The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

3 minutes ago, Pentashám Jr. said:

I'm baffled that it ISN'T announced for the Switch because it's perfect for it. I was saying chuffed sarcastically... oops.

Oh, OK. I was going to say that it's an ideal fit for a handheld.

Also, speaking of Switch ports, Fortnite looks as though it's coming to the system.

I picked up Skyrim again, and what's weird about this time is that it feels like I am playing it properly. Before when the game first came out I was rushing through it to see everything, and when the special edition initially came out I was just trying mods and not really playing the story right.

This time I turned off subtitles and I'm listening to every conversation and letting things play out. I'm seeing things even at the start of the game that I didn't know happened because I never let conversations play out, and people show me or take me to things.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a couple of rounds of Fortnite on the Switch. The first was a 50 v 50 team game and I had no idea what I was doing. The second was a standard free-for-all, which was seemingly a "kill the other people" affair. It's nice that the game's free, and so I might dip in occasionally, but I can't see myself getting into it to any significant degree. Online shooters just aren't my thing.

I think I might be coming around on Pokemon Let's Go! It seems like a lighter, more relaxed form of Pokemon Yellow, which I'd actually prefer to the prospect of playing the game again. I've read that there are no random encounters, which eliminates one of the big annoyances I have with Pokemon games, and it just looks nice. Maybe I won't pay £40 for it, but I won't rule out giving it a look at some stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

The Yoshi game is pushed back to 2019 now? Booo. :(

I can't bring myself to tell Short Girl yet, but it does make sense.  Nintendo has their year planned, so Yoshi can be a nice palette cleanser for everyone not caught up in Smash hype after the holidays.  I have faith they'll manage to somehow make the cutest Switch game ever even cuter.

18 minutes ago, thatshortguy said:

I can't bring myself to tell Short Girl yet, but it does make sense.  Nintendo has their year planned, so Yoshi can be a nice palette cleanser for everyone not caught up in Smash hype after the holidays.  I have faith they'll manage to somehow make the cutest Switch game ever even cuter.

I remember seeing a clip for it during the hype for the Switch. I had assumed it’d be a console release day game, let alone waiting multiple years for it. I wants to Yosh yo.

• Like 1

When you guys say no random encounters in Pokemon Let's Go, are we talking an Earthbound system where you can see enemies and try to avoid them? 

Because surely they're not getting rid of wild battles? 

3 hours ago, King of Pain Ellis said:

When you guys say no random encounters in Pokemon Let's Go, are we talking an Earthbound system where you can see enemies and try to avoid them? 

Because surely they're not getting rid of wild battles? 

When you run into wild Pokemon you catch them like you do in Pokemon GO, but there are trainer battles.

17 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Is it possible for one of these pokey-folk to capture you?

I'm sure there's fangames that have that.

I think calling out that Nintendo had won E3 was kind of a short sighted thing - they announced some stuff, but none of it was really shocking and if none of it interested you - nothing that Reggie said to counteract the stock dropping was going to comfort you. When asked about it he basically said that Nintendo only announces/shows anything that's going to be out in the next 6-9 months... so if you're not super hyped on anything coming up? Sucks to be you I guess.

But even then, that was pointed out to be a bit of an out there statement - considering they showed Yoshi and Metroid Prime 4 last year amongst other stuff.