WWE 2K16

Chris2K is running down the street as fast as his legs can carry him, knocking down boxes and fruit carts to serve as obstacles in his wake as a shop assistant trails behind him, promotional insert waving in his outstretched hand as he cries "Sir, excuse me, sir! You forgot your Terminator pre-order bonus!"

• Like 11

Why the negativity? It's quirks like this that endear me far more to a wrestling game than a po-faced simulation ever could. Give me Zombie Finlay, Candice Michelle turning male wrestlers into women with her magic wand and a story mode in which you hurl builders off scaffolding to their deaths in the quest to ruin Wrestlemania over improved finisher animations any day of the week.

• Like 5

Why the negativity? It's quirks like this that endear me far more to a wrestling game than a po-faced simulation ever could. Give me Zombie Finlay, Candice Michelle turning male wrestlers into women with her magic wand and a story mode in which you hurl builders off scaffolding to their deaths in the quest to ruin Wrestlemania over improved finisher animations any day of the week.

IT'S 2015 AND EVERYTHING'S SUPER SERIOUS.

I hope they just go apeshit with it and start throwing all sorts of shit in there. About 15 attires for Arnie. Terminator 1, Terminator 2, Terminator partially skeletal, Conan attire, Predator attire, Last Action Hero attire, Kindergarten Cop attire, Jingle all the Way attire, Mr. Freeze attire, Total Recall attire, Governor of California attire. Season pass bonus DLC Twins attire that comes with Danny DeVito as his manager.

• Like 7

Wrestling games, like any other sports games, live and die by their built-in, die-hard fanbase.

Those people are the people who value gameplay modes, mechanics and customization more than they value wackiness and fun additions.

That isn't to say that there isn't room for those things, but if the game isn't visibly better in those core aspects... then additions like guest characters are later viewed as fluff, bullshit additions that are meant to distract from the fact that the game itself is still lacking.

I got a lot of people to give the game on current-gen a try this year because of 2k price drops and the satisfaction guarantee that my company promotes, so that they could bring it back if they didn't like it. I'd say it was about fifty-fifty on people being stoked on the game after I convinced them to give it a shot. The gameplay was great, and it looked like a million bucks for the most part... but if the game isn't drastically improved this year, 2k and WWE are going to lose those customers.

Casual gamers aren't going to make up for those lost sales, no matter which guest characters are put in, or how many different versions of John Cena and Mark Henry are in the roster screen.

Has there been any news about the create-a-superstar mode yet? I really hope they update that. The CAS mode has always been one of the strong suites of the game series. I think the only games who had a CAS mode more in depth were the N64 games.

I just hate that the gameplay hasn't really advanced all that much since the PS2 days.

Still, this is a possible purchase for me. I'll listen to feedback first.

Go and try a PS2 game and tell me the same thing. I had a go at Here comes the Pain recently, because I remember loving that one. I barely got through one match, the controls were absolutely dire compared to what we have now.

It's an exaggeration, admittedly, but the gameplay hasn't advanced much. They bring in different gimmicks each year like 'new' grapple and submission systems but it's still not great. And Universe mode sounds like the most tacked on thing ever.

I like the idea of Universe Mode, but it's always had too many bugs to function properly. One of the problems is that this is an annual series, meaning that, while some features might be introduced or tinkered with, others will remain completely unchanged due to time constraints. Universe Mode falls into the latter category, which is a shame because, with a bit of attention, it could be so much better.

• Like 3

I just hate that the gameplay hasn't really advanced all that much since the PS2 days.

Still, this is a possible purchase for me. I'll listen to feedback first.

Go and try a PS2 game and tell me the same thing. I had a go at Here comes the Pain recently, because I remember loving that one. I barely got through one match, the controls were absolutely dire compared to what we have now.

I actually JUST played this last night testing out my new computer rig and yeah, I was going to say the exact same there.

There is very, very little when it comes to anything that actually carries over from Here Comes The Pain - I mean the speed and feel of the game is still closer to Smackdown! 2 (which I also tried and holy fuck) than anything else.

I can say one thing - wrestling games have evolved a hell of a lot more than any sports game on the same release schedule.

• Like 1