2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

9 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Yeah most of the "Bryce Harper to Chicago" talk I feel has been misconstrued because journalists don't understand how friendship works.

"Kris and Bryce, you're friends, would you like to play together?"

Them: "Yeah I mean that'd be cool"

Everyone: "AHHHHH BRYCE TO CHICAGO BOOK IT"

Well, that's how the NBA works anymore

Watching the Mets' press conference introducing Canó and Dìaz. They look good in those Mets unis (but everyone does, those colors are 👌). From a fan point of view, really happy to have Dìaz around, and I look forward to hopefully getting some good results from Canó. 

Seems like BVW might have other moves in mind, after he said that he "didn't make this move just to have it be our last move," and I'm just hoping that they A) don't involve trading Syndergaard, and B) give us some good power to put in our lineup. I'm going to go ahead and be cautiously optimistic.

Jeff Wilpon during the press conference said that the Mets' analytics department had the team pegged for 83-84 wins before the trade and now they project for the high 80s.

This was the same roster that just won 77 games, yet suddenly they turned into an 83-84 win team before making any moves?  I can only assume the analytics department is filled with chimps and old geezers using Windows 95.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Jeff Wilpon during the press conference said that the Mets' analytics department had the team pegged for 83-84 wins before the trade and now they project for the high 80s.

This was the same roster that just won 77 games, yet suddenly they turned into an 83-84 win team before making any moves?  I can only assume the analytics department is filled with chimps and old geezers using Windows 95.

That's giving them too much credit. They're still using DOS.

8 hours ago, Meacon said:

You’re a Mets fan. If you didn’t have optimism in the offseason, what else would you have? 😛 

Players who are way more famous for being on other teams and Darryl Strawberry.

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

That's giving them too much credit. They're still using DOS.

If you're going to try and out-olds everyone, get it right.

Black ladies do all the math and then put it on punch cards.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Meacon said:

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mets are "aggressively" pursuing a trade for the Marlins JT Realmuto. 

I can't imagine this coming to fruition.  The Marlins apparently want either Conforto, Nimmo, or Rosario as the main piece in return - so the Mets won't be able to get Realmuto without creating a hole somewhere else at the major league level.

Of the three I'd be most inclined to trade Rosario since they still have Andres Gimenez and they can probably get a serviceable stopgap on a reasonable one or two year deal.  But even then, there would have to be more prospects included which will turn them from what is at best a middle of the pack farm system to one of the worst in baseball.

And despite my belief that Brodie wouldn't have taken this job if the Wilpons weren't willing to be flexible financially, I can't see them signing off on a mega deal for a Harper or Machado to fill the void of the guy they trade.

Guys on one-year deals don't get a huge return, but I feel like Arizona shouldn't have just given away a guy as good as him.  First off, Arizona were right in the thick of the NL West until a September collapse.  I don't see why they're already prepared to tear down and start over.  But if the team sucks you can probably move a guy like Goldschmidt in July for one stud prospect instead of a bunch of mediocre ones.

In other news, Nathan Eovaldi is back with the Red Sox.  4 years, $68 million.

Luis Valbuena and Jose Castillo have died in a car accident. Valbuena most recently played for the Angels and was released from the organization in August of this year, and Castillo hadn't played in the MLB since 2008. Carlos Rivero (formerly of the Red Sox) was in the car as well, but survived the accident.

• Sad 2