2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

Gold Glove winners announced:

NL
P Zack Greinke, Diamondbacks
C Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B Freddie Freeman, Braves AND Anthony Rizzo, Cubs (tied vote totals)
2B DJ Lemahieu, Rockies
SS Nick Ahmed, Diamondbacks
3B Nolan Arenado, Rockies
LF Corey Dickerson, Pirates
CF Ender Inciarte, Braves
RF Nick Markakis, Braves

AL
P Dallas Keuchel, Astros
C Salvador Perez, Royals
1B Matt Olson, Athletics
2B Ian Kinsler, Angels/Red Sox
SS Andrelton Simmons, Angels
3B Matt Chapman, Athletics
LF Alex Gordon, Royals
CF Jackie Bradley Jr., Red Sox
RF Mookie Betts, Red Sox

They did a much better job with these than they have in recent years.  The defensive metrics support just about all of these choices except for the catching spots which seemed to go to Molina and Perez mostly off of reputation.  In fairness, catcher is a harder spot to evaluate for this award now because so many teams began operating under a strict timeshare at that position.

9 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Billy Hamilton got ROBBED. He's been nominated 4 years in a row and hasn't won yet. This should have been his year. I blame it on him playing for a small market team.

Hamilton maybe should have won in previous years but he wasn't even in the top 3 of best defensive center fielders in the NL this year. 

• Like 1

I give credit to CC for deciding in advance that this will be it.  He's pretty much got a rubber arm and could've kept continuing indefinitely.

Speaking of which, Bartolo Colon wants to pitch another year, which would be his age 46 season.

At his age to see him rack up sub-4 FIP years from 2011-16 was impressive not to mention the guilty pleasure of watching him swing the bat with the Mets.  After a terrible 2017 I understand why he wanted to play another season and try to end on a better note.  But he was even worse last year, 5.47 FIP with 32 home runs allowed.  He met his goal of passing Juan Marichal for most wins by a Dominican pitcher, and now he should call it a career.  I love the guy, but it's time.

40 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

He's going to be overpaid no matter where he lands, since Boras is his agent. I do not want him on the Red Sox.

Well, yeah, because then he wouldn’t be a Yankee.

• Like 1