Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

I don't see why I should be upset that a lot of money that isn't mine was spent on a guy, really. It strikes me as too much, but as long as it's not significantly hindering, say, stadium progress then whatever. And I'm not sure how credible it is, but someone said that Newcastle owed Spurs 17m for Townsend and Yedlin so if that's the case then it basically becomes 13m + two players for Sissoko.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I don't see why I should be upset that a lot of money that isn't mine was spent on a guy, really. It strikes me as too much, but as long as it's not significantly hindering, say, stadium progress then whatever. And I'm not sure how credible it is, but someone said that Newcastle owed Spurs 17m for Townsend and Yedlin so if that's the case then it basically becomes 13m + two players for Sissoko.

It's the opportunity cost as well. That £30mil and likely circa £5mil a year salary could have been spent elsewhere and better.

That's also a nonsense justification with Townsend and Yedlin, they're 3 entirely separate transactions. Sissoko still cost £30mil and that's a grossly inflated price. It's that logic that old man Kenny Daglish babbling about Andy Carroll costing -£15mil the last time we caught a team with their pants down on deadline day.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I imagine the deal is spread over a number of installments. Which does soften the blow a little bit. 

Must suck to be Nathan Baxter. What will he learn playing for Metropolitan Police as opposed to staying at Chelsea's youth team!

Discipline.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

It's going to be okay. Poch has polished some rough gems. Sissoko will come good.

I give it three months before he's settled in as Tottenham's new Ryan Mason and is doing interviews in L'Equipe about how his heart has always belonged to PSG/Barcelona/Bayern Munich/The Hurricanes/Harchester United.

• Like 3

I think Sissoko will be fine. Spurs have had their eye on him for a while. Although I think we paid over the odds, I trust what Poch has been doing. Since he came in we've been making a string of "Moneyball" signings - young players will the most completed runs, successful passes, tackles, with pace and an ability to play pressing football. I think it serves us better than blowing £50mil on a marquee name, as exciting as that would be.

• Like 1

Did Spurs even need to sign Sissoko? That's what I'm trying to get my head around. It's not like there's a shortage of depth in midfield. 

21 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

Did Spurs even need to sign Sissoko? That's what I'm trying to get my head around. It's not like there's a shortage of depth in midfield. 

It's upgrading our back-up midfield I think ahead of Champions League. That's why I don't mind him coming, I just think it's too much money.

Anyway. With regards to midfielders who got game time, we've sold Alex Pritchard, Nacer Chadli and Ryan Mason as well as loaning out Clinton N'Jie and Nabil Bentaleb.

Pritchard would have struggled to get game time anyway, so that's no loss, but otherwise you've got four guys who WOULD get cup games, rotation games, would have played Europa.

With those gone you have Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Dier, Dembele, Wanyama, Son which is lovely lovely. Seven guys to fill what will often be a five man midfield. You've then got guys like Carroll, Winks and Onomah who are fine for League and FA Cup games and 70 minute Premier League substitutions, but shouldn't be played in the Champions League or the big league games.

So all you need is two of the seven main midfielders injured at once and the bench, if not the first team is weakened. N'Koudou looks like a great prospect but I think we were right to get one more experienced midfielder in just to play the numbers game. In the Europa League we would qualify from the group stages with our second team out. In the Champions League that won't happen.

Lamela, Eriksen, Dier, Dembele, Wanyama, Son, N'Koudou, Sissoko will cover all that. We've sold or loaned out 5 and brought in 3.

Also: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-transfer-news-why-mauricio-pochettino-has-decided-to-spend-30million-on-moussa-sissoko-a7219236.html

And in response to all the "har har Sissoko is an Arsenal fan...." posts on Twitter, one commenter makes a good point, when replying to how Tottenham fans will take to him.

"Same way Arsenal took to Bergamp even though he is a self confessed Spurs fan that time. Not comparing players, of course. Sissoko is a pro footballer, scored against Arsenal last year too." Same way Arsenal took to Bergamp even though he is a self confessed Spurs fan that time. Not comparing players, ofcourse. Sisoko is a pro footballer, scored agaist Arsenal last year too Same way Arsenal took to Bergamp even though he is a self confessed Spurs fan that time. Not comparing players, ofcourse. Sisoko is a pro footballer, scored agaist Arsenal last year too

• Like 1