Syndergaard's repertoire during yesterday's start:

Fastball (97-100 MPH)
Slider (92-95 MPH)
Changeup (88-92 MPH)
Curveball (80-82 MPH)

I don't know what I like more.  The fact that he struck out 7 of his 9 hitters on the slider after only striking out 11 with his slider all of last season, or that the fastball of the Royals' start was slower than Syndergaard's changeup.  Good lord.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Greg Maddux is one of the best pitchers of our lifetime and his fastball peaked in the mid-80's. Speed can be overrated.

No question about that.  I've seen plenty of guys come in and just huck the ball in the upper 90s without any sort of approach or command.  Syndergaard however averaged less than 2 walks per 9 innings as a rookie while also averaging 10 strikeouts per 9.  He definitely seems to "get it" in terms of mixing his pitches to keep guys off balance and I'm probably more excited about watching his games than any other Mets starter (well, except for when Bartolo Colon has to hit :D ).

Maddux will always have one of my favorite stats ever.  133 unintentional 3-0 counts in his entire career.  That's 20,284 batters faced.  Simply absurd.

Ouch. 

According to ESPN, the Cubs are looking at calling up Munenori Kawasaki to fill Schwarber's roster spot. He should be a fine body to fill the gap, but I can't say I think it's a great idea - he's always been a middling-at-best player, seemed like he never really adjusted to playing in the MLB as opposed to playing in Japan. I'd rather see someone with more of an upside get the call up.

12970837_1079750788766224_68822577648940

Got chills watching that last banner go up yesterday, even if it hurts a bit knowing they were an ill-advised Familia quick pitch and two fielding errors away from it saying "World Champions".

That 1999 one though...ugh.  That's probably up there on the list of dumb sports banners.  I loved the 1999 Mets and it was the first time in my life that I saw the Mets make the playoffs.  But the "& Division Series Winners" bit is just stupid on the level of the Colts AFC Finalists banner.  It also makes the 2006 Mets who were way better than the 1999 Mets look worse because their NLDS win went unmentioned.

If they must have a banner for every playoff team it should just say "1999 NL Wild Card Winners", but even then you're still celebrating finishing in second place without technically being a champion of anything.  There's not a whole lot more room on the ledge where these things are so maybe a few more division titles will force them to jettison it altogether.

I'm still waiting for the day a team who made it to the Wild Card game and lost puts up a banner just for having technically made the playoffs.