2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

Free agency in the past two seasons has been far less lucrative than we've been accustomed to seeing in recent years.  This was supposed to be the best free agent class of all time and there are still players signing for below market value.  Dallas Keuchel is still sitting there with almost no buzz about him.  Craig Kimbrel's asked for the world and priced himself out.  I do think Harper and Machado will still get their big paydays, but even at that, there have only been about four or five teams total who have been linked to them - and those are generational talents.

Landing a huge contract in free agency is no longer a sure thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I mean it was the Mets that offered him. One of the best rotations in baseball. Not like it was the Marlins or Orioles.

The Mets will be vieing with the Marlins for the NL East basement. The Brewers made the playoffs as NL Central champs last year, and could very well do so again.

Edited by GhostMachine

5 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Free agency in the past two seasons has been far less lucrative than we've been accustomed to seeing in recent years.  This was supposed to be the best free agent class of all time and there are still players signing for below market value.  Dallas Keuchel is still sitting there with almost no buzz about him.  Craig Kimbrel's asked for the world and priced himself out.  I do think Harper and Machado will still get their big paydays, but even at that, there have only been about four or five teams total who have been linked to them - and those are generational talents.

Landing a huge contract in free agency is no longer a sure thing.

It's part analytics and part collusion I feel. But there's no way to really find how much of either. No matter what, the next CBA negotiations are going to get very messy when this exact subject comes up.

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

Jed Lowrie signed a two year deal for $10 million a year with the Mets.

How many more second basemen are you guys going to sign, @Buschie Van Wagenen?

I imagine the plan is to put Lowrie at 3B and bat him second, where he'd actually suit the lineup quite nicely.  Frazier will probably move to 1B to open the year.  I know BVW was talking about Alonso being their Opening Day 1B, but I never bought that since he'll only need to stay in the minors for 11 games to get a year of service.  Now they have the cover to do so.

No idea what this means for McNeil's chances of playing every day.  Probably getting some work in LF.  A McNeil-Nimmo-Conforto OF with great defensive backups in Broxton and Lagares.  Or he could just be doing the Brock Holt super-sub thing.

In any event, with all the injuries the Mets had to resort to playing guys like Jose Reyes, Jose Bautista, Luis Guillorme, Dom Smith, Phil Evans, and Jack Reinheimer out in the infield last year.  I'd rather have too many than not enough.

• Like 1

Lowrie at 3B would be nice. He's not the free agent signing I would have expected, but I think he'll fit in well. I'd be super okay with McNeil playing everywhere. I think Broxton is a good pickup, because Lagares hasn't been able to stay healthy and I don't think he'd be reliable enough as injury. The Mets have been injury-plagued the past few years as it is. 

4 minutes ago, El TiBrandon Nimmo said:

So, are they out on Realmuto? Is Martin still good enough to be their starting catcher? I haven't seen him play in a while

I would say they are not out on Realmuto. Martin batted around .190 last year, though he gets on base and is still a good defender. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El TiBrandon Nimmo said:

That's kind of an odd signing. Would have expected that. 

I think they've accepted that Manny won't accept their "low-ball" offer.

LeMahieu is a Gold Glover at second base and is a decent hitter. I think with this and the Tulo signing, they're legit not budging on their Manny offer. If he signs, he signs, but if he doesn't, the Yanks are now prepared.

They've got Tulo who can cover short, assuming he's healthy, and Gleyber at second, or they can move Gleyber to short and have DJ play second. I love the signing, because I don't think Tyler Wade is ever going to be someone we can expect to have productive offense from and he was likely going to be the guy in the "where will he play today?!" role. 

• Like 1

Michael Taylor requested a salary of $3.5 million, the Nats were offering $3.25 million.  Obviously, being only $250k apart they were close enough to come to an agreement and avoid, arbitration, right?

Wrong.  The Nats told Taylor that they’ll see him in court, where he’ll now have to incur a ton of legal fees if he doesn’t take their offer.

These owners are disgusting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I should probably give up on us doing anything but small tweaks right? I was really into the idea of Future Chicago Cub Bryce Harper but I don't see it happening :( 

Welcome to the Dodgers off-season. At least you haven't traded any fan favorites (regardless of their on field value)

But, hey, Russell Martin is back!