Greatest/most talented sportsperson you've ever watched?

Liam

I've been drinking, I'm watching clips on Youtube, I'm reminded that even though I'm mainly a football fan, I've probably not watched someone as good as the game they play as watching Roger Federer.

I'm not even a massive tennis fan, but that guy was ridiculous.

So yeah, who do you think is the greatest or most talented sportsperson you've ever watched - the sports you follow or otherwise?

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ronnie O'Sullivan when his head is screwed on

That would be my answer too. As much of a tosspot as the man can be, the things he does on the table are unlike anything I've seen. The fact that he can do it all with either hand and often without seeming to care is amazing.

His 147 break compiled in 5 minutes, 20 seconds was truly remarkable. The fluency and sheer nonchalance with which he cleared up epitomised the natural talent he has.

26 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

That would be my answer too. As much of a tosspot as the man can be, the things he does on the table are unlike anything I've seen. The fact that he can do it all with either hand and often without seeming to care is amazing.

His 147 break compiled in 5 minutes, 20 seconds was truly remarkable. The fluency and sheer nonchalance with which he cleared up epitomised the natural talent he has.

Back when they got serious money for a 147 break. Shows how much things have changed in the last 20 years. I always like the clip where just a couple of shots in he asks what the prize is for a 147, keeps playing until he finds out, then tries to leave the black when he finds out that there's no extra prize...and is then forced to pot the final black to keep the fans happy. Crazy talent.

I read the thread title and instantly thought of Federer. The man is on another planet in tennis and for me, the elite tennis players are the best athletes in all of sport. So definitely Roger.

Dennis Bergkamp is a great shout too. He was magic with the ball at his feet. He was the first footballer I was ever shown and I soon got into the sport not least because of how intriguing he made the game look.

Usain Bolt is probably one guy I've seen that never really had an equal during his run at the top, and he retired there. 

Jon Jones is probably the most talented MMA fighter and maybe the most naturally talented combat sports athlete in history. 

Roy Jones Jr. is probably the most skilled boxer I've seen. 

Speaking of Federer, Serena is on a whole other level entirely if you asked me. She makes her peers look ordinary at times. Plus her length at the top is a little longer that Feds if I'm not mistaken. 

Matt Fraser is a ridiculous athlete and had crushed the Crossfit Games for the past three years, absolutely no equal to him right now. 

Jordan probably is the right answer? Just always destined to be the best ever, although maybe coming up in the era where big men were supposed to be what brought you championships just focused his mindset so much more on being the best. Would be interesting to see how he'd be if he came up now. Probably still the best ever, but how crazy would his mindset be? 

On the Mat Fraser note, Tia-Clair Toomey does much the same thing in the women’s division. And is an Olympian. And won Commonwealth gold.

Also LeBron. I never watched Jordan in his prime (NBA wasn’t as accessible for a kid back in the early 90s in the UK) but watching LeBron is special.

In terms of watching them in the flesh, Gerrard and Suarez. 

Some of the stuff Suarez was pulling off in 13/14 was absolutely ridiculous and was an absolute joy to watch live. 

Gerrard not only was a fantastic player but some of the moments he produced single handedly through sheer drive and emotion were second to none. 

Federer and the Williams sister's. Top of their game for so long. 

Bolt transcended athletics. He became must watch whenever he was racing and I don't think there'll be anyone who will come close to him. 

Anderson Silva in his prime was a joy to watch just absolutely smashing people. 

Mayweather, whilst not the most exciting he was technically so far above the rest. 

Jonah Lomu. The first true rugby superstar. Built like a tank and could do the 100m in near Olympic times. Just unstoppable. I still remember the Underwoods hanging off him in the World Cup in '95 I think. That was back when I used to watch a lot of rugby.

• Like 3

Something I saw myself (albeit through TV), Dirk Nowitzki's 2010-2011 Playoff performance, this is a guy who effectively had one other scorer on the team in Jason Terry off the bench, a bunch of players that were well past their primes in Kidd, Marion, Peja, and a bunch of downright average players, and he just put the team on his back as they beat the red-hot Blazers, sweep the defending three-peat Lakers, go 4-1 against an OKC that had three future MVP's and Serge Ibaka, and finally take down the big three Miami Heat in their first year.

Everyone expected the Mavs to get firmly beat in every playoff matchup, they won them all and through injury and sickness Dirk Nowitzki was this unstoppable presence that just delivered every single game and willed himself and a team of players who never got a ring to their first (and probably only) title.