What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I also watched The Human Centipede. Which I thought was kinda funny.

The Human Centipede's biggest crime is that it's quite boring considering the subject.

But even "considering the subject"...there isn't that much room for an exciting story. The basic idea is just gross-out nonsense, and there's no way they could have really padded much of a story to it. And then the rumour going around is that Human Centipede 2 will be...gasp...a BIGGER Centipede, with more people! Well, fuck, that adds to the narrative....how?

Also, fuck you for reminding me that River Of Darkness exists. My pathological need to watch bad movies is going to have to unearth that one eventually. Right after I get through the copy of Sharktopus and the collection of El Santo movies I just bought.

George A Romero really has to be the most over rated producer out there. I respect that he made the genre and all but his films are terrible

Diary of the Dead wasn't great and Survival was awful, but to say that Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are terrible is zombie blasphemy.

I also watched The Human Centipede. Which I thought was kinda funny.

The Human Centipede's biggest crime is that it's quite boring considering the subject.

But even "considering the subject"...there isn't that much room for an exciting story. The basic idea is just gross-out nonsense, and there's no way they could have really padded much of a story to it. And then the rumour going around is that Human Centipede 2 will be...gasp...a BIGGER Centipede, with more people! Well, fuck, that adds to the narrative....how?

Also, fuck you for reminding me that River Of Darkness exists. My pathological need to watch bad movies is going to have to unearth that one eventually. Right after I get through the copy of Sharktopus and the collection of El Santo movies I just bought.

It's not even that much of a gross out. You're kind of glad when the annoying girls have their mouths sown onto asses!

and I just finished watching Southland Tales a few minutes ago. Awesome movie, it's by the same guy who made Donnie Darko and I guess the guy put all of his money he made off of the DD and put it all into this film and it shows. With a great cast that includes The Rock, Sean William Scott, Justin Timberlake, and other familiar faces. The story is excellent and the movie is just awesome to look at. I definitely recommended this movie.

...you don't watch a lot of films do you?

and I just finished watching Southland Tales a few minutes ago. Awesome movie, it's by the same guy who made Donnie Darko and I guess the guy put all of his money he made off of the DD and put it all into this film and it shows. With a great cast that includes The Rock, Sean William Scott, Justin Timberlake, and other familiar faces. The story is excellent and the movie is just awesome to look at. I definitely recommended this movie.

...you don't watch a lot of films do you?

Actually that's all I really do.

And as for Night and Dawn by George A. Romero, I guess I shouldn't have said all of his movies since Night of the Living Dead is a classic. But I really didn't enjoy Dawn of the Dead all that much, I thought the remake was better. imo. I haven't seen Day of the Dead though, but saw a terrible remake on netflix the other night.

Edited by hot rod

I kind of agree with that last bit, actually. For as much as I know everyone loves the original Dawn of the Dead, I thought the remake was a lot more fun. I don't think it was a better film by any stretch, but given the choice I'd rather sit down, turn my brain off and watch the remake than sit through the original again. Sometimes a zombie film doesn't need to be anything more than just... fun. (I really liked the credits bit as well, where you get to find out what happened to them, but it doesn't take away from the 'happy' ending.) Also why I enjoyed Diary of the Dead. The story kind of sucked, but it was fun to watch it through a different perspective and some of the bits at the hospital were great, for example.

Needed that big moment where zombies completely outnumber the protagonists though.

There was some good parts to Diary, I really liked the first twenty or so minutes, but after they left the hospital and the gang 'kidnapped' (lack of a better word) them things just got kind of boring and just became the usual zombie movie, imo. With the bad ass random character, in Diary's case was the Amish guy, and when the gang let them leave, the one guy in the gang refused to let them go without enough food or supplies. I forgot the main character's name, but when she visits her house I also remember liking that scene quite a bit too. I think what really ruined it for me, was the horrible characters, especially the teacher with his poetic lines and stuff, I had a really hard time caring about the characters. I really wanted to like the movie, the dialogue was terrific as usual with Romero's films however the characters just ruined it for me.

Battle Los Angeles - was awesome. When you go to see something like that you expect a certain type of film. You expect cliches, bad dialogue and shitloads of unrealistic explosions. They mostly follow the same basic formula, and that formula should really be what you pay your money to see. Which is why I can't understand how it's gotten panned so much. It's a fun, balls out action movie with interesting characters and there's nothing overly offensive about it. I loved it. Helped that it only cost £2.50.

Oh, also watched American Beauty last night because I haven't seen it in a couple of years. Still my favourite film.

Edited by Pesci

Paul

Aside from a slow start and some awkward lines, I thought it was pretty funny. Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz were predominately aimed at a British audience, but Paul appeals to our cousins across the Pond, too. Which will hopefully give Pegg and Nick Frost well deserved world exposure.

Limitless

Pretty solid film. The narrating by Cooper at times got slightly boring and I felt it was quite monotonous but overall it was a great concept that they excecuted well.

Your signature is offensive. Justin Beiber is a treasure!

I watched MacGruber last night. It was really great. I never thought they could turn such a quick, quirky sketch into an interesting movie, but they did it.

Paul

Aside from a slow start and some awkward lines, I thought it was pretty funny. Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz were predominately aimed at a British audience, but Paul appeals to our cousins across the Pond, too. Which will hopefully give Pegg and Nick Frost well deserved world exposure.

I LOVE Hot Fuzz, and Shaun of the Dead was good fun too. But judging from the previews, I'm not sold on Paul. But I could also see it being the type of movie that they can't really show the good stuff in the previews. Is it a case of that, or was it just not as good as Fuzz and Shaun?