What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I watched all of the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" films except the remake last week.

The first is very creepy. It really is a classic and one of the best in genre. The second film is also good. It is not as creepy but is very interesting. It does a good job of mixing dream and reality.

The third film is okay. Freddy is less scary but the movie moves at a good pace and is acted well. Four and five are campy. They are fun movies but they lack the spirit of the first two.

Freddy's Dead is awful. In the first hour of the movie, Freddy is more Bugs Bunny and plays everything for laughs. It pissed me off that what Freddy could do and his history changed in this film. The ending sucked.

A New Nightmare redeems the franchise. I highly recommend any horror fan to check it out. Wes Craven made this movie before Scream, and you can see some of the elements in this movie in Scream. It is darker then the last three Nightmare movies and feels like a true sequel to the first three films in the franchise.

Easy A - 9/10

What a fucking fun movie! I wish I had seen this before I compiled my list, it would have knocked Predators off. Loved everything about it, aside from Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson's characters. At first they were fun too, but by the end the joke wore thin and they annoyed more than anything else.

I decided to watch one of the free movies available on Comcast OnDemand that I haven't heard of. Most of these have pretty terrible reviews, but I found one with Peter from Heroes and it has a 55% on Rotten Tomatoes so it at least might be decent. It's called Pathology and it is about a hospital's pathology department that decides to start a secret group with the goal to see who can commit the perfect murder. It also has the detective that dated Cuddy on House and Alyssa Milano. I'll edit in my rating of it when I finish watching.

Edit: 4/10. It was a good idea with bad implementation.

I decided to watch one of the free movies available on Comcast OnDemand that I haven't heard of. Most of these have pretty terrible reviews, but I found one with Peter from Heroes and it has a 55% on Rotten Tomatoes so it at least might be decent. It's called Pathology and it is about a hospital's pathology department that decides to start a secret group with the goal to see who can commit the perfect murder. It also has the detective that dated Cuddy on House and Alyssa Milano. I'll edit in my rating of it when I finish watching.

Hope you like it better than I did. Horrific.

Hope you like it better than I did. Horrific.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I think it could have been a lot better if any of the character development made sense.

It's almost like Ted/main character didn't cheat on his girlfriend by the end of it.

The Social Network

Finally watched it and okay, you guys were right, it's really good. Not my favorite film of 2010, though I probably would've edited into my top 10 if the voting thread was still open. I liked it a lot, everyone did a damn good job and if Trent Reznor doesn't win an Oscar tomorrow, the Academy licks balls.

• Like 1

Just watched Alien for the first time ever (yes, I know, it's awful of me). It was good, and fun, but I've got the other three to watch and really can't see myself finding anything fresh by watching them. Are they all different enough to watch through or would I be best just accepting that the first is good and the rest are a lot of the same?

Also, about to start watching BSG (new version) but my Sky box fucked up and missed the first two episodes. I understand there's also a prequel TV movie, is that right? Would I be missing anything monumental by not watching them or should I hunt them out before I watch episode three onwards.

Just watched Alien for the first time ever (yes, I know, it's awful of me). It was good, and fun, but I've got the other three to watch and really can't see myself finding anything fresh by watching them. Are they all different enough to watch through or would I be best just accepting that the first is good and the rest are a lot of the same?

Also, about to start watching BSG (new version) but my Sky box fucked up and missed the first two episodes. I understand there's also a prequel TV movie, is that right? Would I be missing anything monumental by not watching them or should I hunt them out before I watch episode three onwards.

Alien is a horror film. Aliens is not a horror film per se. Those two are the most different, and IMO the two that you NEED to watch. Alien3 is not a favorite of mine at all, but it does try to do something different as well. Alien Resurrection is a miced bag of really cool and really shit. All in all, each film has its own unique feel and tone for the most part. I recommend you watch all four.

If you have not see the BSG MiniSeries that started it all, I would say track that down and then go from there. While I am sure you can miss some episodes and stay in the know, I do not recommend you do that. Hell, the first episode of the regular series is one of the greatest of the whole series, and it would be a damn shame for you to miss that one.

Watched Serenity. At first I was feeling mighty let down by it, as it just felt...wrong. However by the second half of the movie I was into it, and by the end I just wanted more. 8/10

Aliens is much more fun. I love all of them, but I'd probably say Aliens is one of, if not my all time favourite film. It's the perfect action/sci-fi as far as I'm concerned. Sigourney Weaver, Lance Henrikson and Michael Biehn are all on top form and even most of the Marines that you see very little of have fun characters. Hudson may be my most quoted character of all time. Alien is the horror. Aliens is the action. Alien3 is only worth watching if you like Aliens and want more. Alien Resurrection... if you don't expect anything from it, it can be a fun way to kill some time. The supporting cast of characters is pretty awesome (if you pretend that Winoa Ryder wasn't in it), from Ron Pearlman being Ron Pearlman, Michael Wincott being basically a good guy version of his character from The Crow (for all of 10 minutes), Dan Hedaya and even a cameo from Grima Wormtounge himself!

Thinking about it, apart from the retarded turn it takes in the last like 20 minutes, Alien Resurrection is pretty badass. It's like the sci-fi equivalent of Commando or Collateral Damage, if you don't think about it too much and just enjoy the killing, it's a pretty good film.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil 7/10

It was, uh, funny. I think it'll, uh, be even uh, better when I can watch a copy that isn't a, uh, a workprint, if that ever uh, happens. Currently 15 minutes into Morning Glory (which uh, has been a pleasant surprise so far, plus uh, Jeff Goldblum and uh, Harrison, Harrison Ford!) and got The Switch with uh, Jason Bateman and uh, Jennifer Aniston (and EVEN uh, more Jeff Goldblum!) ready for after that. And then The Social Network. If I uh, feel like it.

They all need more uh, Goldblum though.

I'm not even quite sure who Jeff Goldblum is, but is this uh, an uh, reference to uh, Jeff Goldblum, or did you just uh, say that way too much? :shifty: