What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Firm

This had been on my low priority rental list from LOVEFiLM for about a year, and when it arrived the other day I knew if I didn't hurry up and watch it, I'd probably end up sending it back without doing so.

I found it to be very predictable, nowhere near as much violence as similar films like Green Street and Football Factory - I'm just glad it only went on for an hour and twenty minutes.

I am watching the Straight to DVD/BR sequel to 30 days of night right now.

It´s very well produced for a straight to DVD release, i wouldend even say the acting is terrible... it´s just written bad in a way that it makes you feel everyone in it is an ideot.

Just watched that as well. I'd probably give it around 6.5/10. It was certainly a decent movie, nothing really wrong with it at all. That said, it also wasn't anything special and of course wasn't as good as the first one. The ending was pretty decent though, although I cant see a third being made despite them leaving it open to do so.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World, finally. Insanely fun, really enjoyed it.

Me too and I also really enjoyed it. It ultimately came across like a bunch of actors having a fuckton of tongue-in-cheek fun and that, most of the time, is what I want in a film. The fight sequences were amazing on the big screen and, on the whole, Edgar and Nira did a damn good job of condensing the source material into a palatable movie.

Would definitely recommend it and I can't wait for the DVD. Probably give it 9/10.

Just back from watching Buried. Was pretty strange with only one actor on screen but I have serious man love for Ryan Reynolds so there's nothing wrong with that. He's great in it too. Wasn't bad at all for a random film we only decided to watch because it was the only one starting when we realised how hard it was to join the local gym <_<

Let Me In

As a fan of Let the Right One In, I was nervous when I heard about an American remake because I didn't think American filmmakers would be as daring. I was wrong. While its primary criticism will likely be that it's not that different from the source material, it is still a damn good movie. Chloe Moretz is flat-out fucking amazing, and anyone who wrote off her work in Kick-Ass as "oh it's a little girl saying 'cunt,' she's not actually talented," are thoroughly proven wrong here. Kodi Smit-McPhee was no slouch either, and I have to wonder why there aren't more tremendous child actors like these running around. Whether you're a fan of the original or completely unfamiliar with it, go see this movie.

As a fan of Let the Right One In, I was nervous when I heard about an American remake because I didn't think American filmmakers would be as daring.

You wanted them to show underage poon, didn't you? For shame.

I'll be watching it soon, as well. Loved Let The Right One In.

In the Loop

Haven't ever actually seen the TV shows, but this was pretty quality. The American additions were good and pretty funny, while Malcolm Tucker obviously steals the show. Loved Capaldi in Skins, and he's better here. The ending, though, seemed pretty rushed and was a bit disappointing.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Words cannot even begin to describe how shit this was. The best characters (IMO) were missing, and it tried to set itself up for a sequel that (a) won't happen and (b) should have been the fucking story of this one to start with! Just make it the fighting tournament it should be so the franchise can die happy on the big screen.

The Other Guys

Despite thinking that Will Farrell is the devil incarnate, I loved this film. We barely stopped laughing all the way through. And the fact that he says that his wife (Eva Mendes) is "plain" and "dressed like a tramp" makes you want to punch him even more. I would've preferred it if The Rock and Samuel L Jackson were in the film longer, but when they were in it, they were amazing. So yeah, I really liked this film. 8.5/10

The Social Network is wonderfully made. Should be Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Score if the Academy can get over the fact that Trent Reznor is one half of that team, Best Screenplay (Adaptation, I think?), and I'd like to see Jesse Eisenberg for Best Actor and either Justin Timberlake or Andrew Garfield for Best Supporting Actor (or Armie Hammer but that will never happen). On first viewing I'll say 9/10, probably my favorite movie of 2010 with only (probably) True Grit to contend with it. Of course, I said the same of Scott Pilgrim (now probably my 2nd favorite though it's neck and neck with Toy Story 3) as well.

True Grit will probably (and looks like it'll deserve to) win the best picture Oscar. I really liked The Social Network and agree with a lot of what you said except the supporting actor stuff. I didn't think they were that great. The Screenplay was an adaptation, yeah, and I was discussing with a few friends how great Trent Reznor and his musical partner did on the score. Really helped the movie along quite nicely.

The Town

Went into this film with no real idea what it was about or who was involved as I was meant to be watching Buried, but my mates changed their mind. It took me a while to get into it because of this but, on the whole, it was a hell of a movie. The action sequences were brutal, the human drama didn't feel out of place, most of the characters (if a little clichéd) were well fleshed out and the acting (especially from Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall and Pete Postlethwaite) was generally solid. It was also really well paced IMO - it flitted really well between brisk and deliberate, depending on the situation. Only complaint I had was, due to the obvious desire for realism, some of the dialogue (which was another one of the film's strengths) ended up mumbled and unintelligible. Admittedly that may just be me and my shitty hearing, but it did spoil some of the sequences (especially with Doug and Jem).

Completely different to Scott Pilgrim, but it also gets 9/10.

Plus:

"It'll be like one of my sunny days" is easily one of my favourite movie quotes of all time and it's made even better by Doug welling up as he's watching Claire say it. Heart-wrenching stuff.

The Social Network

10/10

Go and see it. It's great.

What I took away from the movie is that the "Social Network" wasn't Facebook, but rather how our social networks and interactions shape the lives we live. The characters were all driven by the male ego, and everything else took a back seat. This is really clear in Mark Zucks character, but it's present in all the movie. Characters constantly create chaos and dissension around them not for their own good, but because of things like revenge, greed, jealousy that spur from minor social interactions. It's fascinating.