lol, FIFA

Just now, Adam said:

Not the same number if problems, I do 't think. You wouldn't need penalty shoot-outs in the group for one. Every team would get four matches at a World Cup insread of the two that some whipping boys are gonna get, and it'd lead to a last 16 rather than a last 32 and the quality teams would almost certainly rise to the top and get through a 5-team group, thus the quality remains intact.

How about 4 groups of 10?

Do we think Oceania would be better served as a sub-set within the AFC's qualifying program? I know travel could be an issue, but I'm sure FIFA have the dosh to be able to subsidise it.

11 hours ago, TCO said:

Theoretically you could have a group of Germany, Colombia and Jordan. What's the point in watching a minnow getting smashed and two other teams playing a pointless game to go to a knockout of 32?

Or you could get a group of say Costa Rica, Italy and England...

29 minutes ago, MDK said:

It is my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard.

Truer words were never spoken.

There could be some merit to amalgamating Oceania into Asia as some Pan-Pacific region or whatever, especially if they're considering merging the Americas. Then you have 4 qualifying sections to yield the 48 teams and it could be distributed more evenly.

Just now, Adam said:

Truer words were never spoken.

There could be some merit to amalgamating Oceania into Asia as some Pan-Pacific region or whatever, especially if they're considering merging the Americas. Then you have 4 qualifying sections to yield the 48 teams and it could be distributed more evenly.

Like @DFF said travel would be an issue for the smaller Oceanic clubs

I see there being two ways around that:

1. FIFA subsidises their travel.

2. You make the OFC qualifying section a subsection of AFC. Instead of the winner going to the inter-conference play-offs, you could have, say, the top four* qualify for the Second Round of AFC qualifying. That way, those four teams will play at least 8ish games against teams more closely ranked to them from AFC.

* I went with four as, in the OFC's Second Round, they have two groups of four. While the top three from each qualify for the Third Round, only the top two from each additionally qualify for the OFC Nations Cup knockout stage. You could have the OFC-centric First Round be a straight up qualifying campaign for the Nations Cup, saying that the four that make it would also qualify as OFC's representatives in AFC Second Round.

I've probably put too much thought into this. :shifty:

2 hours ago, Noah said:

@MDK in his acting days. I think he may have been in Tomb Raider as well. He turned down Angelina which is why she slummed it with that Brad guy for so long.

Might have dodged a bullet there. I do like some titties.

2 hours ago, DFF said:

I see there being two ways around that:

1. FIFA subsidises their travel.

2. You make the OFC qualifying section a subsection of AFC. Instead of the winner going to the inter-conference play-offs, you could have, say, the top four* qualify for the Second Round of AFC qualifying. That way, those four teams will play at least 8ish games against teams more closely ranked to them from AFC.

* I went with four as, in the OFC's Second Round, they have two groups of four. While the top three from each qualify for the Third Round, only the top two from each additionally qualify for the OFC Nations Cup knockout stage. You could have the OFC-centric First Round be a straight up qualifying campaign for the Nations Cup, saying that the four that make it would also qualify as OFC's representatives in AFC Second Round.

I've probably put too much thought into this. :shifty:

That could work

Found the article on the proposed CONCACAF / CONMEBOL merger:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/11/world-cup-48-teams-football-concacaf-conmebol

Because I have nothing better to do, I've taken a stab at how you could combine the two (spoilered for length):

Spoiler

Assumptions:

Based on the 2018 entry, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL have 45 teams between them.

The Guardian's guess that a combined conference would yield 14 spots.

Round 1

Top 17 nations receive a bye.

The remaining 28 are divided up into 7 groups of 4. Round robin, home and away. The 7 group winners progress to Round 2.

Round 2 / Final Round

7 group winners from Round 1 join the 17 teams that received a bye to form the 24 team final round.

To preserve some historical nod to the popular 'Hexagon' format, the 24 are divided into 4 groups of 6.

The top 3 from each group (12) qualifies automatically. The 4 4th place sides are drawn against each other in to a two-legged play-off game. The two winners progress to the WC.

In the above system, the top ranked sides play 10 games - a healthy amount (more than Europeans play) but does open up their fixture list a bit. The smallest sides get to play six games guaranteed (more than the smallest CONCACAF nations do now) and against better competition than they are used to, which should help improve them over time. The nations just behind the top 17 (ie favourites to progress from R1) would only play a total of 16 games - the same as the top ranked CONCACAF sides and two less than all CONMEBOL sides do now.

For a laugh, I looked up who the Top 17 would be:

Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Uruguay, Ecuador, Honduras, Peru, Paraguay, Panama, Bolivia, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago, and Jamaica.

It sort of works out well, as the gap between Jamaica (85th) and the next team (Haiti, 117th) is quite a decent amount.

The top 12 of those are all good sized nations with pedigree at past tournaments. I've always wanted to see Venezuela and Jamaica qualify as well, for no particular reason.

Although that list of 17 would see every single South American side qualify for the finals, which seems a bit redundant.

Just now, Adam said:

The top 12 of those are all good sized nations with pedigree at past tournaments. I've always wanted to see Venezuela and Jamaica qualify as well, for no particular reason.

Although that list of 17 would see every single South American side qualify for the finals, which seems a bit redundant.

They'd qualify for the final qualifying round, not the WC itself. Plus it would be fluid - if any CONCACAF sides overtook the CONMEBOL sides over time, then so be it.

1 hour ago, The Colly and the Ivy said:

I want Jamaica to do a 98 style, Charlton's ROI-esque grab of any English player who's ever tried Reggae Reggae Sauce again.

Kevin Lisbie to come out of retirement to lead the Reggae Boys to World Cup glory

2 hours ago, Menorah Julep said:

Even if it wasn't, I am assuming they would take the six teams in the hexagon and have them qualify and Canada hasn't made the hexagon in over 20 years.

WTF are you talking about hexagons for?

40 minutes ago, MDK said:

WTF are you talking about hexagons for?

The final round of CONCACAF qualifying is a six team group that's long since been given the nickname of 'The Hexagon'. 

7 minutes ago, DFF said:

The final round of CONCACAF qualifying is a six team group that's long since been given the nickname of 'The Hexagon'. 

referred to as 'The Hexagonal'

I'll credit Wiki for that. I also didn't know this, but I felt like being that guy who wikis shit just to wiki shit for the sake of wikiiing shit.

Or something.