2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

4 hours ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

You work for Fantatics? Tell your shipping department that I fucking hate them :shifty: 

On the note of uniforms, will this change what the uniforms look like I wonder?

What from Fanatics did you order as might not have been my warehouse.

As far as the uniforms some change is coming to atleast retail as we are going more heat press over hand sewn. Onfield I believe will stay sewn on. And expect soon the Majestic logo to be gone and the swoosh to be in I would say.

I don't order them...well I guess I do when I order my Grandfather's Blue Jays stuff for his birthday and christmas's. I work for a company who ships the stuff. Their paperwork is never correct and the complain about every little charge. Bunch of bastards.

Although now that I'm losing enough weight that I may be able to wear a Jersey by summer time, I am thinking about getting a Jay's jersey. I feel like the heat press ones won't be as good a quality as the hand sewn ones though.

I say this every year but I'd like to tune in for more baseball games this year. I watched a few last year but not nearly enough to really know who is good and who isn't, so a lot of this trade talk doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean I know who guys like Machado are but once you get past the name guys. I've really got no insight into any of them.

11 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

We actually signed someone the other day! Did I post that? Well we did. Brad Brach. Can never have enough good bullpen guys. Not like a flashy signing or anything but should help

Ditto for the Mets, signing Justin Wilson to a two-year, $10 million deal.  I mean they definitely needed another reliever especially from the left side.  His walk rate scares the hell out of me but we’ll see.

13 hours ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

You work for Fantatics? Tell your shipping department that I fucking hate them :shifty: 

I’ve had nothing but good luck with Fanatics.  I got my dad a Phil Simms throwback and my stepdad an Alan Trammel BP throwback for Christmas and they arrived almost instantly.

Had to unsubscribe from their emails though as they seem to send stuff every day.

1 hour ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Ditto for the Mets, signing Justin Wilson to a two-year, $10 million deal.  I mean they definitely needed another reliever especially from the left side.  His walk rate scares the hell out of me but we’ll see.

I’ve had nothing but good luck with Fanatics.  I got my dad a Phil Simms throwback and my stepdad an Alan Trammel BP throwback for Christmas and they arrived almost instantly.

Had to unsubscribe from their emails though as they seem to send stuff every day.

Does the Phil Simms jersey turn into a Jeff Hostetler one for big games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

I agree in some ways with some of the discussions in that thread. Mainly the one on top, I bemoan the loss of old school NL 'small ball'. String hits, move runners, bunts and sacrifices, stolen bases, manufacture runs, it's technical baseball and I love it. Now everyone is trying to be a 'three true outcomes' hitter, and, ugh. Like, strikeouts aren't the worst thing ever, but get that ball in play, let's see what happens.

I feel one of the strongest things about the NFL, and American football in general, is that there are any number of valid strategies for winning games, winning championships, uncountable philosophies and 'metas' to the game, and baseball, due to the man crux of the game being an interaction with only two variables (pitcher/hitter) and analytics, sometimes it feels like there's only one 'right' way. I dunno, I think way too much about shit like this, like, I enjoy talking about this type of stuff about sports more than the actual stuff on the field sometimes.

• Like 2

The Blue Jays have signed Short Stop Freddy Galvis to a one year deal with a club option.

While I didn't think we needed to add major league infielders, it's a really good pickup for a couple of reasons. Galvis is coming off his best offensive season, and has appeared in every game for the past two years. The Jays haven't been able to stay healthy, so adding someone with that durability is a big get at this point. The second reason? The management has been talking about how everyone will need to earn their playing time, no matter who they are, in 2019. I love that, and even though we have a lot of MLB ready infielders already, it's great to have that internal competition. If Galvis is the guy who gets regular playing time, it helps develop prospects at the Triple A level for another year. If he busts, there's someone else there to take that spot.

He also comes in as a potential trade chip for the deadline if the team is out of it and wants to get playing time for the prospects. Feels like a no-lose situation for the Jays with this signing, especially at a $5 million price tag.

I think after three years of this Strat league, I’m going to quit.

There’s 24 teams, most of them have been in the league for 10+ years. Whenever I email a guy to discuss a trade, they want my best guys for trash. 

Yet I sit here and year in and year out I see those same guys trading young talented players to the Commissioner and back-to-back league Champion (who has won six out of the last seven years too, mind you) for trash. Just today the Commish traded Addison Russel for Trea Turner and Yadier Molina for J.T. Realmuto. Keep in mind that this guys team finished with 120 wins in a 162 game season and no other teams won 100 last year. There’s something seriously fishy going on, and if there isn’t then I’m not sure I want to continue to be in a league with a bunch of people content to drop their drawers and spread their cheeks for this guy every damn year.

The only downside to the fantasy leagues we run (that I've been apart of) is that they aren't keeper leagues. I'm all about keeper leagues. I'm not sure if any of the fantasy services have that as an option, but if they do, we should do it. I haven't participated in an MLB league on EWB yet, but looking around at the people who are in this thread mostly, I think most of us have been members for 5+ years, so it's not like we'd have a bunch of turnover all the time.

Even when people drop out, it's not too bad depending on the limits of whatever service we'd be using. If someone drops out and we can't replace them with another player, we could always just have a draft of that player's roster, with the last place team selecting first.

Either way, I'm in for a fantasy league this season.

Fantasy baseball (and basketball, I don't even know about hockey) are confusing as shit to me. Like, I get fantasy football, but you start throwing some of the stats for baseball around and I don't know what is going on. That's the main reason I pretty much only play FF on EWB and none of the other sports. I think I tried baseball and basketball at least once, and coming from football, where micro-managing your roster takes maybe a couple of hours between reading stuff and actually changing around your team, but trying to take that same energy over to the other sports just burned me out and I wasn't sure how to actually play, if that makes sense.