2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

7 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Supposedly the deal is 98% of the way there and will be finalized Friday.

Cano and Diaz to New York, Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak being dumped to Seattle.  But what nobody seems to know concretely is who the Mets are trading between Jeff McNeil, Jarred Kelenic, and Justin Dunn.  Andy Martino thinks that ALL THREE could be Seattle-bound.

If he actually included all three of those guys I’m gonna be sick.

There's no way. 

Meanwhile the Padres signed Garrett Richards. Two years with $15.5 million guaranteed. Possible max of $18 million. Good deal for the Fathers. They seem to think they're ready to compete (I disagree but what do I know?) and even if they aren't, a two year deal for a guy like Richards will be easy enough to move either this July or next. 

Pretty disappointing, but not entirely surprising considering how many other people accused of the same thing are still playing (Osuna, Reyes, Chapman, Familia). I feel like there needs to be a change, especially considering that PED use penalties are far more strict. 

But who facilitates that change? The owners have little incentive to potentially lose out on an asset and I don't see the Player's Association advocating for greater change.

This stuff, plus the recent donation to Hyde-Smith has me incredibly dissapointed in the MLB.

Any time that a player is found guilty of spousal abuse, they should be forced to donate half of their earnings for the rest of their career to men's and women's shelters for those who are victims of it. Obviously, it would need CBA approval before it went through, but how awful would the Players Association look if they fought against something like that? If you're going to allow people to continue playing post-conviction, there needs to be some work done to show that the league and players association take the matters seriously and want to change the culture.

Similar charities should benefit from other instances where a player is found guilty of a crime. Right now, the only people who are really affected by these things are the teams that either have to continue playing someone that makes their fans uncomfortable because they can't move them... or teams who feel like they are obligated to move these players and get back a return that is considerably smaller than it would have been if they were dealing from a position of strength. So basically, when someone like Russell or Osuna fuck up, the people hurt most by it are their victims, the teams they play for, and the fans who used to support them. Sure, they have to deal with the stigma as players for the rest of their careers, but a guy like Osuna for instance... I don't remember if he was ever found guilty, and I think they actually reached a settlement without him pleading if I recall correctly... but if he was in fact guilty of what he was accused of, the guy got a heck of a vacation and then returned to find himself in a much better professional situation, playing for a contender instead of a rebuilding team. It's kind of bullshit how it works right now.

The Jays non-tendered Yangervis Solarte, unsurprisingly. More surprisingly, both Kevin Pillar and Devon Travis were tendered, despite both not being productive enough to say that they are the leaders for their spots come training camp. It wouldn't shock me if Pillar is moved at some point during the season, and Travis has been leap-frogged on the depth chart by three or four other guys who could step in and play second if he wasn't around.

16 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Offensively Pillar isn't all that special, but he's darn good in the outfield. 

But yeah, I'm not sure what they intend to do with Devon Travis. 

Pillar's defensive play has been slipping for the past couple of seasons. Last year was especially noticeable. He's still a 2 Win player, but if he keeps regressing with his play in the outfield, and his bat doesn't magically heat up, he's literally just making it harder for the team to get these other guys more reps in games. With Alford, Grichuk, Hernandez, McKinney, Davis and Pompey all capable outfielders who should be getting the opportunity to earn full-time spots, it seems a little counter-productive to keep Pillar around... unless the plan is to see if he can regain form and mentor some of these guys, with the option of trading him for whatever we can get should that not work out, or the other outfielders push him to the bench permanently.

It's also worth noting that a few of the infield prospects have been playing the outfield to try and get more opportunity as well, as there's still quite the logjam there, even with the team cutting ties with Solarte.

Either way, I hope the new skipper makes it clear to Pillar and Travis that their service time and contracts won't stop him from playing guys who are performing better. The worst thing that a rebuilding team can do is neglect their young players out of some sense of loyalty to the old guard, or fear of having to bury bigger contracts in the minors or have them sit on the bench.

Even with Solarte gone, there's still Drury, Gurriel, Travis, Tulowitzki, Urena, Bichette and Biggio all pushing to play 2nd/Short. Drury will probably be our 3B to start the year, but everyone knows that's a temporary assignment, keeping the seat warm for Vlad, who absolutely will play the bulk of the games at third after he gets called up.

The infield should look like this: 1B/DH Smoak and Tellez, 2B Drury or Gurriel, SS Gurriel or Bichette, 3B Guerrero.

I'm afraid it's going to be: 1B Smoak, 2B Travis, SS Tulowitzki, 3B Guerrero... with Morales stuck at DH. I love Morales, his personality, veteran leadership, willingness to take the heat when he's not playing well, ability to make adjustments even after all of his years in the league, and the power that he brings to the plate. But this team really can't afford a full time DH when there are so many young guys like Guerrero and Tellez who would benefit from being able to get reps in at 3rd and 1st respectively, while playing DH somewhat regularly to rest and get these other infielders some time on the field.

I would absolutely love it if the Jays could move Morales to a contender, even if it means eating a large portion of his contract. He deserves the opportunity to win, and the team needs the flexibility of not having him as an every day DH. Tulo is a whole other problem. Hopefully he either regains his form and earns his playing time, or they find a way to get rid of his contract, whether it's a refused assignment or a trade.

Aside from hopefully picking up JA Happ again, the best money the team could possibly spend in 2019 is not having Morales or Tulowitzki on the 25 Man Roster.

I think the Jays are going to do some smart retooling by moving the excess veterans to contenders and picking up a part here and piece there. The kind of stuff you use to fill out a good roster built around their deep prospect pool. I think it's a really underrated way to build a team. One-year and two-year contracts for vets are very moveable and teams in contention are willing to pick up that salary (or most of the salary) while sending back guys that are likely major leaguers but not likely stars. Depth is super important during a long season, and having guys with minor league options can effectively give a team a 30-35 man roster. You don't get that by signing vets to fill holes, but you do get it by stocking the farm with high floor, low ceiling prospects that teams regularly are fine parting with in trade negotiations.

The Mets/Mariners deal is expected to be finalized Monday or Tuesday once medicals are all passed, but the trade is confirmed as:

Mets get:
2B Robinson Cano
RHP Edwin Diaz
$20 million

Mariners gets:
1B/OF Jay Bruce
RHP Anthony Swarzak
RHP Gerson Bautista
RHP Justin Dunn
OF Jarred Kelenic

The $20 million for Cano is way, way less than the initial numbers getting thrown around ($50-$60 million) but it now seems clear that those rumors were tying in the $33 million Seattle is taking on for Bruce and Swarzak.  Despite the rumors getting a lot of Mets fans, myself included, excited - it was never realistic.  No team would spend $90 million and trade away possibly the best closer in baseball with four years of control just to save $30 million.

They have no other choice but to do that.  They were set to clear a ton of salary space after 2020 with Ces and Wright coming off the books, and now they’ve instead added $20 million a year for Cano through 2023.

The thing is - if they’re willing to do a big spending bonanza, why not save the prospects and dive into this very deep market?

I read a rumor that the Mets are also talking to the Indians about a trade for Corey Kluber, which sounds great, but also makes me worry about who they'd potentially give up. Mets also need to pick up a bat or two. Ideally, I'd love if the Mets could get Harper and Grandal. I know it's probably a long shot, but I'd love to see Harper as a Met. I'm not sure where he'd even fit into the lineup, but I've always liked Marwin Gonzalez, and I think he would be a good Met, too. 

21 hours ago, El TiBear Jew said:

I read a rumor that the Mets are also talking to the Indians about a trade for Corey Kluber, which sounds great, but also makes me worry about who they'd potentially give up. Mets also need to pick up a bat or two. Ideally, I'd love if the Mets could get Harper and Grandal. I know it's probably a long shot, but I'd love to see Harper as a Met. I'm not sure where he'd even fit into the lineup, but I've always liked Marwin Gonzalez, and I think he would be a good Met, too. 

It's not going to happen.  I don't see the Indians tearing down for a full rebuild given that their division should be very winnable for the next few years.  So to pry a guy as good as Kluber would mean surrendering big league talent.  I see a lot of people assuming the Syndergaard rumors are tied in to Kluber.  Kluber is a better pitcher than Syndergaard, but he's also older and more likely to regress.  If the idea is to build an unstoppable rotation, moving Syndergaard doesn't help that.

Cleveland beat writers think the Indians will want a young, cost-controlled outfielder, which would mean a trade package likely starts with Nimmo or Conforto.  They've just added Cano, and his impact is lessened by trading another hitter out of the lineup.

The only way moving Nimmo or Conforto works is if the team says screw the budget and signs Harper.  Adding Harper, Kluber, and Cano in one offseason feels like something that could only happen in The Show.