MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I jumped back into my White Sox franchise for the first time in a few months, and the team I've built is an absolute monster. Best in the league in batting average and on base, top ten in power, above average in defence, and with a pitching rotation with an 85 overall in the fifth starter spot. 

The big downside? This team is going to explode after the season, with my best position player (Trevor Story) and two of my better pitchers (Reynaldo Lopez and Robbie Ray) needing big money extensions. 

On 26/10/2019 at 16:16, Gabriel said:

I haven't had that in this year's game... but once in MLB 18, I finished the year and was headed into the post-season, and for whatever reason, the CPU kept five or six guys from my expanded roster and sent a bunch of guys down to the minors who had been on my major league team all year. I ended up getting knocked out in the ALDS. Two of the guys they kept were depth options at starting pitcher who were over the hill and had been absolute shit in the minors all year for me.

It's the only time I've come across that happening. Every other year in game, it always just keeps the guys that were on my 25 man roster prior to the expanded rosters in September.

I've sometimes had it where I only have 24 guys on my roster in the playoffs, which is super annoying because it typically means I have a short bench. I find the playoff roster stuff isn't very intuitive and rather frustrating. 

13 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

No difference. Just keep check swinging, grounding out or popping up to any fielder possible.

Are you feeling it's a timing thing, an aiming thing, or a sight thing as far as hitting is concerned?
I.e., are you whiffing/slicing often, or are you hitting balls?

Because honestly the best you can do is use the default swinging system, and learn timing above all. If you're getting hits, keep the aiming thing in the middle of your strike zone, and try to time it correctly.

Also take the camera that makes the strike zone as large as possible, which makes it easier to identify and ignore pitches that don't go towards the strike zone.

Personally for me, i'm also on Amateur+ or something like that on the dynamic difficulty. Hitting is significantly trickier than pitching (which I am on Legendary on).

Also remember, going 1 for 4 in a game is regarded as being an average batter (League Avr is .248), If you go 1 for 3, you're a great batter.

Finally, if you're in career, even as a player with an archetype all about contact, you start with lower skills so even in the minors batting isn't a guarantee... In the game it takes longer to progress as a batter than it is a pitcher.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Thanks 1

I'm on such an easy setting there's no such thing as a ball, everything is in the strike zone.

It has to be a timing thing, although I wish I knew why it was checking my swing when I'm going for it.

I'm also willing to bet that impatience is a major factor <_<

Just now, Chris2K said:

I'm on such an easy setting there's no such thing as a ball, everything is in the strike zone.

It has to be a timing thing, although I wish I knew why it was checking my swing when I'm going for it.

You check swing when you press but not hold your swing button, for the full follow through you just need to hold it.

Also, also, (all the alsos), the circle is a contact swing which is weaker but gives you higher odds on getting contact. The square is a power swing. Try to avoid power swinging unless you're really confident about the next pitch being dead center. Power swings have a slightly slower timing too compared to normal and contact swings.

• Thanks 1

On 02/11/2019 at 17:48, Chris2K said:

I find the CPU pitchers are too good at nailing the strike zone with every pitch, so I go into the sliders and turn down their strike frequency and pitch accuracy just a little every year.

I have found hitting to be much more difficult this year than last, with a lot of my wins in franchise being very close games, and me being forced to strategize more because I'm not hitting dingers like crazy... and then I play a game today where my Pirates just absolutely explode on the Braves for 22 runs, with 8 homers. I also played two minor league games prior to that, hitting one home run and scoring 6 total runs between the two games.

Part of me wants to adjust the sliders to avoid these, but I also know that I've been struggling in comparison to last year's game with consistent hitting, so I'm thinking it's more just a lucky game than anything else. My Pirates are sitting at the top of the division, but like I said, most of the games I've played have been very close, and I've been losing more this year than last.

• 4 weeks later...

Sony has confirmed a new contract with San Diego Studio to make The Show for the next few years. More interestingly, however, is the revelation that the games will be coming to "console platforms beyond Playstation" from 2021. Both the Xbox and Nintendo Twitter accounts shared the news, so we might be seeing The Show on Xbox and Switch before too long.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would like the controller for either of those systems to use in The Show... but if there's a better way to save your franchise games and return to them (meaning, your stats don't reset upon re-loading the game) then it may be worth a try on the Switch for me. Being able to just sit down anywhere and play some baseball would be pretty rad.

20 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I'm not sure I would like the controller for either of those systems to use in The Show... but if there's a better way to save your franchise games and return to them (meaning, your stats don't reset upon re-loading the game) then it may be worth a try on the Switch for me. Being able to just sit down anywhere and play some baseball would be pretty rad.

What do you mean your stats reset?

21 minutes ago, Meacon say “Feliz Navidad” said:

What do you mean your stats reset?

I haven't tried it for a couple of years, to be fair... but I used the feature a lot when it arrived, and if you would reload a game you had started, the stats for the game up to that point wouldn't show up. They would still count and be visible after the fact, but I typically rely on in-game stats to help make decisions on substitutions and the like, and I would reload a game in the seventh inning and not know who had done what up to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago, late in a tie game, my slow ass catcher gets on base, I sub him for a pinch runner.  Next inning starts with the pinch runner behind the plate.  I sub him out for a new catcher and the second I click yes to sub him in, the game crashes.  Infuriating since it was a playoff game but I figured it was just a random crash.

I got through the playoffs, did the offseason, starting a new season.  Same exact scenario cropped up but with different players.  And once again, putting in the backup catcher crashed the game.

So that’s twice now I wasted nearly an hour on a damn game just to not be able to finish.