MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

22 hours ago, Maxx said:

Face scanned Tim Tebow?

I would love to play RTTS as Tim :D 

Also unrelated but does everyone get traded a lot in RTTS or am I just a bad locker room influence? I was drafted by the Orioles, killed it in AA and got called up halfway through the season which I assume is normal, then I won ROTY but the Orioles traded me to the Blue Jays in the offseason I figured fine whatever the Orioles suck so they probably got some good stuff for their best player, but then like 40 games into the season where I am leading the league in hitting and 3rd in the MVP race the Blue Jays traded me to the Mets! 😕

12 minutes ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

I would love to play RTTS as Tim :D 

Also unrelated but does everyone get traded a lot in RTTS or am I just a bad locker room influence? I was drafted by the Orioles, killed it in AA and got called up halfway through the season which I assume is normal, then I won ROTY but the Orioles traded me to the Blue Jays in the offseason I figured fine whatever the Orioles suck so they probably got some good stuff for their best player, but then like 40 games into the season where I am leading the league in hitting and 3rd in the MVP race the Blue Jays traded me to the Mets! 😕

I'm still playing last year's game, but I was traded three times in the first three years of my RTTS career. I started with the Angels, who traded me to the Texans before I'd been called up from the minor leagues. I probably played for the Texans for less than half a season before they traded me to the Red Sox. I kept asking my agent to sort out a trade, and I was eventually moved to the Cubs, where I'm happy to stay.

It was very surprising because I'd never been traded in the two previous games I'd played in the series (14 and 16).

Apparently Ridin who does a lot of roster work every year already has a big update dropping this weekend.  All of the players who weren't face scanned in the game are still fully editable as CAPs, so he's got face scans for a bunch of players especially a bunch who look nothing at all like the player except in name, height, weight, and skin color.  A bunch more real prospects added to get rid of the fake players and flesh out the organization more fully.  And player options fixed for those players.

The drawback is that the players who were face scanned are not editable just like the normal roster.  So they are going to be stuck at one option year.  That said, the players scanned (other than Tebow) are primarily top prospects who are viewed as being close to the big leagues.  The type of prospects who, once they're called up, aren't likely to ever be sent down unless they completely bust.

Are there any major gameplay changes to RTTS? I like the game and especially RTTS but player updates/real minor league players aren't such a big deal for me because I don't know any baseball players anyway. But if they've increased the depth of the game mode that could be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

As usual I start with Dynamic Difficulty so I can rattle off a few easy wins before the game settles me into my appropriate settings.

Took a week for me to get to my pitching to a level where every other ball I throw is a mistake pitch over the heart of the plate, and the CPU pitching to realize I can only hit fastballs.

Had a fun first season with the real life Blue Jays roster. Pearson had a couple of good starts before getting rocked a bit, so he went back down to Triple-A. Signed Puig to play right and he was great. Traded him for Nimmo at the deadline. Traded Giles for Jose Leclerc and another prospect. Bichette struggled in his second year. Locked up Vlad to a long term deal. The rotation was very average, with Tanner Roark being the only guy who had an above-average year. Ryu was injured for a bit, Shoemaker and Chase Anderson had ERAs around 4.20. The bullpen, mostly made up of 70 overall guys, did much better than expected. 

Ended up going 84-78 and missed the 2nd wildcard by a few games. Overall, better than expected for year 1.

I've been sticking with MLB 19 for now, but will probably give in and get the new game this weekend. I'm burning out a bit with my White Sox franchise (who are the best team in baseball for the third season in a row) so I want to start something new.

I think my short list for my next franchise is...

Atlanta (they are always on my short list), Baltimore, Detroit, San Diego, or Toronto

37 minutes ago, Toe said:

I've been sticking with MLB 19 for now, but will probably give in and get the new game this weekend. I'm burning out a bit with my White Sox franchise (who are the best team in baseball for the third season in a row) so I want to start something new.

I think my short list for my next franchise is...

Atlanta (they are always on my short list), Baltimore, Detroit, San Diego, or Toronto

I'm sticking with 19 because I'm cheap and there weren't enough changes to franchise to warrant me spending the money on the game right now. I am into year 7 now of my Pirates franchise. It's been a lot of fun trying to keep payroll down while drafting and developing most of my own stars. I've had to adapt a bit, playing as a team with such a low payroll... so as much as I hate how gamey the contract system is in baseball, I'm consistently trying to sign my arbitration eligible and renewable players to longer term, team-friendly deals. It doesn't always work out, but then arbitration or the renewable period rolls around and the guys that I couldn't get a few years out of end up getting re-signed dirt cheap.

It's made for some tough decisions though too. Like, when I'm doing that, I will frequently finish up spring training and see a good chunk of my minor league guys making a million or more per year. Of course, that gets off-set usually by the fact that my MLB roster is being kept relatively low on the payroll front, but when I run into financial troubles, it can sometimes be tough to decide between trading a guy with huge potential, making a million or more in the minors... or trading away someone from my MLB team and either replacing them with a cheaper option, or trying to promote someone.

When I do pick up 20, I'm torn between going back to a Jays franchise, or just creating 30 teams myself with the rebranding feature and holding a fantasy draft. I just wish that I could find a list of the ballparks included in 20 so that I can do the pre-planning for that. I don't want teams playing in ballparks that don't make sense for them, so I want to spend some time picking my locations and team names. You also can't change divisions, so I'll have to figure out which teams go to which divisions too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I'm sticking with 19 because I'm cheap and there weren't enough changes to franchise to warrant me spending the money on the game right now. I am into year 7 now of my Pirates franchise. It's been a lot of fun trying to keep payroll down while drafting and developing most of my own stars. I've had to adapt a bit, playing as a team with such a low payroll... so as much as I hate how gamey the contract system is in baseball, I'm consistently trying to sign my arbitration eligible and renewable players to longer term, team-friendly deals. It doesn't always work out, but then arbitration or the renewable period rolls around and the guys that I couldn't get a few years out of end up getting re-signed dirt cheap.

It's made for some tough decisions though too. Like, when I'm doing that, I will frequently finish up spring training and see a good chunk of my minor league guys making a million or more per year. Of course, that gets off-set usually by the fact that my MLB roster is being kept relatively low on the payroll front, but when I run into financial troubles, it can sometimes be tough to decide between trading a guy with huge potential, making a million or more in the minors... or trading away someone from my MLB team and either replacing them with a cheaper option, or trying to promote someone.

When I do pick up 20, I'm torn between going back to a Jays franchise, or just creating 30 teams myself with the rebranding feature and holding a fantasy draft. I just wish that I could find a list of the ballparks included in 20 so that I can do the pre-planning for that. I don't want teams playing in ballparks that don't make sense for them, so I want to spend some time picking my locations and team names. You also can't change divisions, so I'll have to figure out which teams go to which divisions too.

I won the World Series in the last season, and this season is where a lot of the hard choices had to be made. 

My team that won the Series (2021) was incredibly deep with back-ups that would be starting on other teams like Travis Jankowski, Yadier Molina, Eric Thames, and Leury Garcia. I couldn't afford to keep any of them. I also had to let Carlos Rodon walk in free agency, although my big prospects like Michael Kopech and Dylan Cease have made some big strides. I also had to trade away Dee Gordon (who started at second and batted lead off all year) and Wellington Castillo (who had a fair contract but was coming off a poor season).

Since I'm playing as the White Sox, my budget is more forgiving then yours. All this cutting allowed me to sign the best position player available in free agency - Kris Bryant. I lost some depth on both sides of the ball, but my starting line-up is still very strong. 

• Like 1

Just starting opening day with the Padres, and the first thing that happens in the announce team throws to Heidi on the field. She then goes on to talk about how the players and fans were excited for the team's new uniforms.

Man this game can piss me off so much but the moments of joy are what keep me coming back.  I pitched an unexpected gem with Porcello in Washington, giving up a HR to the second batter of the game (Victor Robles) but otherwise shutting them down.  Problem was Anibal Sanchez was carving me up.

Then with two outs in the sixth, JD Davis walks, Cano singles, and Wilson Ramos hits a 3-run bomb and I jumped out of my seat.

• Like 1

I changed my mind and went with the Athletics.

I'm working from home, so I've taken to starting a game in my franchise and just letting the CPU run both teams while I work. Just having the sounds of baseball in the background is kind of soothing right now.

Been playing some RTTS. Not much different than previous years but I like what they added to the relationship feature. The better your relationship with your teammates, you both get some sort of bonus (fielding bonus, you lose confidence slower, etc.). I was a SP who got drafted by the Marlins. After a year in AA/AAA, got traded to Cleveland and then immediately to Houston. I think the fact that teams can't have 40 people up in September will slow how quickly I get called up, which is sort of nice. Could get called up in Year 2 but we'll see. I'm currently the 5th starter on the Astros AAA team.

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

I changed my mind and went with the Athletics.

I'm working from home, so I've taken to starting a game in my franchise and just letting the CPU run both teams while I work. Just having the sounds of baseball in the background is kind of soothing right now.

Teams like the Athletics are fun to play as in franchise, if only because you're so limited in what you can do financially. Drafting and trading for prospects to develop, or controllable MLBers, becomes a major key... as well as service time manipulation and taking advantage of both the renewable years and the arbitration years of your stars.

I can't imagine playing a game with a high budget team... though, now that I've said that and realized I've never played as a Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers type team, I'm wondering how ridiculous and possibly fun it would be to be able to just throw money around all willy-nilly.

• Like 1

My only real change to the team to start was trading Daniel Mengden (I just don't like his pitching motion) and a prospect for German Marquez from the Rockies. He's starting the game I have on right now, and he's struggling against the loaded Astros line-up.

Just now, Toe said:

My only real change to the team to start was trading Daniel Mengden (I just don't like his pitching motion) and a prospect for German Marquez from the Rockies. He's starting the game I have on right now, and he's struggling against the loaded Astros line-up.

Turn up the volume for an inning. Do you hear trash cans?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Been playing some RTTS. Not much different than previous years but I like what they added to the relationship feature. The better your relationship with your teammates, you both get some sort of bonus (fielding bonus, you lose confidence slower, etc.). I was a SP who got drafted by the Marlins. After a year in AA/AAA, got traded to Cleveland and then immediately to Houston. I think the fact that teams can't have 40 people up in September will slow how quickly I get called up, which is sort of nice. Could get called up in Year 2 but we'll see. I'm currently the 5th starter on the Astros AAA team.

Have they made you switch positions yet? I want to get this and do an SP RTTS but I don't want to invest a bunch of time only to get switched to a closer permanently like the last time I tried to play.