Tennis!

sahyder1

Murray serving for the match. He's picked up a little knock it seems as well, just hope he sees this through then a couple days off to rest before Nadal (maybe).

Edit: Murray wins it 6-3 6-4 6-4.

Edited by Starvinho

Kvitova through to the final after a just above average match really, which was a shame after such a fantastic time the women have had at Wimbledon this year. Right person went through though, I fancy her to play well in the final too.

Lisicki/Sharapova up next, could be a good match if Lisicki can calm her nerves.

I don't really give a toss about Murray, and much prefer Nadal as a player - he's much more fun to watch - so I'm rooting for Rafa in this one.

That said, my sister is a ridiculously huge Rafa fan, so I'll never hear the end of it from her if he loses, while my boss is a friend of Judy Murray, so I'll never hear the end of it from him if Murray loses. I can't win either way.

• Like 1

Sharapova through, deserved overall. Not at her best, but still just too good for Lisicki overall. Feel quite sorry for Lisicki who gave it her all, but her serve and a few mistakes let her down today. Would of really liked to have seen Lisicki in the final, but quite like Sharapova so all is well I guess.

Sharapova was there for the taking today, she didn't play well at all. I just think the occasion got to Lisicki in the end but a better player would have beaten Sharapova easily. Lisicki should hopefully only get better from this point and I could see a slam in her future for sure.

Yeah, I think it all got a bit too much of a pressure cooker environment for Lisicki, who genuinely has looked like the best player out there so far this tournament. Both of them were quite underwhelming matches though, and I wouldn't bet against Kvitova in the final, she's easily been one of the most improved players on the tour so far this year.

I also find it quite funny how much more exciting womens tennis is at the moment compared to the men's side.

I also find it quite funny how much more exciting womens tennis is at the moment compared to the men's side.

I don't really think women's tennis is all that exciting right now, but it is definitely more wide open since no one is capable of dominating the sport at this moment. Wozniacki is a paper # 1, but would never be the favorite in any big event. The Williams sisters are finally starting to break down. Clijsters is already planning to retire again after getting more done in her comeback than she did in her entire "first career". Li and Schiavone are reaching career highs in rankings and winning Slams in their late 20's/early 30's and there isn't a single teenager worth a damn out there. Sharapova is a shadow of her former self, but is poised to add to her GS title collection just because the competition is about as weak as it's been in the last 20 years. It's gotten so bad that the last three new players to hit # 1 (Jankovic, Safina and Woz) have 0 majors between them and if you go back to include Ivanovic she won a major and then fell off of a cliff.

Edited by naiwf
  • Like 1

The womens game is only arguably more interesting because none of them seem to be able to string together more than a couple of titles. Too many players have one good tournament and then seemingly dissapear again.

Me....I'd rather watch the better tennis, which is currently being played on the mens side.

• Like 1

The womens game is only arguably more interesting because none of them seem to be able to string together more than a couple of titles. Too many players have one good tournament and then seemingly dissapear again.

Me....I'd rather watch the better tennis, which is currently being played on the mens side.

Exactly. From the Quarters on at the big events, the women's game seems to be one of "who can choke less today?". You often see one of the top ranked women dominate the first 4 or 5 rounds and then choke to death once the pressure ramps up.

For example, Sharapova won today's match in straight sets with 4 fewer winners than errors and a 1st serve percentage of 48% because she broke Lisicki 6 times in 10 chances. Statistically, Sharapova was terrible and yet she still won without breaking a sweat.

Tsonga-Djokovic are first on Centre Court tomorrow followed by Murray-Nadal. If Djoko manages to win he'll be world #1 next week no matter what Nadal does, and for the run of games he's had he deserves it. I'm gonna predict Tsonga and Murray to get through though, it's asking alot for Murray to beat Nadal but I just have a feeling he'll have one of the best games of his career.

Both Murray and Tsonga COULD win, no doubt about it...but I don't think they will. It should be too excellent matches though, and I'd love to see Djokovic get to world #1.

It'd be just typical if Murray beat Nadal and then lost to Tsonga in the final though, not that I'd be too disappointed because Tsonga is awesome...actually any one of the four semi-finalists winning will suit me fine.

Shame Lisicki couldn't handle Sharapova despite her awful service game, she's done excellently well to come this far. Sharapova will not beat Kvitova on Saturday if she doesn't pick the serve up though, Kvitova is too powerful.