The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

The wireless controllers are third part and besides the 8bitdo ones, I don't think I've ever seen one with decent reviews.

What I WOULD recommend anyone who is grabbing one of these do - is grab an extender. I picked one up, they're generic since they just slot into that Nintendo standard port - and they add 10 feet to the cable. The SNES Classic controllers are a bit better, but even in this re-release the NES classic controllers are pitifully short.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Apsham said:

Octopath is out on the 13th and at an Expo in France, they announced four new/secret professions:

-Maître de guerre (Warlord)

-Enchanteur (Wizard)

-Augure (Augur)

-Seigneur des runes (Lord of the Rune).

Woah! What?! Are these prestige classes? New characters/paths?

1 minute ago, Apsham said:

News pretty much just broke - with the implications that they are secret professions I'm guessing that maybe they'll be characters you can't start as but find along the way? Interesting that it seems so magic heavy.

According to the reddit speculation, they think it may be one of the hybrid classes. Like Warlord would be Knight + Hunter. 

49 minutes ago, Apsham said:

I haven't been following the game - I rarely follow RPGs past the "yeah I want that" stage. Can you actually change professions? I figured characters would be locked in.

From what I understand, you can add a second profession to a character to make a special 'hybrid' class. So I can start as a Merchant, and then add the Knight as a subclass.....and I think they give each combo a fancy name

On 28/06/2018 at 22:53, Ruki said:

I remember the Kingdom of Loathing browser game. I spent a lot of time with that.

Is that still a thing? Wow. Let's see how many hours this costs me.

Octopath Traveler is getting a lot of good reviews! The only negative seems to be that the stories don't really intertwine (although apparently there is post game stuff where it does?). Tomorrow is too far away (although, I likely can't play until Sunday)

I'm going to continue using you as my source of information on this game @Ruki so deal with it. :P

So with the eight different storylines - how does the game play out? I'm imagining Seiken Densetsu 3 where you can choose from different characters, you see their intro bit and then recruit the others down the line and the story is the same from there on out basically. So the only reason to start as any other character would be to see their opening sequence? Or is it more dynamic than that as far as you're aware.

• Like 1

From what I've understood/played in the demo. You pick one character, do their chapter 1 and go around and collect the other 7 characters (If you want? I think you can go with 4...or 1 if you really want to). When you pick up a character, you do their chapter 1 story.

I believe it's 8 separate stories, that hint at being connected with the possibility of a final end game stuff (that nobody has found yet)