2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

Bonds, Clemens, Halladay, Jones, Martinez, McGriff, Mussina, Rivera, Rolen, Sheffield, Wagner, and Walker all should get in the Hall of Fame. Helton is pretty close. I assume a few of those guys will unfortunately have to wait until they wind up in some special committee vote in the distant future.

PED use will keep Bonds and Clemens out. Bonds due to suspicion of use. The idiotic crap he's pulled since retiring might also keep Schilling out, but he belongs in.

Clemens was my favorite pitcher before he turned out to be using, and I have no problem with him being denied entrance. The `well, he was good enough to get in before he used' argument doesn't work for me. 

I don't penalize players for a lack of playoff appearances, but the ones who do make it and thrive get a huge bonus from me.  For me, that would give Schilling enough of a bump to go in.  But even though I know I'm not supposed to weigh non-baseball related stuff into a decision, he's just an asshole of the highest magnitude and for that reason I'd probably struggle to ever vote for him so long as there were at least ten other deserving candidates.

24 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Adrian Beltre has announced his retirement.  Hard to believe that he debuted way back in 1998.

3,166 hits, 477 HR, consistently amazing defense.  A no doubt, slam dunk first ballot Hall of Famer in 2024.

I saw that because of this Bartolo Colon is the last active player to have played during the 20th Century. It makes sense but it's still crazy to realize

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't think Schilling deserves to be in, he was right below that line during his playing career. He has a couple heroic postseason moments, but that's the extent of what might put him over.

You know who is in the Hall of Fame and belongs in less than Schilling? Jack Morris, who was inducted this year. Worse career .ERA and a lot less strikeouts.

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

You know who is in the Hall of Fame and belongs in less than Schilling? Jack Morris, who was inducted this year. Worse career .ERA and a lot less strikeouts.

I think I commented on that when he got in. His career numbers are below every starting pitcher in the Hall. And he didn't pitch during a time when offenses were going crazy like Schilling, Mussina, etc.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Have we talked about how the Colorado Spring Sky Sox are now the Rocky Mountain Vibes. Look at this logo. Look at it.

slack_imgs_2.0.jpg

Why is he a god damn Flaming S'More? I can't wait to see what craziness their uniforms bring.

7 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Josh Donaldson signs 1-year/$23M deal with the Braves.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/braves-sign-josh-donaldson.html

Also looks like the Braves are bringing back Brian McCann.

https://www.tsn.ca/braves-sign-mccann-to-1-year-2m-deal-1.1216272

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Josh Donaldson signs 1-year/$23M deal with the Braves.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/braves-sign-josh-donaldson.html

It's a great gamble for AA and the Braves. Alex is familiar with Donaldson, it's only a one year deal and they had the money to spend. If it doesn't work out, they can move him at the deadline so they don't lose him for nothing to free agency, but if it goes well, Donaldson is a guy who could make them a major threat if he stays healthy. Not to mention, as a Jays fan, I'm super happy to see him not signing for a team that we're going to play a whole bunch next season, and even happier that he stayed out of the AL East. Our pitchers don't need to worry about him on top of everyone else who can destroy their confidence in the division.

I hope Atlanta likes rain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

It's a great gamble for AA and the Braves. Alex is familiar with Donaldson, it's only a one year deal and they had the money to spend. If it doesn't work out, they can move him at the deadline so they don't lose him for nothing to free agency, but if it goes well, Donaldson is a guy who could make them a major threat if he stays healthy. Not to mention, as a Jays fan, I'm super happy to see him not signing for a team that we're going to play a whole bunch next season, and even happier that he stayed out of the AL East. Our pitchers don't need to worry about him on top of everyone else who can destroy their confidence in the division.

I hope Atlanta likes rain.

Atlanta is my go-to team in MLB The Show, so I also approve of this development.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Atlanta is my go-to team in MLB The Show, so I also approve of this development.

Growing up in Canada, TBS was the only channel that really showed any non-Jays or Expos baseball at the time, and it quite often aired before or after wrestling... so I grew up watching a lot of Atlanta Braves baseball, and I still feel an attachment to the team. They're my National League team to cheer for because of that. I'm sure you probably had a similar experience, as I can't remember any other channels that would have been available at the time, even out east, that would have shown much other than Toronto, Montreal and Atlanta.

• Like 3