Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

49 minutes ago, Paul Scholes! said:

Are Sunderland planning on playing rush goalie next season? Do they even have anyone?

Haven't they got that giant Swede who played for City? Can't for the life of me remember his name. 

• Admin

Liverpool midfielder Kevin Stewart has flown home from the club's pre-season trip to Hong Kong to complete a move to Hull.

The 23-year-old left the squad, who are in the Far East to play in the Premier League Asia Trophy, to finalise a reported £8m move to the KCOM Stadium.

It is understood the move is not tied in with a deal for left-back Andrew Robertson, who Liverpool will pursue that separately.

Stewart, who signed a new four-year contract in February last year, played only nine times last season, including just four league appearances.

RB Leipzig have revealed they have rejected a €75m (£66m) bid from an unnamed club for Liverpool target Naby Keita.

The Guinea international midfielder has been sought by Reds boss Jurgen Klopp this summer but Leipzig have maintained a strong stance over the 22-year-old, insisting he is not for sale.
"We do not sell players who are still under contract just to make a lot of money," Leipzig owner Dietrich Mateschitz told SportBild.

"Recently we got a €75m offer for Naby Keita. No way! He still has a contract and he will fulfil it.

"To sell him would not only be a proof of distrust for our fans, but also a wrong sign for our other players, such as Timo Werner, who is also in demand."

Sky Sports News reported this week that Liverpool were expected to make a third bid for the midfielder. 

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

KEITA STUFF

This would otherwise be disheartening, but too much of the saga makes no sense. The reports of an internal power struggle within Leipzig between those who want to sell and those who don't, the fact that we're still pursuing him is particularly weird because if their stance was that hardline I doubt we'd bother wasting our time, and that Keita's agent has since flew to Hong Kong to discuss the next move with us. I don't think this one is over just yet.

3 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Mateschitz is a stubborn fucker, mind you. We know this from years of F1 team ownership!

He's the one that's allegedly clashing with Rangnick over wanting to sell, I think! Which leads me to believe it's posturing to try and get the fee up to even more absurd levels. Either way, their public statements are often conflicting. I believe he's said there's a "magic number" they'd sell for, which was supposedly be 75m. Who the hell knows. Roll on August 12th.

2 hours ago, Titi Camara said:

Haven't they got that giant Swede who played for City? Can't for the life of me remember his name. 

Costel Pantilimon? He's Romanian but I guess you mean him. 

Even in today's market, the fee for Keita is absurd. How is he worth Liverpool blowing that much money after one half decent season in the Bundesliga? 

5 minutes ago, Rooney! said:

Costel Pantilimon? He's Romanian but I guess you mean him. 

Even in today's market, the fee for Keita is absurd. How is he worth Liverpool blowing that much money after one half decent season in the Bundesliga? 

Half decent does him a tremendous disservice. 

Pantilimon did leave City for Sunderland before he went to Watford though didn't he? Unless that was some bizarre dream I had. 

As for Keita, unless he was the sole driving force behind Leipzig's rise, which I don't think he is, I'm just not seeing why he's a £50mil player, let alone 60 or 70. 8 goals and 8 assists in the league? Josh King and Wilf Zaha contributed to as many goals last season yet no one is offering £70mil for them. 

22 minutes ago, Rooney! said:

Pantilimon did leave City for Sunderland before he went to Watford though didn't he? Unless that was some bizarre dream I had. 

As for Keita, unless he was the sole driving force behind Leipzig's rise, which I don't think he is, I'm just not seeing why he's a £50mil player, let alone 60 or 70. 8 goals and 8 assists in the league? Josh King and Wilf Zaha contributed to as many goals last season yet no one is offering £70mil for them. 

I mean firstly, King and Zaha both play in significantly more advanced positions so that isn't a fair comparison in the slightest.

For a CM, those are good numbers, and when you consider that his offensive and defensive outputs are probably pretty similar, you have a seriously well rounded player who can dictate a game. 

I wish football copied the ice hockey idea of recording second assists. Because I think that would reflect the work that playmakers do far better imo.

In a window in which the likes of Everton are spending stupid money, I don't understand why this one is the tipping point. If Michael Keane is a £25m player, Keita is at least double that. 

18 minutes ago, Titi Camara said:

My Pantilimon knowledge is clearly lacking it seems. 

What you've just seen is an example of why my friends taunt me with such questions as "what are his travel fees?" due ot my unnecessarily deep knowledge of an obscure player's history.

Just now, Cymbols said:

I mean firstly, King and Zaha both play in significantly more advanced positions so that isn't a fair comparison in the slightest.

For a CM, those are good numbers, and when you consider that his offensive and defensive outputs are probably pretty similar, you have a seriously well rounded player who can dictate a game. 

I wish football copied the ice hockey idea of recording second assists. Because I think that would reflect the work that playmakers do far better imo.

In a window in which the likes of Everton are spending stupid money, I don't understand why this one is the tipping point. If Michael Keane is a £25m player, Keita is at least double that. 

See I was under the impression he was a wide midfielder so in that case, I retract much of what I've said. Even so, it seems steep especially when (if what I've just read on BBC is true) he can be bought for £48mil next summer due to a contractual clause. Now obviously you don't want to wait and miss out, but is Keita the very best option available at this position, considering he's apparently going to cost as much, if not more, than the other best options? Also, for me at least this isn't the tipping point at all, we went over the cliff edge a good while ago now, but if in this new inflated market where players going for these kind of prices is becoming increasingly more common, I still think you have to be getting the best of the best for £60-70mil, and Keita doesn't appear to have quite established himself as that yet.