheim, but every 'second' team in this area is far behind the original in terms of fanbase, despite runs of success. LA2 would just be the Clippers/Angels/Ducks top the Galaxy's Lakers/Dodgers/Kings.

You leave the Angels alone, you!

I'm not against it because the market exposure and money involved in the investment to set it up (you know, correctly this time) speaks volumes for the league and domestic product (much like the money behind NYCFC). The MLS needs that .... as far as we've come, having two clubs in the major markets is still a huge bump.

Yeah, there'll always be a secondary nature to one of the clubs when there's two located there ... but with the comparatively level playing field with what kind of team you can put out there, there's no reason that LAFC (or NYCFC) can't be the dominant club or on equal footing to the already established Galaxy/NYRB.

and uh, the Ducks aren't exactly slouches ....and had one of the best players in the last 25yrs (if not ever).

I'm not against it because the market exposure and money involved in the investment to set it up (you know, correctly this time) speaks volumes for the league and domestic product (much like the money behind NYCFC). The MLS needs that .... as far as we've come, having two clubs in the major markets is still a huge bump.

Yeah, there'll always be a secondary nature to one of the clubs when there's two located there ... but with the comparatively level playing field with what kind of team you can put out there, there's no reason that LAFC (or NYCFC) can't be the dominant club or on equal footing to the already established Galaxy/NYRB.

and uh, the Ducks aren't exactly slouches ....and had one of the best players in the last 25yrs (if not ever).

It has absolutely nothing to do with how good the teams are, I mean, the Angels have won one (two?) championships, and, on the whole, been better than the Dodgers since 1988, the Lakers are a dumpster fire while the Clippers are exciting and make the playoffs, and the Ducks have been, arguably, on par with the Kings over the last decade or so, but those teams will ALWAYS be 'second' to the original.

As it stands, it could be argued that the Galaxy are, historically as well as currently, the best team in the MLS. They have the most championships, and are able to spend the money to bring over the 'best' (or best known) players. Landon Donvan, arguably the best American international player of all time, and David Beckham, arguably the best known player internationally, played for the Galaxy. They are basically the Lakers of the MLS, a high profile team with high profile players that wins a lot.

Any second team you bring into the marketplace is going to be the Clippers. At least with the Angels and the Ducks, they're in a separate city, in a different county, even if they're only like 30 minutes away by freeway. If they put the team in Anaheim, they might be able to grow the same, small but fiercely loyal, fanbase that the Angels and Ducks have. If they're forced to play in the same stadium as the Galaxy, they'll become, at best, the Clippers, where people only care about them if the Lakers/Galaxy are down, and then, as soon as there's the glimmer of hope of the 'real team' becoming good again, they'll be gone. Worst case, they end up like Chivas USA...folded.

I just think that, at this point, MLS would be better served putting the team elsewhere, trying to expand the brand, rather than putting a second team in a city that already has a very successful team. You can argue that there's enough of a fanbase here for a second team, but, honestly, if someone here is a fan of soccer, and they're NOT a Galaxy fan, it's because they're a fan of a Mexican team or a team from somewhere else in the world. There isn't a demand for a second LA soccer club.

Is there any place that I can find 2014 MLS's clubs total revenues?

Not yet ... last full numbers available are for 2013

Any second team you bring into the marketplace is going to be the Clippers. At least with the Angels and the Ducks, they're in a separate city, in a different county, even if they're only like 30 minutes away by freeway. If they put the team in Anaheim, they might be able to grow the same, small but fiercely loyal, fanbase that the Angels and Ducks have. If they're forced to play in the same stadium as the Galaxy, they'll become, at best, the Clippers, where people only care about them if the Lakers/Galaxy are down, and then, as soon as there's the glimmer of hope of the 'real team' becoming good again, they'll be gone. Worst case, they end up like Chivas USA...folded.

That's just it though, they aren't going to be in the SHC with the Galaxy, they're going to be "in LA" just like NYCFC is pinned to be "in NY." Both of these moves are very purposeful for the league and its image. Think about it ... they managed to NAIL one of the clubs (Galaxy) despite not being able to "do it right" and have the club actually be an LA club. Being out in Carson isn't the same as being next door to the Coliseum just like Harrison isn't NY. They tried pandering but that was a disaster (CHVUSA) and at least from the outside looking in and from what many within the league have stated ... there's plenty meat left on the bone out there for a fan base. Now, you're there and I'm not going to question what you say about the people out there ... I just feel that a truly "LA" based club would have a very good chance especially with the "status" driven following of the Galaxy (much like the Lakers).

I just think that, at this point, MLS would be better served putting the team elsewhere, trying to expand the brand, rather than putting a second team in a city that already has a very successful team. You can argue that there's enough of a fanbase here for a second team, but, honestly, if someone here is a fan of soccer, and they're NOT a Galaxy fan, it's because they're a fan of a Mexican team or a team from somewhere else in the world. There isn't a demand for a second LA soccer club.

There may not be an outright public demand, but looking at the people involved with the ownership there certainly suggests there's more than enough interest. This is the tricky part about the league though. It is still gaining "corporate" traction so to speak. It was flat out ignored by big business for a while and there is still a rather large section of that portion of America coming around to it. I think the league is smart to strike while they're the hot ticket and cool thing to do, especially in the two highest profile markets. Seriously, how great would it be for the league to say .. hey look, we managed to make the Galaxy a reality and just look at what they've done with titles, players, and global recognition AND over in the NY market area we were able to create something big enough for a global company to plop down hundreds of millions of dollars for investment and has managed to bring in a name or two that people across the world know .. all while only having the backing and belief of those of us that already knew about and were sold on the sport. Just image what an LA club could be now that everyone is on board ...

... and I agree with you about putting teams elsewhere. And I'd be more on that kick but they are putting teams elsewhere. Orlando, ATL, MINN are all serving significant areas that weren't before. In terms of expanding the brand, having two clubs in the two biggest markets is more of a standard/rung on the ladder/etc than the vast majority of expansion areas that are left out there. There isn't a major sporting league in this country that doesn't have AT LEAST two clubs in the LA/NY SMA ... and some have more than 2.

*coughNFLcough*

>_>

The only thing you said that I really have an issue with is that Carson very definitely is considered 'LA'. No, it's not downtown, right next to the Coliseum, but neither was the Great Western Forum, and the Lakers were still more of the 'LA' team than the Clippers, who played in the Sports Arena which IS right next door to the Coliseum.

I can't speak for other places, as I haven't lived in any other major metro center, but most people would consider almost the entire county as being 'LA'. Having a stadium downtown wouldn't really make that team any more 'LA' than playing in Carson.