Favorite Youtube Channels

Lint

3 hours ago, Lint said:

Related:

Ive still an hour and 10 mins of the hbomb video left and then i wake up to this

Id never heard of Jake Summerton before this. I had seen Internet Historian videos pop up on YouTube but the name plus the avatar put me off watching them.

I watched one Illuminaughty video and I cannot remember what it was.  I do remember the style and delivery just didn't click with me. It just kinda felt a bit flat.

• Like 1

I never really used to be into YouTubers, or be someone that idly scrolled through YouTube for stuff, I only used it if there was something I was specifically looking for. In the last year or so, though, I've started putting stuff on during my lunch break when walking from home, and these are the non-wrestling related people I have been following most:

Stuart Millard - a.k.a Frantic Planet, I've followed his blog for years, but only started watching his YouTube more recently. Very funny deep dives into forgotten bits of pop culture - '70s variety shows, lost media, bad sitcoms, awful '90s and early '00s "new lad" content and early reality TV. He did a series on Royal Variety Shows that are absolutely superb. At least one laugh-out-loud moment for me in every video.

NerdSync - someone I'd have probably almost immediately rejected a few years ago for being a bit too earnest, a bit try-hard, and a bit too much of a stereotypical "YouTuber", but I've cooled on a lot of that stuff now. I got into him through the podcast It's Probably Not Aliens, about Ancient Aliens, pseudohistory and conspiracy theories, but this is his main gig - videos about comic books, pop culture, and cartoons, especially Scooby Doo, with the more recent ones usually having a social justice focus as well. I like what he does because it tends not to focus obsessively on in-universe lore like most comic book nerds do, but on the actual history of characters, comics and creators, so there's interesting stuff about Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, art and publishing trends - there's a whole video on the disappearance of thought bubbles from comic books - and I find that far more interesting.

Step Up - The co-host of the aforementioned It's Probably Not Aliens podcast. Similarly, I can find him a bit too try-hard and earnest at times, but he does good work. The stated objective is to look at how understanding history helps you make sense of the world today, and so any focus on historical events will also link into a "why this is important now" discussion, which I think is the best way to approach history education. A lot of his focus is on the far-right and conspiracy theories, so that end he's just done a really good video on the JFK assassination and conspiracy theories, and a while back did a long critique of Graham Hancock's Netflix series. 

I haven't really followed any video essayists since the largely pre-YouTube days of the Spoony Experiment and That Guy With The Glasses, so it's been nice to see how far a lot of people have moved on from the worst of that era, and while there's a whole new set of YouTuber tropes that I don't have any time for, it's great that it's not just performative anger across the board any more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skummy said:

I haven't really followed any video essayists since the largely pre-YouTube days of the Spoony Experiment and That Guy With The Glasses, so it's been nice to see how far a lot of people have moved on from the worst of that era, and while there's a whole new set of YouTuber tropes that I don't have any time for, it's great that it's not just performative anger across the board any more.

I feel like the ones who have survived and flourished from those days were the ones with something to actually say when the faux anger was  no longer working.

Seeing the glimpses ive seen of the AVGN on other peoples videos (hbomberguy and lady emilys to be exact). That just seems kinda sad now. He feels like a relic.

Todd in the Shadows is probably the only "big" name from those times I still watch on YouTube who remains mostly unchanged but he was never an "angry reviewer".

Lindsay Ellis is still going too but she is 100% behind a paywall these days and she doesn't upload too often.

Although he wasn't a big TGWTG name Dan Olson came into his own YouTube. He seems to just do these long documentary projects now. But they're always good.

These days I mostly watch a few video essay types with my girlfriend on weekends. Along with the above mentioned we watch probably watch a Patrick Willems or a Maggie Mae Fish video every time one drops and dip in and out of a few others.

We planned on watching just an hour of the Hbomberguy video and ended up watching close to 3hrs of it.

Its rare we would sit and watch a multi hour video like that. I do think hbomb manages to keep the pace fairly well with how he structures them.

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

Ive still an hour and 10 mins of the hbomb video left and then i wake up to this

Id never heard of Jake Summerton before this. I had seen Internet Historian videos pop up on YouTube but the name plus the avatar put me off watching them.

I watched one Illuminaughty video and I cannot remember what it was.  I do remember the style and delivery just didn't click with me. It just kinda felt a bit flat.

I never heard of the guy until Todds video, but now I'm gonna check out Hbomb's video.  Day off of work and nothing better to do!

33 minutes ago, Lint said:

I never heard of the guy until Todds video, but now I'm gonna check out Hbomb's video.  Day off of work and nothing better to do!

It's worth the watch. It's long, but it felt like it flew by.

one thing I noticed about James Somerton was how he just wasn't interesting to listen to or watch in any of the clips I saw.

I dunno if I'm one to talk, I'm aware that I'm naturally a bit deadpan and low energy so whenever I'm performing I at least try to seem a bit more energetic than I am IRL.

I've got 1,500 subscribers and haven't made a video in a long time now, but it makes you feel things to see people ripping other people off and being successful. At most, I just feel vindicated for every footnote, citation, and bibliography I've ever done for a video even if I didn't always do. It wasn't a thing people really did when I first started doing the videos really.

7 hours ago, Hobo said:

Todd in the Shadows is probably the only "big" name from those times I still watch on YouTube who remains mostly unchanged but he was never an "angry reviewer".

He may not have been swearing like a sailor like the AVGN or doing annoying high-pitched screaming like Doug Walker, but there was still a log of "angry reviewer" energy in his early videos and you can tell that he was trying to appeal to the Channel Awesome crowd. He raised his voice a lot and was way more vicious about the music he didn't like and the artists who recorded it back then. He has come a long way since then.

James Somerton owns two very expensive cameras he doesn't need and doesnt know how to use.

All his talking head stuff looks like absolutely garbage.

On 03/12/2023 at 16:02, Kyle said:

I recently was recommended Let's Game It Out, and honestly, as someone who really enjoys seeing simulator games used as the tools for ridiculousness they are, it's a treat.

If you like this, feel free to check out Ambiguous Amphibian as well.

https://www.youtube.com/@ambiguousamphibian

He has a lot of videos that revolve around Rimworld, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Project Zomboid, etc. He does series as well, or just one off videos and they give me a ton of interesting ideas on how to play games like this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, apsham said:

If you like this, feel free to check out Ambiguous Amphibian as well.

https://www.youtube.com/@ambiguousamphibian

He has a lot of videos that revolve around Rimworld, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Project Zomboid, etc. He does series as well, or just one off videos and they give me a ton of interesting ideas on how to play games like this.

AA!  Don't remember how I found him but he became one of my favorite game streamers.  One of the only people I see a 6 hour stream and go "Yea I'll watch that whole thing"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Looks like James Somerton's YouTube channel is gone.

He's been slowly deleting things all week.

Think his Twitter and Patreon went down last week

14 minutes ago, Lint said:

He's been slowly deleting things all week.

Think his Twitter and Patreon went down last week

IIRC those went pretty soon after the video dropped

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not overly fussed about watching a 30 min re-upload but, from the brief summaries I've seen, it sounds like James Somerton put out a bit of a non apology video and re-activated his patreon, only for both to be quickly pulled.

Some people were saying he was after money as he was talking about putting his videos back up, as well as making new ones that were all his own writing but others are saying he was only putting the patreon up so people could unsub and any money from the videos were going to be sent to the people he plagiarized. 

I suppose he'll have his die hard fans who might somehow be unaware of this whole thing or think it's just a hit piece so maybe he could still shuffle along after everything's blown over?

51 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

I'm not overly fussed about watching a 30 min re-upload but, from the brief summaries I've seen, it sounds like James Somerton put out a bit of a non apology video and re-activated his patreon, only for both to be quickly pulled.

Some people were saying he was after money as he was talking about putting his videos back up, as well as making new ones that were all his own writing but others are saying he was only putting the patreon up so people could unsub and any money from the videos were going to be sent to the people he plagiarized. 

I suppose he'll have his die hard fans who might somehow be unaware of this whole thing or think it's just a hit piece so maybe he could still shuffle along after everything's blown over?

i've also had zero interest in looking at his video (the clips in the Hbomberguy and Todd in the Shadows videos we enough) and so the above is all I saw

We watched the Patrick H Willems Christmas Special on Nebula last night. It is a delight.

Also Lindsay Ellis has dropped a video about Yoko Ono and the Beatles also on Nebula.

12 minutes ago, Hobo said:

i've also had zero interest in looking at his video (the clips in the Hbomberguy and Todd in the Shadows videos we enough) and so the above is all I saw

We watched the Patrick H Willems Christmas Special on Nebula last night. It is a delight.

Also Lindsay Ellis has dropped a video about Yoko Ono and the Beatles also on Nebula.

I've been curious about Nebula. Is there enough content for a subscription? 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I've been curious about Nebula. Is there enough content for a subscription? 

You can get all the videos that a creator releases to YouTube on there in better quality than on YouTube. You'll get them early and in some cases they might be a little different than in the YouTube version.  (Longer and in some cases less edited for YouTube).

They seem to be growing their exclusive catalog. Of the creators I tend to watch: There are 7 or so Lindsay Ellis videos that are Nebula exclusive. Sarah Z had a class about debating, there's a few Polyphonic videos that are Nebula originals, and Big Joel does a load of little Nebula-only videos. Patrick H Willems has a few bonus videos, his movie, his holiday special and generally his regular videos have a longer Nebula cut.  There are a couple of extra Philosophy Tube videos (Abigal Thorn's play The Prince and a BTS making of her show documentary). I believe Thorn's movie will also be on Nebula when it comes out.

My girlfriend got this subscription for me so we could watch Patrick Willems' Night of The Coconut and Maggie Mae Fish's series about sex in film. I do have to remind myself to check it and use it sometimes, ngl, but I'm slowly starting to use it more.

You can get a life time subscription to Nebula at the moment for €300.