2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

I'm quite content to just move on from Realmuto, it's gotten ridiculous at this point.

I'm reading they're interested in Martin Maldonado and that would be such a letdown.  He's good defensively but his bat really, really sucks and you simply can't get away with that when you already have Rosario, Lagares, and a pitcher spot in the lineup.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm over Realmuto, but I would love to see Grandal in a Mets uniform. 

I'm really just wondering how/why the Marlins are valuing Realmuto the way they are. He's not a Piazza-type, and they're asking for a big return. He's barely even put up better numbers than Charles Johnson, who is the only notable Marlins catcher other than Pudge. I'd be interested to see if he ends up being traded or gets stuck with Miami.

15 hours ago, Meacon said:

Rangers signed Lance Lynn to a three-year $30 million deal, and every football and hockey player everywhere wishes they had played baseball instead. 

Angels signed Justin Bour.

The Reds traded for Tanner Roark, who was expendable after the Patrick Corbin signing.

It was a Tanner for Tanner deal as the Reds sent back Tanner Rainey.

3 team trade:

Rays get 3B Yandy Diaz and P Cole Susler

Indians gets Carlos Santana and 1B Jake Bauers

Mariners get Edwin Encarnacion

As a Rays fan, I am saddened. I thought we DFA'ed CJ Cron to get more at bats for Bauers, who I thought would be a cornerstone for the franchise. 

Edited by million$$man

2 hours ago, million$$man said:

3 team trade:

Rays get 3B Yandy Diaz and P Cole Susler

Indians gets Carlos Santana and 1B Jake Bauera

Mariners get Edwin Encarnacion

As a Rays fan, I am saddened. I thought we DFA'ed CJ Cron to get more at bats for Bauers, who I thought would be a cornerstone for the franchise. 

This is an extremely odd trade for all parties involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

This is an extremely odd trade for all parties involved.

Apparently the Mariners felt that it would be easier to unload Encarnacion's contract as opposed to Santana, and that's why the deal was made from their end. Makes sense too, as they're on similar deals, but Edwin has one less year to deal with than Santana does. So the Indians pick up a lesser replacement for Encarnacion, but they also get a good prospect out of Bauer. Seattle will likely move Encarnacion, and the Rays wind up with two good prospects. Diaz raked in the high minors, and the deal also gives them more financial flexibility as they look for an impact bat in free agency.

Cleveland downgraded this year, but will be in better position with first base going forward as they can potentially platoon Santana and Bauer at 1B/DH. Tampa Bay gets prospects and financial flexibility. Seattle gets an easier contract to move in Encarnacion, who will probably be flipped for prospects to a contender.