On 4/9/2016 at 11:56, Buscha Syndergaard said:

12970837_1079750788766224_68822577648940

Got chills watching that last banner go up yesterday, even if it hurts a bit knowing they were an ill-advised Familia quick pitch and two fielding errors away from it saying "World Champions".

That 1999 one though...ugh.  That's probably up there on the list of dumb sports banners.  I loved the 1999 Mets and it was the first time in my life that I saw the Mets make the playoffs.  But the "& Division Series Winners" bit is just stupid on the level of the Colts AFC Finalists banner.  It also makes the 2006 Mets who were way better than the 1999 Mets look worse because their NLDS win went unmentioned.

If they must have a banner for every playoff team it should just say "1999 NL Wild Card Winners", but even then you're still celebrating finishing in second place without technically being a champion of anything.  There's not a whole lot more room on the ledge where these things are so maybe a few more division titles will force them to jettison it altogether.

I'm still waiting for the day a team who made it to the Wild Card game and lost puts up a banner just for having technically made the playoffs.

Not to be a dick, but it seems really strange to put up a banner just for making the playoffs. Division Champions? Sure? If  you're a Wild Card who wins the league/conference? Of course. Just being the Wild Card? Pass.

2 hours ago, DMN said:

Not to be a dick, but it seems really strange to put up a banner just for making the playoffs. Division Champions? Sure? If  you're a Wild Card who wins the league/conference? Of course. Just being the Wild Card? Pass.

I think it's a little different in baseball when only 4 teams in your league make the playoffs. That 1999 team is a 97 win team. 

The Mets seem to be afraid to remove that banner because the 1999 Mets were very popular and, record-wise, one of the best Met teams ever assembled.  They've also been trying to remedy the complaints about the first few years of Citi Field's existence that there is very little Mets history in there and it's mostly just the Wilpons indulging in their Brooklyn Dodgers love affair.

But I'm totally fine if they take that banner down someday.  They're called championship banners, there is no such thing as a Wild Card or Division Series champion.  It was a fun team but they have Ventura's bat or something from the Grand Slam Single game in their team museum along with other memories from that team.  That's more than enough.  Better than permanently memorializing a year in which the Braves won the NLCS and the Yankees won the World Series.

Seriously?

If anyone wants to own a piece of a baseball team, you can buy stock in the Braves. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well when it was offered yesterday.

Edited by GhostMachine

It would be mighty hypocritical of Disney not to fire him, considering the stance they took on Georgia's anti-trans law.

As a HR person stuff like this just kind of baffles me.  I mean as terrible and misguided as his opinions are...how dumb do you have to be to continually post things after being warned/suspended by your employer for doing it?  I always hear people complain that it's not right that a company can potentially fire you for posting your opinions on social media, but if they have a policy on it and you post things that directly contrast with your company's beliefs - they can.  If you don't like it, work somewhere else.

Come to think, I almost wonder if Schilling is just actively daring them to fire him at this point.

Add "good judgment" to the list of things Curt Schilling can't wrap his head around, alongside "run a video game studio", "take criticism" and "get along with teammates". >_>

• Like 1