Superman 64 Discussion Thread

Benji

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...

• BATMAN!
    • LEADER!

People are so sensitive. If someone calls GamerGate sexist, it doesn't mean that everyone who was ever involved with the GamerGate movement is sexist or that everyone who uses #GG hates women. Just like when I say the Toronto Maple Leafs suck, it doesn't mean every single person associated with the team sucks. Or just when I say the movie Argo sucks doesn't mean that everyone involved with the movie sucks.

The problem I find with the 21st century is that people are afraid to be called on their shit, as if being associated with something that is racist or sexist or homophobic is the worst thing that could ever have occurred to somebody.

Maybe, just maybe, some of the things you like suck. Like the keyboard I'm typing on - it sucks. It was probably made in a factory with oppressive working conditions, made by individuals who don't have the greatest lives. That doesn't mean that I'm a terrible person because I used the keyboard. It means that there are huge systemic issues in the world that can't be solved by one individual. Or even look at the WWE, a history of sexists, homophobic and racist angles and characters. Does it make me a racist or a sexist to watch the product? No. It simply means that I'm part of a society that sucks and marginalizes certain voices. It doesn't mean I have to get defensive about it, it probably means I should accept that some of the things I partake in are problematic, try to be aware about it, argue for change and move along.

This isn't about ethics. Ethics in journalism has been a huge issue since journalism has existed. Look at the Iraq war 10 years ago. Arguing that there is a problem with journalism ethics in relation to GamerGate is opportunistic. It is seizing on an opportunity to suddenly care about an issue because the people involved make you feel awkward because they may be putting out that some of the things you consume may be problematic. It makes you look like a mental lightweight, because nobody was talking about the issues before and suddenly it becomes convenient to bring up because a bunch of people you'd like to disrepute are involved in it.

• Like 6

People are so sensitive. If someone calls GamerGate sexist, it doesn't mean that everyone who was ever involved with the GamerGate movement is sexist or that everyone who uses #GG hates women. Just like when I say the Toronto Maple Leafs suck, it doesn't mean every single person associated with the team sucks. Or just when I say the movie Argo sucks doesn't mean that everyone involved with the movie sucks.

The problem I find with the 21st century is that people are afraid to be called on their shit, as if being associated with something that is racist or sexist or homophobic is the worst thing that could ever have occurred to somebody.

Maybe, just maybe, some of the things you like suck. Like the keyboard I'm typing on - it sucks. It was probably made in a factory with oppressive working conditions, made by individuals who don't have the greatest lives. That doesn't mean that I'm a terrible person because I used the keyboard. It means that there are huge systemic issues in the world that can't be solved by one individual. Or even look at the WWE, a history of sexists, homophobic and racist angles and characters. Does it make me a racist or a sexist to watch the product? No. It simply means that I'm part of a society that sucks and marginalizes certain voices. It doesn't mean I have to get defensive about it, it probably means I should accept that some of the things I partake in are problematic, try to be aware about it, argue for change and move along.

This isn't about ethics. Ethics in journalism has been a huge issue since journalism has existed. Look at the Iraq war 10 years ago. Arguing that there is a problem with journalism ethics in relation to GamerGate is opportunistic. It is seizing on an opportunity to suddenly care about an issue because the people involved make you feel awkward because they may be putting out that some of the things you consume may be problematic. It makes you look like a mental lightweight, because nobody was talking about the issues before and suddenly it becomes convenient to bring up because a bunch of people you'd like to disrepute are involved in it.

...I feel like I understand and like your posts a lot more now.

• Like 1

...I feel like I understand and like your posts a lot more now.

tumblr_mwull3t5Vm1rnjfjfo1_400.gif

• Like 10

What if I didn't see Argo, but did see The Town and thought it was a good movie and Ben Affleck, while sort of lacking lately as an actor, is a good director?

B-Sba46CUAAopd3.jpg

(NOTE: NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE IF YOU HAVE NOT LIVED IN THIS FUCKING FEVER SWAMP SINCE AUGUST I HAVE I HAVE FEVER SWAMP WAR STORIES)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Werewolf_of_Fever_Swamp.jpg

I think Sousa is R.L. Stine

This is the internet. You can't think like that. You either hate his guts or love him unconditionally.

I"ll hve you know that 90% of us think Affleck is a good director and can't stand that you lump us in with the 10% extremists! #AffleckGate

• Like 1

Well, having read through this thread, I'm going to go back to playing PC games from defunct game publishers because I like nostalgia. Cheerio.

I play single player PS3 games that I pinch from my brothers PS+ subscription whilst occasionally trying to teach my 3 year old how to play Mario Kart Wii. I'm so far from gamer culture. Its wonderful.

• Like 2