TV Shows that deserved more

JasonM

A direct counterpart to the 'TV Shows that overstayed their welcome' thread. This thread is about those TV Shows that people liked, loved, or even obsessed about in every way until the network decided that it wasn't filling their wallets fast enough, and were shitcanned before they got their moment in the sun.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, Firefly need not mentioning.

I'll start with Galavant, a series that somehow got a second season and not even the producers knew how they got away with that. But regardless of surviving for a second season, it truly deserved more than that. It was witty, it was fun, it was different, and it gave us amazing and memorable performances from the likes of Timothy Omundson and Vinnie Jones (yes, THAT Vinnie Jones). A very strong comedy completely based around musical-esque set-pieces with a humor that was somewhere in between Men in Tights and Monty Python.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Hannibal. First half of Season 3 was terrible but the 2nd half was awesome and it's a shame that no one wanted to pick it up after ABC dropped it.

And Crossing Jordan. Not in the sense that it needed more seasons. But in the sense that the show never got a proper finale. It simply ended one day.

• Like 2

Freaks and Geeks. I mean, for all I know maybe one perfect season was the best way to leave it, but I can't help wondering what season two would have looked like.

• Like 7

Heroes based purely on season one because arguably that season was perfect. The problem was they changed every single thing that made it good and shat all over the noble sacrifices at the end of the year and ruined any good work they did. If they had followed on logically from how season one ended they could have had a great show on their hands for years.

Also Angel. It didn't make sense when they cancelled it at the end of season five as it was pulling in good ratings and had another two or so seasons easily in it. 

Heroes would have been better if Sylar had been dealt with for good - either killed off or turned hero permanently - by the end of season two. I gave up on it after season three.

But I agree about Angel, even though I never watched it until it was in re-runs after the series ended. 

Jericho was a phenomenal show, got cancelled, the fans managed to get it brought back for 6 episodes, then they cancelled it again. Then the fans managed to get it made into a comic book for 2 more seasons, and there is still occasional talk of a movie to finish the story.

• Like 3

The Dana Carvey Show. Hardly anyone realized it at the time, but it had a STELLAR cast and writers, including Stephen Colbert, Steve Carrell, Dino Stamatopoulos, Louis CK, and more. It was mostly a victim of timeslot (they were on early in the evening line-up, but their material was pretty mature.)

Edited by fhqwhjosh
  • Like 5

Constantine is a pretty good shout, I think. It was really think it deserved more. 

The Black Donnellys was pretty damn amazing and if I remember correctly had a fucking banger of a season finale, but we never got to see it resolved.

Agent Carter was fun as fuck and should have continued forever, it improved from an amazing first season to an even better second one, somehow.

I know this would probably divide a lot of people, because some hated the last season, but goddamnit, Community should have just gotten that movie :( 

• Like 4

Defiance - Absolute cracking sci-fi show. Back half of the final season went a bit off the rails, but I put some of that down to them kind of knowing they were done and trying to get things into a place where they could wrap things up if necessary. Datak and Stahma Tarr (Tony Curran and Jaime Murray respectively) are one of the best sci-fi power couples ever committed to screen.

10 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

There are so many. Like so, so many. But I will name my top two:

Terriers, because it was amazing, and Firefly, because it had the potential to be this long-lasting, phenomenal and epic TV show.

I disagree with Firefly. I think just having the one season and the film was perfect. American shows always end up doing way too many series. This way the magic is still there without anyone to ruin it.

I quite liked The Unusuals and was annoyed by it being cancelled.

One that will likely not be mentioned - FlashForward. I know a lot of people didn't like it because they basically saw it as an attempt at "the new LOST" and it didn't live up to the intrigue of LOST, but I was really into it, and it felt like the first series was just setting the ground work for something much bigger. Plus it had some of my absolute favorites actors.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Benji said:

One that will likely not be mentioned - FlashForward. I know a lot of people didn't like it because they basically saw it as an attempt at "the new LOST" and it didn't live up to the intrigue of LOST, but I was really into it, and it felt like the first series was just setting the ground work for something much bigger. Plus it had some of my absolute favorites actors.

I was gutted about FlashForward, I thought that had potential. Still, at least it was based on a book and I might get around to reading it.

• Like 1