lol, FIFA

Meh, I get both sides of this. The format is a bit shit but I do understand the argument of wanting new teams to be involved, but the draw will be heavily focused on seeding so you'll get groups like Germany, Russia and Kuwait so the 3rd team in most, if not all groups will have no chance of progressing anyway.

12 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Meh, I get both sides of this. The format is a bit shit but I do understand the argument of wanting new teams to be involved, but the draw will be heavily focused on seeding so you'll get groups like Germany, Russia and Kuwait so the 3rd team in most, if not all groups will have no chance of progressing anyway.

If a team were good enough they'd qualify, it's not a charity. It's the pinacle of football and now we get to see Germany and Spain beat the living piss out of a mickey mouse Asian country in a 3 team group because a bunch of greedy dickheads want another 0 in their bank account.

3 hours ago, Kaney said:

Finally a chance for us to qualify :w00t:

My initial response was "Well Atleast Scotland, Canada and New Zealand will qualify now" 

Shit let's just have the Commonwealth start our own World Cup (yes, with blackjack and hookers) and do away with this FIFA nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Davidmarrio said:

See I'd love that.  Either stick with seeding and splitting the teams into two brackets of 32 or just go fuck it, you can draw anyone at any time. Germany vs Spain in the very first round. 

I would love that as well. Fuck the seedings, you might end up with some great matches. I'd love it to be done as an FA Cup draw, televised live with a guest celebrity or something. First draw you get President Obama, next round draw The Pope comes out or something. 

15 minutes ago, Slogger said:

My initial response was "Well Atleast Scotland, Canada and New Zealand will qualify now" 

Shit let's just have the Commonwealth start our own World Cup (yes, with blackjack and hookers) and do away with this FIFA nonsense. 

That would be great fun to have inbetween international tournaments even if it was under23's or something.

• Like 2

• Admin
56 minutes ago, Slogger said:

You say Canada but there is some talk of merging the North and South American qualifying sections.

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

You say Canada but there is some talk of merging the North and South American qualifying sections.

Which would leave the US and like 12 South American teams? 

That Commonwealth U23s Cup idea sounds like a goer actually... Wait doesn't the Comm Games have a soccer tournament? 

I was listening to the football coverage on Radio 5 on the way back from the gym and they were discussing this and it was all just really Eurocentric and xenophobic. Moaning that 'one in four' teams would qualify and totally disregarding that smaller confederations are woefully under represented (ie. Europe, 55 countries, 14 qualifiers. Africa, 56 countries, 5 qualifiers. Asia, 47 countries, 4 qualifiers).

To play Devil's advocate, the only way you're going to expand and improve the game into regions like Asia, Africa and Oceania is to give them more opportunities to qualify and in turn, give them more opportunities to play against big teams. If a better chance of qualifying for the World Cup helps national FA's get more government funding, which leads to more kids playing the game, that can only be a good thing for the long term benefit of a lot of emerging nations. For example, look at African and Asian countries in the last 30 years, they've gone from whipping boys to competitive and we've seen a massive influx of quality players from those regions into the big leagues, an even more recent example in another sport would be the rapid improvement of Bangladesh as a test Cricket playing nation.

• Like 4

As I said before I'm not against the idea of expanding and I do think currently Europe especially and South America take up a fair chunk of the 32 teams in a supposedly global tournament. 

Just the idea of 3 teams group stages is ridiculous.  For examlle one team will have finished their group matches before the other two teams have..

• Like 1

If they wanted to give the other continents are a fair crack then they should assign more .5 places. Let all the 2nd place European teams face a two legged play-offs against the Asian, African and Oceania teams rather than each other. Like we did in 2002 when we had to beat Iran to go to the finals. 

See how many of their teams make it then. I don't see the purpose in adding shit teams for the sake of it. Theoretically you could have a group of Germany, Colombia and Jordan. What's the point in watching a minnow getting smashed and two other teams playing a pointless game to go to a knockout of 32? It achieves nothing and removes any semblance of drama and importance in the group stages. They've already ruined the Euros, where "European Champions" Portugal couldn't win a group game, finished 3rd and still won it. This is also without taking into account collusion in the 3rd game, dead rubbers and fucking penalty shoot-outs in group matches FFS.

It's for no reason other than money and it's ruined the best month of football there is every 4 years and really taken away any urge I have to travel to one which has always been a dream.

13 hours ago, Lineker said:

Source?  That would be... interesting. I guess from a numbers perspective, it's only 10 more teams in CONCACAF's system.

On a somewhat related note, I have a look at the FIFA rankings and noted the breakdown in the quality of teams.

Based on the December FIFA rankings:

Top 25
16 UEFA
7 CONMEBOL
2 CONCACAF

Top 50
28 UEFA
8 CONMEBOL
7 CAF
4 AFC
3 CONCACAF

Top 100
42 UEFA
27 CAF
12 CONCACAF
10 CONMEBOL
9 AFC

New Zealand was OFC's highest ranked team at just outside 100th (about 109th ish).

It always kind of bothered me when the people pushing for Australia to move into Asia kept talking about the benefits that the move would have to the sport in Australia but nothing was said about what leaving Oceania would meant for the rest of the teams in that confederation.

I mean in theory it would be one step closer to a regular world cup spot for New Zealand and one other team could grab a spot in the final qualifying match and maybe cause an upset but how do New Zealand and the other countries get any better playing one less quality team on a semi-regular basis?

To be fair Tahiti qualified for the Confed Cup the other year instead of New Zealand, but yeah Australia moving out of that region didn't really help the rest of Oceania.

I think an increase to 40 teams, 8 groups of 5 would have been better. This number of teams dilutes it too much and the group format is atrocious.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

To be fair Tahiti qualified for the Confed Cup the other year instead of New Zealand, but yeah Australia moving out of that region didn't really help the rest of Oceania.

I think an increase to 40 teams, 8 groups of 5 would have been better. This number of teams dilutes it too much and the group format is atrocious.

With 8 groups of 5 wont we still end up with the same problem as groups of 3?

29 minutes ago, MDK said:

With 8 groups of 5 wont we still end up with the same problem as groups of 3?

Not the same number of problems, I don't think. You wouldn't need penalty shoot-outs in the group for one. Every team would get four matches at a World Cup instead of the two that some whipping boys are gonna get, and it'd lead to a last 16 rather than a last 32 and the quality teams would almost certainly rise to the top and get through a 5-team group, thus the quality remains intact.