Loving what I've seen from the Mets of late.  If there's anything to gripe about so far, it's been Harvey (and he's on my fantasy team, naturally).  It's not even just that he's been bad this year.  It's that he's come up with excuses for each start so far.  He blamed the blood clot for his Opening Night performance which I was okay with, but then he blamed the long layoff between starts for his bad performance in the next game, and he's blamed the weather twice and being sick twice.  Enough.

David Wright is playing with a debilitating back condition that very few athletes have ever played through, but he's never given any excuses despite looking awful at times this year.  He just says he needs to play better and goes about his business.  And that's a guy who has contributed way, way more to the franchise than Matt Harvey.

Wright didn't make a big deal about his rehab last year, either.  He stayed out of the public spotlight and busted his ass off to get back on the field.  Harvey meanwhile publicly sparred with the Mets over not wanting to rehab in Florida like everybody else when he was recovering from TJS.  Then he fought with the Mets about wanting to come back and pitching meaningless games in September 2014 just to show that he could do it.  Then he complained about being skipped in starts last year only for he and his agent to do an about-face express concern about his innings as soon as it became clear the team was postseason bound.  If it weren't for the fact that it would have totally killed his Dark Knight image and all but ensured that he'd get traded out of the biggest media market in the country, I bet he'd have asked to be shut down.

If he pitches well, I can put all of this aside because the team doing well is what I care about most.  But right now he's not pitching well and I'm just tired of the excuses, especially coming from a guy who arrived to camp out of shape in the first place.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Meacon said:

Yankees scored seven runs tonight which nearly equals their total runs scored all season. <_< I fear we've splooged our wad for the rest of the month on a game where we gave up no runs.

I'm glad the Orioles got both a game where they give up a lot of runs and a game where they can't score runs out of the way in the same day personally.

I wasnt gonna bring this up at all in here but the fact that my local paper now covered it and its relation to said sport, well here yall go.

http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-majestic-workers-ironpigs-rally-20160505-story.html

If you got any questions ask away and if I can Ill answer it for yall since I work at majestic.

10 hours ago, Meacon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If you consider yourself even a smidge bit nerdy (or "romantic") about baseball then this article should be a good read for you:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/heres-what-happened-when-we-tried-to-play-moneyball-without-any-money/

I was 15 minutes late leaving for work because I started reading this article. 

• Like 1

I've been pretty sick the last few nights and I was laying in bed watching the game.  Colon's HR made me jump out of bed and somehow gave me like a 30 minute boost of energy where I felt great all of a sudden.  Called my dad to celebrate as if it was a friggin' World Series game.  :D

• Like 2

Nationals lock up Stephen Strasburg to a 7 year, $175 million extension with an opt-out clause after either the third or fourth year.  By far the most money given to a pitcher after having TJS, and it also means the free agent class for pitchers this offseason is pretty much barren.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

This has become one of my favorite weekly features:  Nastiest Pitching GIFs from the Weekend

That Porcello one is sick.

It's a shame they only do the weekend. Chris Sale struck somebody out last week and it moved so much that after he swung and missed, it still hit the batter in the leg.

13 minutes ago, Buschtolo Colón said:

Nationals lock up Stephen Strasburg to a 7 year, $175 million extension with an opt-out clause after either the third or fourth year.  By far the most money given to a pitcher after having TJS, and it also means the free agent class for pitchers this offseason is pretty much barren.

Damn it. I was hoping he'd ask for so much they wouldn't be able to afford it and he'd he pitching in the Bronx on Opening Day 2017. :(