2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

I can't stand the Braves. For many reasons, but here are the top 3:

1. `America's Team'. The Dallas Cowboys get a lot of hate for it, and they didn't even name themselves that. The media did. In fact, Tom Landry, who was their coach at the time, hated it and knew the trouble it would cause. Yet, the Braves practically named themselves that (Well, actually, I believe Sports Illustrated did) and embraced it. Where the hell's the hatred for them over it?  i.e., If you hate the Cowboys specifically for it, but not the Braves, you just might be a hypocrite unless you're actually a Braves fan. I get other reasons people hate the Cowboys, but anyone who hates them only because of the `America's Team' label and nothing else is probably uninformed/misinformed. (If you hate the Cowboys due to Jerry Jones, we're in the same club. But I was a fan before he owned them, and I hate the Colts' and Redskins' owners even more.)

2. The tomahawk chop motion and the chant that goes along with it are both annoying and racist. Got enough of that back when the Braves were in the World Series several times. I will NOT watch Braves home games because of it. And yes, that would include their home games during the World Series, as well as regular season ones.

3. They're designated my area's `team' despite being about an equal distance from Atlanta and Cincinnati. For the longest period, you could only find Braves merchandise for sale here until sports apparel/memorbilia stores opened up. And the news would cover the Braves during the sports segment. Unless they're in the title hunt, I actually see a lot more people wearing Reds gear than Braves. In fact, I see more people wearing Yankees, Cubs and a few other teams' gear than Braves. They're clearly not the most popular team in my area. (This is the reason I most expect anyone to understand.)

I grew up with Braves games on TBS, Cubs and White Sox games on WGN, and whatever ESPN decided to air as far as cable goes. I watched the Cubs, and occasionally the White Sox. Yet I'm mainly a Cincinnati Reds and Boston Red Sox fan (Cubs are my second favorite NL team; I have no second favorite AL team), despite my parents being Los Angeles Dodgers fans and blue being my favorite color. Go figure.

Edited by GhostMachine

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

1. `America's Team'. The Dallas Cowboys get a lot of hate for it, and they didn't even name themselves that. The media did. In fact, Tom Landry, who was their coach at the time, hated it and knew the trouble it would cause. Yet, the Braves practically named themselves that (Well, actually, I believe Sports Illustrated did) and embraced it. Where the hell's the hatred for them over it?  i.e., If you hate the Cowboys specifically for it, but not the Braves, you just might be a hypocrite unless you're actually a Braves fan. I get other reasons people hate the Cowboys, but anyone who hates them only because of the `America's Team' label and nothing else is probably uninformed/misinformed. (If you hate the Cowboys due to Jerry Jones, we're in the same club. But I was a fan before he owned them, and I hate the Colts' and Redskins' owners even more.)

2. The tomahawk chop motion and the chant that goes along with it are both annoying and racist. Got enough of that back when the Braves were in the World Series several times. I will NOT watch Braves home games because of it. And yes, that would include their home games during the World Series, as well as regular season ones.

3. They're designated my area's `team' despite being about an equal distance from Atlanta and Cincinnati. For the longest period, you could only find Braves merchandise for sale here until sports apparel/memorbilia stores opened up. And the news would cover the Braves during the sports segment. Unless they're in the title hunt, I actually see a lot more people wearing Reds gear than Braves. In fact, I see more people wearing Yankees, Cubs and a few other teams' gear than Braves. They're clearly not the most popular team in my area. (This is the reason I most expect anyone to understand.)

I grew up with Braves games on TBS, Cubs and White Sox games on WGN, and whatever ESPN decided to air as far as cable goes. I watched the Cubs, and occasionally the White Sox. Yet I'm mainly a Cincinnati Reds and Boston Red Sox fan (Cubs are my second favorite NL team; I have no second favorite AL team), despite my parents being Los Angeles Dodgers fans and blue being my favorite color. Go figure.

Do you like anything?

(not including the Yankees, obviously)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

This is a weird amount of hate towards the Braves for a Yankee's fan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

@Meacon Who is Ronald Torryes?

*Cliche' incoming* a scrappy little utility guy. He's small, but he's a decent enough hitter, who doesn't ever really walk. But he can play pretty much any position you need him to. I like him. I'm sad to see him go. 

Huuuuuuge mole on his face though. Like "Moley, moley, moley" big. 

• Like 1

I'm both fascinated and perplexed at the trade rumors emanating out of Mets land.

First off, the Mets and Mariners have had substantial discussion on a Robinson Cano trade.  The Mariners are desperate to get out of the 5 years, $120 million he's owed and it sounds like they'd be willing to pay $10 million a year just to move him off the books.  The Mets also want the Mariners to pick up the remining 2 years of Jay Bruce's contract.  Add all that up and it means the Mets are taking on no additional payroll cost in 2019 and 2020 to swap Cano for Bruce.

On top of that, it's thought that the trade will involve either Edwin Diaz or Mitch Haniger going to New York.  The Mets would likely need to kick a prospect or two in for it, but either of those guys would be nice additions.  I'm worried about Cano declining in his ages 38-40 seasons, when the Mets will be paying him $14 million per year and he's likely going to have to play 1B which would block Peter Alonso unless he's in this deal.  But if nothing else, I can appreciate BVW using some some outside the box thinking.  The Mets rarely make a move this bold, and with a healthy rotation this could give the Mets a shot at contending next year.

But then there are other rumors that the Mets are highly motivated to trade Noah Syndergaard this winter while signing a replacement.  There isn't a free agent starter as good as Syndergaard on the market, let alone one that will be available for what Syndergaard is going to make the next three years.  In no scenario do you trade a guy like if the goal is to win now.  And if the goal isn't to win now, why on earth would you even entertain the idea of bringing in Cano?

Yeah, I read the Mets blurbs and am not quite sure what they're trying to achieve. Cano has dropped off significantly (defensively, which was never a strong point, and health wise anyway). I'd be incredibly hesitant to take on that contract even if it means getting rid of Jay Bruce's. 

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, I read the Mets blurbs and am not quite sure what they're trying to achieve. Cano has dropped off significantly (defensively, which was never a strong point, and health wise anyway). I'd be incredibly hesitant to take on that contract even if it means getting rid of Jay Bruce's. 

To me it really comes down to the Diaz/Haniger piece.  In a hypothetical where they're getting one of those dudes plus Cano and a ton of money while offloading Bruce and trading maybe one prospect, I could see it.  Yeah the Cano deal might look bad in a few years, but it would improve the team for the next two seasons and you don't make a move like that if you're not trying to win now.  Mariners would still be kicking in $10 million per so it's less of a hit.

But still, I'm concerned on what prospect they'd give up to land Diaz/Haniger.  Diaz is a great closer, but there are sooooo many good relievers on the market, I don't really wanna trade #6 overall pick Jarred Kelenic for a reliever.  In a perfect world the Mariners will be enticed by SS Andres Gimenez who I do like but Amed Rosario will be here for the long run so it's an easier pill to swallow.  I'll also be sad if they trade Jeff McNeil after he came out of nowhere this year, but he's 27 years old and was an unranked prospect going into last year, I think Mets fans are paranoid now about another Justin Turner/Daniel Murphy situation.

If we trade away a good prospect to Seattle only to turn around and flip Syndergaard, I will be irate.

The Mets and Mariners are both making some ridiculous decisions in regards to the Cano/Diaz trade. I can't figure out why the M's are trading their best trade chip for what basically amounts to salary relief and a few prospects. They could get a top prospect for Diaz in another deal for sure, but they seem committed to avoiding paying Cano all of that increasingly awful deal.

Cano is going to drop off a cliff. Maybe next year, maybe the year after. But it's coming and there's nothing to do with him since he's going to be on an NL team. The Mets might be able to reopen a window if their pitching can all be on next year, but it's short-sighted since giving up prospects more than likely kicks a can further down the road. I guess one scenario is if they do stink next year they can flip Diaz in July.

Also, before you research it, yes Van Wagenen did represent Cano.

Supposedly the deal is 98% of the way there and will be finalized Friday.

Cano and Diaz to New York, Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak being dumped to Seattle.  But what nobody seems to know concretely is who the Mets are trading between Jeff McNeil, Jarred Kelenic, and Justin Dunn.  Andy Martino thinks that ALL THREE could be Seattle-bound.

If he actually included all three of those guys I’m gonna be sick.