Sky Bet EFL 2016/17

Lineker

On 17/09/2016 at 15:51, Mad Jack said:

Missed the game cos I was working, but seeing that Argyle beat Exeter 2-0 is great. Top of the league and playing well.

Fuck Reuben Reid though.

Got to say I am liking the look of the top of the division right now. We didn't even play that well yesterday and managed a 2-0 win. Seven unbeaten at home, almost unheard of since we moved to the 'Moat, and going along nicely despite a load of injuries.

Also, why all the hate for Reuben Reid? I assume it stretches further than "has signed for our rivals"? Did he turn down a new deal in the summer or something?

26 minutes ago, Adam said:

Got to say I am liking the look of the top of the division right now. We didn't even play that well yesterday and managed a 2-0 win. Seven unbeaten at home, almost unheard of since we moved to the 'Moat, and going along nicely despite a load of injuries.

Also, why all the hate for Reuben Reid? I assume it stretches further than "has signed for our rivals"? Did he turn down a new deal in the summer or something?

He turned down a new deal because he thought he'd get picked up by Oxford (who signed Curtis Nelson from us) or another promoted side, then when they turn him down he signed for City. It's just a bit much when he's from the academy and this was his second chance with us after all his injuries etc.

9 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

He turned down a new deal because he thought he'd get picked up by Oxford (who signed Curtis Nelson from us) or another promoted side, then when they turn him down he signed for City. It's just a bit much when he's from the academy and this was his second chance with us after all his injuries etc.

Yep I can see why that'd piss you off, seems a shame considering how well he did the first couple of seasons for you. I mean, he resurrected his career at Argyle so to treat the club like that is pretty low.

• Like 1

• Admin

The 72 Football League clubs have definitively ruled out the prospect of Premier League B teams playing them in league football or Rangers and Celtic joining them as part of a planned revamp.

Shaun Harvey, the EFL chief executive, said last month the introduction of B teams had not been discounted as a possibility as part of ongoing discussions about its “Whole Game Solution” revamp that includes proposals to increase the number of teams to 80, while also pointing out that more than 90% of clubs would have to agree.

After a meeting of all 72 clubs on Thursday, however, the EFL ruled out the inclusion of Premier League B teams, clubs from non-English leagues or those outside the English football pyramid from the plans. Effectively, it means if the plan to restructure the league as four divisions of 20 teams goes ahead, the eight extra clubs will be drawn from the National League.

The decision kills off the idea floated in May 2014 by Greg Dyke, the FA chairman at the time, when his England Commission decided the controversial introduction of B teams would be a way of increasing the production line of English talent. The plan found favour among several Premier League clubs, notably Manchester City, but proved unpopular with many fans of EFL sides.

Some supporters were also concerned that the convoluted revamp of the Checkatrade Trophy (formerly the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy), that allowed Premier League clubs to enter academy sides, could act as a precursor to the plan being revived.

However, the Premier League executive chairman insisted before the beginning of this season that the proposals did not represent “the thin end of the wedge”. Richard Scudamore said: “Yes, of course we know some of our clubs would like B teams. We look abroad and we see the benefit of B teams.

“It’s just for the English football structure and pyramid, it doesn’t work, and so this is it. We can console all these worried Football League clubs’ supporters. This isn’t the thin end of the wedge, this is the block. It’s the beginning of the end of it.”

The Whole Game proposals, unveiled by Harvey in May, were part of an attempt by the EFL to be seen as leading the debate on reducing fixture congestion. Together with the FA and the Premier League, part of the aim is to revamp the crowded fixture calendar so that a winter break becomes feasible. It has already led to the FA dropping FA Cup replays from the quarter-finals and could also lead to further changes.

At the meeting on Thursday, League One and League Two clubs also declared their desire to play through any mooted winter break. For clubs in the bottom three divisions of the new proposed EFL structure, a winter break could be beneficial to attendances if they carried on playing while the Premier League and the Championship were paused.

“At the very outset of this process it was made clear that any decisions in respect of the future direction of the Whole Game Solution would be taken by clubs themselves and our announcement today comes as a result of their valued input,” said Harvey.

“The logical place for many was to source the additional teams for League Three from the National League but we felt it important that the debate was introduced at an early stage and an opportunity was provided for all club owners and executives to voice any opinions and, where applicable, table concerns,” he said.

Before final proposals are put to a vote of the 72 clubs at the end of the season, Harvey promised the EFL would consult with the National League, supporters’ groups and others in the game over the proposed changes. “In addition, our dialogue will continue with the Premier League as we focus on ensuring we achieve our specific and primary objective of improving distributable revenue to our clubs and reaching a format that benefits the EFL, its competitions and the wider professional game,” he said.

The mechanism for arriving at the new structure via promotion and relegation in the 2018-19 season is still to be decided. At its most extreme, it could mean seven teams being relegated from the Championship that season and three coming up from League One. More likely is some form of compromise whereby fewer teams are relegated.

• Like 1

One massive nightmare avoided then, now just to push on with getting the "League 3" and/or regionalisation scrapped.

I actually would not mind a winter break if implemented at the right time, but it doesn't look like the teams below the Championship want to take part in it anyway.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Adam said:

One massive nightmare avoided then, now just to push on with getting the "League 3" and/or regionalisation scrapped.

I actually would not mind a winter break if implemented at the right time, but it doesn't look like the teams below the Championship want to take part in it anyway.

I can understand that - the constant cash flow is quite often their lifeblood.

35 minutes ago, Adam said:

Like summer, maybe?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I can understand that - the constant cash flow is quite often their lifeblood.

Aye it is and it's been pointed out that playing through the break while all the big boys are off in Qatar/Australia/America could actually lead to increased attendances from temporarily picking up those teams' fans.

10 minutes ago, MDK said:

Like summer, maybe?

You know I actually wish football was played more in the summer. Get rid of these boring international tournaments and give me a league game against Carlisle in the middle of July. That'd be great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

You know I actually wish football was played more in the summer. Get rid of these boring international tournaments and give me a league game against Carlisle in the middle of July. That'd be great.

Bugger that, my birthday is in the summer and I don't want my birthday spoiled by Orient getting beaten by Arsehole-on-Tweed FC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MDK said:

Bugger that, my birthday is in the summer and I don't want my birthday spoiled by Orient getting beaten by Arsehole-on-Tweed FC.

What if you win though? Imagine beating Arsehole-on-Tweed 5-0 on your birthday! I was alright when we were in the Championship because my birthday always falls on the September international break, but now I have to put up with fixtures against Crewe and Morecambe instead!

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

What if you win though? Imagine beating Arsehole-on-Tweed 5-0 on your birthday! I was alright when we were in the Championship because my birthday always falls on the September international break, but now I have to put up with fixtures against Crewe and Morecambe instead!

Oh, you and your sense of humour. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

'Tweed are having a good year though, tbf.

Quick McShiftyFeet is having a cracker of a season up front. Not much time before Arseholebackwardstan calls him up for the national team.

• Like 1