UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Lineker

57 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I remember him going down injured for a time and the commentators mentioning it so it wasn't like a one second flash thing, there was definitely time for someone to have a quick look.

I don't think it can be put fully on a teams medical staff when there are referees who are meant to recognise potential head injuries. They're the ones who allow the medical team onto the field for treatment. 

It's something that all areas need improvement on. Players themselves, clubs and officials. Which is why I'm glad this has come out

• Like 1

I fully agree Dave, was more responding to a few people saying "he didn't go down so it wouldn't have been picked up" because I distinctly remember it happening, him going down and it being long enough for commentators to comment on.

It's down to the medical staff, the officials and to some degree the player himself but again, you're not thinking straight when you have a concussion. With anything that impairs the mental faculties the medical staff on hand have that duty of care to their personnel. Look at what happened to the marathon runner Callum Hawkins the other month, he got so dehydrated whilst leading that he kept going for ages before anyone intervened. He was falling over, even banging his head on a metal barrier. Very dangerous but he didn't have a clear mind, and he was leading the marathon so of course wanted to continue.

4 hours ago, DMo Salah said:

I don't think it can be put fully on a teams medical staff when there are referees who are meant to recognise potential head injuries. They're the ones who allow the medical team onto the field for treatment. 

It's something that all areas need improvement on. Players themselves, clubs and officials. Which is why I'm glad this has come out

I'm really tired. I thought that said 'member unicorns' for a second.