What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I watched the first 25 minutes of Scott Pilgrim and had to walk out. I know I'm trending into some fanboy territory with this one, but what a poor movie. It's never ending visual overload that's really obnoxious.

The fiancée and I are continuing our four-year tradition of staying in on New Year's, eating Mexican food and watching horror movies... I have no idea where all the hate for Jennifer's Body came from. Perfectly acceptable, extremely fun horror/comedy. I'm pissed at myself for buying into the negative reviews and not seeing it in the theater, it was really enjoyable.

I saw In Bruges for the first time. Lots of fun, I liked pretty much everything about it. Not much more to say though.

The fiancée and I are continuing our four-year tradition of staying in on New Year's, eating Mexican food and watching horror movies... I have no idea where all the hate for Jennifer's Body came from. Perfectly acceptable, extremely fun horror/comedy. I'm pissed at myself for buying into the negative reviews and not seeing it in the theater, it was really enjoyable.

I always heard that it was bad except for Adam Brody's awesome speech.

Anyways, I saw EASY A last night. I like how shockingly smart the Emma Stone character is, and it's really funny throughout. A little surprised by how good it was, but I had heard good things and it's nice to see a smart takeoff of the "this is just like an old book" teen comedy again.

I just watched Watching the Detectives on IFC the other day. Cillian Murphy was great and I felt that Lucy Liu fit her character well. This was the directorial debut for Paul Soter (from Broken Lizard) and it was based around Murphy and Liu meeting each other at Murphy's video store and their romantic relationship that follows. I give it a 8/10.

Easy A on Blu-Ray at the friend's house. And as everyone's been raving, Emma Stone is indeed fantastic in it.

I enjoyed it, but I found the only real redeeming feature was Stone, everything else was just... eh.

For shame, Stanley Tucci was awesome in it and I liked Thomas Haden Church.

Also, Alyson Michalka's cleavage had a nice supporting role, as well. :pervert:

Yeah, seriously! Her new boobs are like everywhere now.

And really, most of the supporting performances were very good. I know Lisa Kudrow gets flack for basically playing Phoebe every time out in major stuff, but she added a tad bit of vulnerability and a shitload of bitch to her role. Tucci, Clarkson, and Church were all awesome, too.

I'm especially surprised that Will Gluck went from directing an occasionally funny, super sexist movie like Fired Up to a movie that actually does a great job of building life out of its female protagonist.