2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I did think that "YANKEES SUCK!" chant, while true, was pretty crass. 

Loved that Pearce, rather than one of the big name players like Betts, was the MVP. It's cool as hell when something like that happens in any team sport.

But I hope we never ever have another game like game 3. By the 12th inning, I honestly stopped caring who won and just wanted the game over.

Oh, and I agree: Kershaw would be nuts to opt out.

Game 3 was awesome! The war of attrition is one of my favorite types of games. Like who wants it more?? And then the strategy of when you use guys. I think it's really cool

This world series seems like it went by incredibly fast.  I'm sure that's largely because I was super busy around the time of the last 3 games, but it seemed like that had barely any rest/travel days.  It's a nice change from the NBA Finals which can feel like they go on for a month.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

The thing for Kershaw is security. If he doesn't opt out, and he continues to regress, he probably can't get a long-term deal. If he does opt out he probably shaves off some salary over the next 2 years but adds that and more back on as he moves into his late 30s.

He'll be staying in LA either way, the hype of "last start for the Dodgers?" was always silly. I'm not saying he's a Dodger for life, but he's a Dodger at least until they do a rebuild.

I'm not saying there won't ever be a rebuild, but you remember when new ownership took over and they spent a bunch of money on free agents to put a competitive team on the field, then fixed the Dodger's farm system, historically one of, if not the, best farm systems in MLB? Yeah, that was the rebuild. It remains to be seen how the legal stuff in Central America/the Caribbean works out, but the Dodgers shouldn't have to rebuild, under current MLB rules they'll be able to reload.

I know that negativity tends to be what I default to for the Mets given their history (well, negativity is what I've been defaulting to for ALL of my teams of late), but I'm cautiously optimistic about the Brodie Van Wagenen hire.

Was he my top choice to be the GM?  No, that would be Chaim Bloom who I think is going to be a stud once he eventually lands that gig somewhere.  But BVW was an outside the box choice, and I appreciate the bold decision over going with the "safe", completely uninspiring choice that would've been Doug Melvin.  It would've reminded me of the NY Giants so much, their whole GM interview process was a sham and they knew they were hiring Dave Gettleman from the outset, they only trotted guys like Louis Riddick out there to try to show the fans that they were looking at different perspectives.

Does BVW have concerns?  Absolutely.  He's never worked in a front office role, and in this particular case the union has already raised concerns that he had access to information that GMs can't normally obtain (medical history, etc.)  Also it sounds like he won't even be allowed to partake in contract negotiations with his former clients, so stuff like a potential deGrom extension would be handled by Assistant GM John Ricco or somebody else.

But I also see reasons for hope.  I expect he'll be cool as a cucumber in the contract negotiations he's allowed to be in.  Agents always try to shoot for the moon in negotiations, but he's been through enough of them to know where a likely settling point is.  Much like Bloom, BVW is said to be a big proponent of analytics which is as big a reason as any why I didn't want Melvin.  But while Bloom is used to operating on a shoestring budget and might not have pushed back on ownership, I feel like BVW will.

While I don't know this for sure, my gut tells me that BVW wouldn't take this job without assurance from ownership that they'll pony up the dough to spend like a big market team. Imagine being an agent, leaving your lucrative job for a huge pay cut to be GM, and then having to bargain bin hunt.  It's not like other agents don't notice that - Scott Boras described the Mets' recent Winter Meetings approach as them shopping in the fruit and nuts section while the rest of the league was at the meat market.  I just don't see BVW taking this role if he was going to set himself up for ridicule from his peers.  But we'll see.

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. I don’t think contract negotiations are the tough part of the job. So seeing how he does with trades, scouting, development, and how he utilized the Mets analytics department are going to likely to be more important than hammering out contracts, but it’ll be fun to follow.

2 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

I know that negativity tends to be what I default to for the Mets given their history (well, negativity is what I've been defaulting to for ALL of my teams of late), but I'm cautiously optimistic about the Brodie Van Wagenen hire.

Was he my top choice to be the GM?  No, that would be Chaim Bloom who I think is going to be a stud once he eventually lands that gig somewhere.  But BVW was an outside the box choice, and I appreciate the bold decision over going with the "safe", completely uninspiring choice that would've been Doug Melvin.  It would've reminded me of the NY Giants so much, their whole GM interview process was a sham and they knew they were hiring Dave Gettleman from the outset, they only trotted guys like Louis Riddick out there to try to show the fans that they were looking at different perspectives.

Does BVW have concerns?  Absolutely.  He's never worked in a front office role, and in this particular case the union has already raised concerns that he had access to information that GMs can't normally obtain (medical history, etc.)  Also it sounds like he won't even be allowed to partake in contract negotiations with his former clients, so stuff like a potential deGrom extension would be handled by Assistant GM John Ricco or somebody else.

But I also see reasons for hope.  I expect he'll be cool as a cucumber in the contract negotiations he's allowed to be in.  Agents always try to shoot for the moon in negotiations, but he's been through enough of them to know where a likely settling point is.  Much like Bloom, BVW is said to be a big proponent of analytics which is as big a reason as any why I didn't want Melvin.  But while Bloom is used to operating on a shoestring budget and might not have pushed back on ownership, I feel like BVW will.

While I don't know this for sure, my gut tells me that BVW wouldn't take this job without assurance from ownership that they'll pony up the dough to spend like a big market team. Imagine being an agent, leaving your lucrative job for a huge pay cut to be GM, and then having to bargain bin hunt.  It's not like other agents don't notice that - Scott Boras described the Mets' recent Winter Meetings approach as them shopping in the fruit and nuts section while the rest of the league was at the meat market.  I just don't see BVW taking this role if he was going to set himself up for ridicule from his peers.  But we'll see.

I think I'm okay with Brodie as GM. Hoping he puts his foot down and makes sure guys like DeGrom her locked down so we can actually win. 

I don't know what I expected, but in Brodie's interview with Mike Francesca, Mike came off like a total douche. Brodie sounds like he believes in our guys, and I guess I can appreciate that. Hoping for a much better 2019.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

It’ll be interesting to see how he does. I don’t think contract negotiations are the tough part of the job. So seeing how he does with trades, scouting, development, and how he utilized the Mets analytics department are going to likely to be more important than hammering out contracts, but it’ll be fun to follow.

He talked about analytics quite a bit in his presser and apparently it was a big talking point for him in his interview, so that makes me optimistic.  Right now the Mets have just three employees in their analytics department, which is pretty pathetic.  Sandy apparently requested for the department to be expanded and he was repeatedly denied as Fred Wilpon just isn't a believer, but I'm hopeful that BVW can change his mind.

52 minutes ago, El TiBubz said:

I don't know what I expected, but in Brodie's interview with Mike Francesca, Mike came off like a total douche.

I didn't hear the interview, but since it was Francesa I can only assume that it was one condescending line after another in between sips of Diet Coke.

• Like 1

Similarly, the Jays have picked up the option on Justin Smoak's contract. Great move, because he offers good value on his deal for what he brings. It also gives Rowdy Tellez time to establish himself as a legit major leaguer before they are forced to play him regularly at first. Depending what happens with Morales in the off-season,  I could see Smoak and Tellez splitting time at First and DH.

With Danny Jansen ready to play more at Catcher and Luke Maile still around, it's possible that Russell Martin might be moved this off-season, but if not, he wouldn't be the worst guy to have around. He can play third a bit until Vlad Jr is called up, and carrying three catchers could provide the Jays with the opportunity to see through the first month or two whether they should move Martin or Maile, and what kind of return they may need to fill holes.

It looks like Devon Travis and Lourdes Gurriel will be battling for regular time at second base. Short is up in the air right now. If Tulowitzki can bounce back from injury, he's still in the top half of the league in terms of Short Stop, but if he can't, we have Aledmys Diaz, and possibly Richard Urena if he can crack the lineup. I highly doubt Solarte's option gets picked up. He showed glimpses of great things, but his contract would be a bit steep for what he provided overall in 2018.

The aforementioned Diaz can play third, along with 2018 pickup Brandon Drury and Catcher Russell Martin... but we all know that Vlad Jr will be playing the hot corner daily before the all-star break. Grichuk, Hernandez, Pillar and McKinney are a solid four outfielders, but if the team can fill holes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pillar on the move. His defense has always kept him on the roster, but the other three have better potential offensively and will probably get a lot of play from the new bench boss, who won't have the same loyalty to Pillar that Gibbons did.

The biggest area of need is going to be pitching this off-season, and there are a few good arms in free agency that could be good additions without breaking the bank (or in the case of JA Happ, break that bank, because he loves the city, the team and is a great leader). Trades seem to be the most logical route though, with the over-abundance of position players in the infield and the possibility of moving Pillar.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the possibility that Bo Bichette gets brought up to play with Vlad Jr, which would mean that we would have one or two possible Short Stops who could be moved if he forces his way onto the roster. Tulo said that he doesn't want to play anything but short, so if Bichette, Diaz or Urena manage to steal the job, he's going to be moved. It would be a forced hand trade, so return for him alone wouldn't be great, but if they could package someone else in there, maybe they get a young big league ready arm, or a B/High C level prospect package.

Edited by Gabriel

@Gabriel

Agree with almost all of that. I'd non-tender or trade Maile. Jansen should play everyday and Martin can back him up when need be. They also have McGuire who can come up if one gets injured. 

The Tulo situation is frustrating. I can't even imagine him hitting if he makes it back. I really want Gurriel in the line-up somewhere as well as Drury so it becomes quite crowded. They need to trade some of those guys to get some pitching, even if it's just to take a chance on some relievers. 

I can see the Jays making some low-risk trades, then snagging some guys on minor league deals to try and fill out the bullpen. 

7 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

@Gabriel

Agree with almost all of that. I'd non-tender or trade Maile. Jansen should play everyday and Martin can back him up when need be. They also have McGuire who can come up if one gets injured. 

The Tulo situation is frustrating. I can't even imagine him hitting if he makes it back. I really want Gurriel in the line-up somewhere as well as Drury so it becomes quite crowded. They need to trade some of those guys to get some pitching, even if it's just to take a chance on some relievers. 

I can see the Jays making some low-risk trades, then snagging some guys on minor league deals to try and fill out the bullpen. 

If I'm sculpting the roster for next season's Jays club, I'm on the phone with every other GM trying to see what kind of pitching package I can get for Tulo right now. Work out some kind of deal where it's Tulowitzki headed out, and a C level prospect coming back for sure... then work around what kind of money we would have to eat on his deal to improve that prospect return, and kick tires on whether or not I can get a better prospect, or a few B level guys, if I add in some position players.

And then I would take whatever money we saved, and add it to the JA Happ Bank. This year's roster should not have a wage matching last year's (because our best players will be guys on entry level deals anyways), but one guy they should throw money at for sure is Happ.

Edited by Gabriel

Just now, Gabriel said:

If I'm sculpting the roster for next season's Jays club, I'm on the phone with every other GM trying to see what kind of pitching package I can get for Tulo right now. Work out some kind of deal where it's Tulowitzki headed out, and a C level prospect coming back for sure... then work around what kind of money we would have to eat on his deal to improve that prospect return, and kick tires on whether or not I can get a better prospect, or a few B level guys, if I add in some position players.

That would be amazing. But if I'm any other GM, I'm hanging up the phone immediately. 

No way does someone give anything for Tulo. Even if the Jays agree to eat his contract, that’s still a spot on your 40 and 25-man roster you’d have to give him over someone younger, cheaper, and most likely just as if not more productive. That’s just a contract and player Toronto has to eat, just like the Yanks with Jacoby.

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

No way does someone give anything for Tulo. Even if the Jays agree to eat his contract, that’s still a spot on your 40 and 25-man roster you’d have to give him over someone younger, cheaper, and most likely just as if not more productive. That’s just a contract and player Toronto has to eat, just like the Yanks with Jacoby.

Come on now, I know the Yankees are the Evil Empire, but you don't have to resort to cannibalizing your own players.

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

That's fine though too. What are the rules around guys refusing to play? If he doesn't win the SS position in spring training, and he walks away, can the Jays terminate the contract? Because that does more for us than eating a bunch of salary and getting prospects back who probably won't ever see the majors.