2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

13 hours ago, Meacon said:

Mets acquired Keon Broxton from Milwaukee. If he can figure out something offensively, he can be a real player. He plays great defense. He just doesn't hit very well, nor does he know he's allowed to take walks. 

I'd have to agree. He didn't get a lot of at bats this season, but he played a full season in 2017 and had 20 homers. He definitely strikes out too much, so it he can work on that plate discipline, then hos productivity would increase massively. I'm excited to see him in a Mets uniform. 

Reddit Dodger fans starting to lose their shit because we traded Puig (who, I like the guy, but the stats say he's a solid starter, not a star, and baseball is the sport I 'trust' stats the most) and haven't signed Harper yet as if the organization which has won six consecutive division titles and gone to the series back to back has to prove 'they're serious about winning'. Like, excuse me, what the fuck *fallout guy*

I have a feeling the Yanks are going to keep messing around and not get Machado. Cashman held out on a sixth year for Corbin and he went elsewhere. Machado wants $300 million and the Yanks are reportedly not even close to that mark in their “laid back” negotiations. 

If Machado does land somewhere else, I hope it’s the White Sox. Philadelphia fans don’t need any more reasons to be happy.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I have a feeling the Yanks are going to keep messing around and not get Machado. Cashman held out on a sixth year for Corbin and he went elsewhere. Machado wants $300 million and the Yanks are reportedly not even close to that mark in their “laid back” negotiations. 

If Machado does land somewhere else, I hope it’s the White Sox. Philadelphia fans don’t need any more reasons to be happy.

I don't really follow baseball that closely, but my feeling would be that Machado is not a $300 million player.

Just now, DMN said:

I don't really follow baseball that closely, but my feeling would be that Machado is not a $300 million player.

Prior to the offseason, the “experts” across many boards had his projection to be anywhere between 10 years at $300 million to 10 years at $340 million. I don’t think the Yanks want to enter another 10 year contract, which is silly because they’ll be 35 when their contract is up, but I do understand not wanting to pay someone $30 million a year during that time.

3 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Prior to the offseason, the “experts” across many boards had his projection to be anywhere between 10 years at $300 million to 10 years at $340 million. I don’t think the Yanks want to enter another 10 year contract, which is silly because they’ll be 35 when their contract is up, but I do understand not wanting to pay someone $30 million a year during that time.

Baseball money is fucking crazy. It's probably obvious I follow football closest, so ever time I see the contracts the seem insane.

That contract wouldn't be that bad if he produces, like how NFL QB contracts always look better a few years in when other, larger, contracts are signed. I get it too.

I don't think we're trying too hard to re-sign him either. Dodgers have always tried to build mainly through the farm anyway, since like forever.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I think the big wrench in this is that they already took on the massive Stanton contract and when both those contracts are still ongoing will have to pay Judge, Andujar, and Torres all huge money. Those are still a few years off, but they're closely approaching their arbitration years and thus approaching a bigger hit to the team payroll. Hal isn't as big a spender as his dad was and seems to have bought into the idea of building the team more through prospects than trades and free agents.

Basically I think they'll be fine without Machado and that's why they aren't offering him the money he wants. Come in for less to be a Yankee, or take more to be on a team that may never sniff the playoffs your whole time there.

People keep mentioning Pujols, but Manny and Bryce are 26. A ten year contract means you’re likely going to get seven or eight years of them at their peak which more than pays for the last two down years. This isn’t the same as a 32 year old getting a ten year deal. If Pujols had gotten the ten year deal at 26, you’d likely say the contract was worth it. 

But yeah there’s no excusing the Price contract and that’s the way uh huh uh huh I like it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Yasmani Grandal, having turned down a 4-year, $60 million deal from the Mets in December, can’t someone else willing to give him the 4-year contract he wants and now has to settle for a 1-year, $18.25 million deal from the Brewers.

How is that a `settle'? He's gone from one of the worst teams in the league to a team that made the playoffs last year and is likely to do so again. And while its only a one-year deal, it is more than he'd have made for one year under that contract the Mets offered. $60 million divided by 4 is $15 million. Sure, it's a 1 year deal instead of 4, bu t he could very well sign a new one with the Brewers or even another contender afterward if he performs well.