2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

ESPN reporting that the crash was caused by bandits. 

The 33-year-old Valbuena and 37-year-old Castillo died late Thursday when their SUV crashed as it tried to veer around an object placed in the road, Yaracuy state Gov. Julio Leon Heredia said on his Twitter account.

He said four people have been detained after being found with property of the athletes.

Apparently, it's commonplace in Venezuela for would-be robbers to place things (big rocks, etc) in the road to stop cars and rob them.

• Sad 1

The only important stat that McGriff has Baines beat in is home runs. But McGriff lead the league in home runs twice and has 2 more Silver Slugger awards.

I just don't like players going in who don't deserve it. Jack Morris didn't deserve it last year. And as much as I liked Baines as a player, he doesn't deserve to be in, either.

If the Mets trade three years of Syndergaard away for two years of Realmuto I will be absolutely livid.  They need to get back a lot more than that.

I can’t see it happening.  I could maybe see Wheeler or Matz being floated, but Fred Wilpon isn’t gonna sign off on sending one of the most popular players on the team to the Bronx.  There’s a reason Mets and Yankee trades tend to involve unimportant players.

Lol, Rosario and Nimmo.  Jeter can fuck off with that.

Van Wagenen’s weird insistence on trading Syndergaard leads me to believe he knows something that we don’t.  People thought he wanted Cano because he used to be his agent, but he was also deGrom and Syndergaard’s agent.

But it might not be much more than common sense.  Realistically I think he knows he’s not going to have the budget space to give them both the kind of money they’re going to want when their contracts are up.  But if the goal is to win in these next two years it still makes no sense to trade him for anything less than a haul.

58 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Tulo is getting released. Is he even healthy?

According to the Jays and Tulowitzki, he's good to go for Spring Training. It just made zero sense to keep him on the roster, because we have a logjam of guys who can play the infield which is made worse by the impending arrival of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. We also have Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette, both of whom could potentially force their way onto the roster at some point next season, which further complicates the infield situation.

I'm sure they did their due diligence to see if anybody would take back any of Tulo's contract in a trade, but he's more realistically someone who can receive a spring training invite on a PTO. I'm sure he will end up playing spring training games for somebody, but his production has fallen heavily, he's on the wrong side of 30 and has had surgery on both of his heels in the past two years. He also only wants to play short stop, which is not a position that someone can excel in without being able to move well, and the jury is still very much out on whether or not Tulo can do that, and even if he can, how long for.

If I'm the GM of any of the other 29 teams, I'm looking at my depth at the position and playing around with the idea of extending Tulowitzki a spring training invite or very cheap one year deal with an opt-out close for both sides, but I would highly recommend nobody give him anything guaranteed.

Some team like Minnesota will probably take a one year flier on him and use him as trade bait at the deadline if he proves to be healthy again.

14 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Mets are also apparently willing to back off and go after Grandal, should Jeter continue to ask for way too much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Van Wagenen’s weird insistence on trading Syndergaard leads me to believe he knows something that we don’t.  People thought he wanted Cano because he used to be his agent, but he was also deGrom and Syndergaard’s agent.

But it might not be much more than common sense.  Realistically I think he knows he’s not going to have the budget space to give them both the kind of money they’re going to want when their contracts are up.  But if the goal is to win in these next two years it still makes no sense to trade him for anything less than a haul.

I keep thinking about this and there has to be something up with Syndergaard. Otherwise you wouldn't be entertaining offers that would wind up as a downgrade unless you know his arm is a ticking time bomb.

3 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Andrew McCutchen to the Phillies.  3 years, $50 million.

This is just a comically bad contract for a guy over 30 who has been on the decline but he does work well in the leadoff spot since he consistently gets long at-bats. Just they're ending as outs instead of hits now. It's an expensive price to pay for something you probably can get elsewhere, but whatever. The Phillies said "stupid with money" and I'm glad to see they're sticking with the plan.

• Like 1