2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

I like what Brodie has done, but I agree it was a dumb statement.  Assuming health (something you can never do with the Mets), the team figures to be good enough to get north of .500, maybe around 85 or so wins.  In the era of two Wild Cards, that's good enough to at least keep you in the mix into late September and give you a full season.  But winning the division is not realistic unless the Braves and Phillies both take a step back, which is hard to see since they've only gotten better and aren't done making moves yet.

The Mets could transform this team into a legitimate contender if they just pony up the dough to sign a Machado or Harper.  Supposedly neither of them want to play in Philadelphia and they'd prefer New York.  So Machado's probably gonna wind up being a Yankee, and the Dodgers made all those trades to clear room for Harper, they'll give him an offer he can't refuse.

But no matter how unrealistic it is to imagine either of them in Mets gear, the fact that the Mets haven't even met with either of those guys is a damn joke.  They might have the occasional year or two of relevance but they're never going to be consistent contenders with the penny pinching Wilpons around.

4 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

With Cleveland likely taking another step back next year and the White Sox not there yet, the Twins are probably smart to spend money and try to win the division next year.

Absolutely. And it's not like they committed term to an aging player. They scored a one year deal with an option on a guy who hasn't really shown much regression yet, but has a wealth of experience. If Cruz can hit 30 dingers for them, it's a steal of a deal in a division that is pretty open.

1 minute ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Cruz was a highly touted prospect who upon entering his age 28 season had only hit 22 career home runs and had many questioning if he simply wasn't going to live up to the hype.

He's hit 338 home runs in the decade since.

I mean this is true and all, but he's evidently had some help along the way.

11 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I mean this is true and all, but he's evidently had some help along the way.

If you want to say a guy is roided to the gills you can just say it.

• Like 4

On 27/12/2018 at 07:47, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

I like what Brodie has done, but I agree it was a dumb statement.  Assuming health (something you can never do with the Mets), the team figures to be good enough to get north of .500, maybe around 85 or so wins.  In the era of two Wild Cards, that's good enough to at least keep you in the mix into late September and give you a full season.  But winning the division is not realistic unless the Braves and Phillies both take a step back, which is hard to see since they've only gotten better and aren't done making moves yet.

The Mets could transform this team into a legitimate contender if they just pony up the dough to sign a Machado or Harper.  Supposedly neither of them want to play in Philadelphia and they'd prefer New York.  So Machado's probably gonna wind up being a Yankee, and the Dodgers made all those trades to clear room for Harper, they'll give him an offer he can't refuse.

But no matter how unrealistic it is to imagine either of them in Mets gear, the fact that the Mets haven't even met with either of those guys is a damn joke.  They might have the occasional year or two of relevance but they're never going to be consistent contenders with the penny pinching Wilpons around.

Are the Mets completely out of the woods from the Madoff scheme?

On 29/12/2018 at 16:27, Sticks Sticksly said:

Are the Mets completely out of the woods from the Madoff scheme?

I believe they’ve paid back everything they needed to, but it’s clearly taken a hit to the Wilpons’ personal wealth.  The team just plum doesn’t spend like a big market team when it was never a problem before Madoff.

Mariners sign Yusei Kikuchi to one of the weirdest contracts I've seen.  It starts as a guaranteed three-year, $43 million contract.  After the third year, the Mariners then have the ability to lock him in to a team option four-year, $66 million extension.  If they decline to do that that, Kikuchi has a player option for one-year, $13 million or he can decline it and hit free agency.

So depending on what happens the total contract value can be 3/43, 4/56, or 7/109.

Surely he means spending all season on the disabled list next to the absolutely useless Jacoby Ellsbury. 

Fur eels though, I don't mind it. It is what it is. He isn't what he once was, but $555k for a guy that may play 40-50 games is fine. We could do worse. I'm not a huge fan of him taking up a spot on the 25-man, but he likely won't be healthy long enough to really steal anybody else's spot. 

Mets now have two right handed center fielders who play great defense but can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

Brodie must be confident in Broxton being a late bloomer.  Because other than that I can’t really say I understand this especially with Lagares making $9 million this year.