lol, FIFA

• Admin

ZURICH, Feb 26 (Reuters) - South African Tokyo Sexwale pulled out of the race to become the next president of FIFA on Friday, announcing in mid-speech that he was suspending his campaign with immediate effect. Sexwale had been seen as the outsider in the five-man race. "I have got a surprise for you. My campaign ends today and I
suspend my participation. With only four people, it is your problem now," he said, speaking after the other four candidates. Sexwale had not been backed by his own African
confederation, with CAF making public in January its support of Asian confederation president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa.

I'd much rather Infantino lead Fifa than Salman. Anyone but Salman (not including Batter of course) really. I thought Prince Ali was the best bet of the lot but, Infantino seems alright and hopefully he has some idea of how big a task this is.

Maybe this thread needs a new title now.

I'd much rather Infantino lead Fifa than Salman. Anyone but Salman (not including Batter of course) really. I thought Prince Ali was the best bet of the lot but, Infantino seems alright and hopefully he has some idea of how big a task this is.

Maybe this thread needs a new title now.

• Admin

David Gill, the former Manchester United chief executive and Fifa vice president, is expected to be offered a leading role in repairing the dire financial situation of the crisis-hit governing body.

A qualified chartered accountant who already sits on Uefa’s finance committee, Gill is likely to be offered a role on Fifa’s finance committee and could even be made chairman.

Given Fifa’s parlous financial situation, the composition of the finance committee is expected to be a priority for the new president, Gianni Infantino.

It was confirmed last week that Fifa was facing a $100m (£72m) loss this year and is staring at a $550m financial black hole given huge unexpected expenditure on lawyers, deserting sponsors and low staff morale.

Gill, also an FA director and a Uefa executive committee member, said he would be prepared to take a role on Fifa’s finance committee if asked.

“We have to see what will happen in terms of the finance committee chairman and the composition of the committee,” he said following Infantino’s victory in the race to succeed Sepp Blatter. “Having said that I now sit on Uefa’s finance committee and I have also had that role at the Premier League so I would certainly be prepared to do it at Fifa.”

Fifa’s problems under Blatter could be summed up by the fact that the disgraced and discredited duo of Julio Grondona and Jack Warner were chairman and deputy chairman respectively for a long period.

Under new reforms to be passed by Fifa next week, the chair of the finance committee can be independent but does not have to be. But any Fifa executive sitting on the committee must have a relevant financial qualification, putting Gill in a small minority.

On Friday Gill said he had faith that Infantino would begin to reverse Fifa’s commercial fortunes, with 27 of 34 sponsorship slots remaining unfilled before the 2018 World Cup in Russia and amid a stalled attempt to relaunch its portfolio.

“Now we have got a new start, the sales process will start and the sponsors will start coming in. He’ll look at the cost structure of the organisation,” said Gill, who remains on the Manchester United board but has concentrated on his international role since standing down as chief executive in 2013.

“Let’s not do anything silly but at the same time the World Cup is a fantastic product and, given what rights values are going for in football, the World Cup is a great commercial property.”

Gill, who has ruled out becoming Uefa president, also said he believed Infantino would be able to build an effective team to rehabilitate the battered reputation of Fifa. “What he can do – and what he has done at Uefa – is build a good team around him,” Gill said. “It’s not just one person doing it. Yes, he’s president and he’ll set the tone. But, at the same time, he will understand he’s got to do it with a team.

“I’m very confident he’ll build a team to do it. He’s got a great understanding of what it takes to run Uefa, he can use those skills and translate those on to the world stage now.”

As promised, on Monday Infantino will begin his attempts to “bring football back to Fifa” as president by playing in a match at the governing body’s headquarters alongside staff and guests.

It was confirmed last week that Fifa was facing a $100m (£72m) loss this year and is staring at a $550m financial black hole given huge unexpected expenditure on lawyers, deserting sponsors and low staff morale.

Provided they haven't thrown away all of the billions they took in over the preceding years on bribes and holidays then they surely should have no problem just absorbing these temporary losses.

Wait...

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the newly designed 67 team world cup, taking place as such illustrious footballing sites as Tahiti, Sark, and Rothera Research Station, British Antarctic Territory.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Documents have been seized during a search of the French football federation headquarters as part of a Swiss investigation into the former Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

The office of Switzerland’s attorney general said the FFF had consented to the search, which was carried out on Tuesday with the cooperation of the French financial prosecution office.

Criminal proceedings were opened against Blatter last September over a $2m (£1.4m) payment he approved from Fifa funds to Michel Platini, then Uefa president, in 2011.

Blatter and Platini were both banned from football for six years after an investigation by Fifa’s ethics committee. They are appealing against the sanctions at the court of arbitration for sport.

Both men have denied wrongdoing and claimed they had a verbal deal for additional salary that Platini would receive for working as Blatter’s presidential adviser from 1999 to 2002.

Before the payment was revealed in September, Platini had been the leading candidate to succeed Blatter as president in Fifa’s emergency election on 26 February.

The payment emerged during a wider investigation led by Switzerland’s attorney general, Michael Lauber, of Fifa business. Platini’s status in the Swiss investigation is “between a witness and an accused person,” Lauber has said.

Blatter also faces allegations of misappropriation of Fifa funds during his 17 years as Fifa president, which formally ended two weeks ago. He allegedly arranged an undervalued deal for 2010-2014 World Cup broadcast rights for the Caribbean with the former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner.

Platini has previously said he asked Blatter for a salary of 1m Swiss francs when he was approached in 1998 to work for the newly elected president. Blatter said there was a contract for 300,000 Swiss francs, the same as Fifa’s then secretary general, in line with its salary structure, plus a “gentleman’s agreement” to get the rest later.

Swiss law obliged Fifa only to pay the deferred money within five years. It was not until 2010 that Platini reportedly asked for the balance, and it was paid in February 2011.

That timing has raised suspicion as the payment came during a Fifa presidential election campaign. Uefa later urged its members to support Blatter, who promised them it would be his final term, against Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar.

Blatter won the 2011 election unopposed after Bin Hammam was implicated in bribing Caribbean voters. From then on, Platini was the most likely successor to lead Fifa after Blatter.

Instead, Platini’s long-time right-hand man at Uefa, Gianni Infantino, won the Fifa presidential election last month.

• 2 weeks later...