UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Lineker

I think this is more a case of Ramos being the guy Salah was battling with before the injury than anything - I don't think it would have been seen as deliberate if he'd gone down in those circumstances next to say Kroos or Casemiro.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I think this is more a case of Ramos being the guy Salah was battling with before the injury than anything - I don't think it would have been seen as deliberate if he'd gone down in those circumstances next to say Kroos or Casemiro.

I would argue that it is purely because he was battling with Ramos that he ended up getting injured, as he's a bastard on the pitch.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I read that Karius made a few screw ups so I checked them out. Can someone explain how this isn't interference? I'm not sure on the exact rule for Chsmpions League, but any league I ever played in, interfering with the goalie throw like that would result in a stop play.

Yeah Karius had complete "control" of the ball when he throws it out and there's no contact between the two. So once he throws the ball the game is live when the legs stuck out and it goes in. Was amazing to see the FIFA International Soccer special work in the real world for once :shifty: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, EndOfAnEra said:

I didn't get to watch the game, but I read that Karius made a few screw ups so I checked them out. Can someone explain how this isn't interference? I'm not sure on the exact rule for Chsmpions League, but any league I ever played in, interfering with the goalie throw like that would result in a stop play.

FIFA's laws of the game, rule 12.2 defines the following:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

...prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or
attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it..

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

So by definition as Karius wasn't holding it, wasn't throwing it in to the air preceding a kick Benzema did nothing wrong.

Fair fucks to the ref for not calling a foul. Such a weird occurrence the instinct must have been to assume the contact was interfering.

I remember Henry got booked years ago for nipping the ball away as the keeper dropped it from his hands in the process of kicking. Foreshadowing of the cheating bastard if anything 😑

In that case Liverpool only have themselves to blame. Irresponsible from the club, to not even check on him when he went down holding his head, and to make the decision to keep him out there without at least taking a look at him. 

The player isn’t going to make the call himself, the team should be looking out for his well-being first and foremost. His well-being has to be more important than a game, for me. 

Also, makes Van Dijk’s recklessness pushing Ramos into the keeper even worse really. 

4 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

In that case Liverpool only have themselves to blame. Irresponsible from the club, to not even check on him when he went down holding his head, and to make the decision to keep him out there without at least taking a look at him. 

The player isn’t going to make the call himself, the team should be looking out for his well-being first and foremost. His well-being has to be more important than a game, for me. 

Also, makes Van Dijk’s recklessness pushing Ramos into the keeper even worse really. 

If the player doesn't tell the medical staff then how can they do a proper check? If you are concussed you aren't thinking straight, so if he thought he was kosher then why would he say? No player wants to get subbed off in the most important game of their career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDK said:

If the player doesn't tell the medical staff then how can they do a proper check? If you are concussed you aren't thinking straight, so if he thought he was kosher then why would he say? No player wants to get subbed off in the most important game of their career.

Medical staff see he goes down with a head injury. Doesn’t matter that he gets up, they should have a duty of care to protect him from himself.

As you say, no player wants to get subbed off in a game like that, which is why we need medical staff to take that decision out of the player’s hands.

Rugby has concussion protocols, but until football catches up, it is up to the teams to fulfill that duty of care. Liverpool failed if they left a concussed player out there.

There are physical signs and on-field co-ordination checks you can do that would at least give the medical staff an idea of whether he was concussed or not and the severity.

• Like 1

Just now, Cymbols said:

Medical staff see he goes down with a head injury. Doesn’t matter that he gets up, they should have a duty of care to protect him from himself.

As you say, no player wants to get subbed off in a game like that, which is why we need medical staff to take that decision out of the player’s hands.

Rugby has concussion protocols, but until football catches up, it is up to the teams to fulfill that duty of care. Liverpool failed if they left a concussed player out there.

I'm just saying that because I can't remember if the medics even came onto the pitch to check on him. I'm certain that the ref didn't even blow the whistle but I can't remember off the top of my head.